PDA

View Full Version : S&W Model 41

Denver
11-20-2005, 10:23 PM
Anyone here familiar with the 41? I have one that I've had for several years and don't use any longer, so decided to try selling it. I've listed it on several forums for a price that I think is very reasonable, but so far no takers. The latest turned it down because it doesn't have a cocking indicator. Why in hell should that make any difference? The gun is like new, shoots better than most shooters can shoot, yet for the lack of that feature, it somehow won't pass muster. I just can't see how it makes the gun better or more desirable. I don't know if the current guns have a cocking indicator. Maybe it was offered for a time and then discontinued. Maybe that is enough to make those models more attractive. Any thoughts?

Denver

Hairtrigger
11-20-2005, 10:28 PM
The S&W 41 is on my list of guns I am keeping an eye open for.
I just bought a Browning BPCR of I would be interested. I am not familure with the ins and outs of the 41 to know what is desireable. I suspect the cocking indicator is not the issue but an easy way to tell the age

45nut
11-20-2005, 11:12 PM
How much are you asking?

Denver
11-21-2005, 12:20 AM
How much are you asking?

I've been asking $475 plus the freight. That's a good deal less than the asking price of similar guns on GA and in ads I see on other forums. Never had anyone say I was asking too much. Just seems there's always some nit pickin item like the cocking indicator that I don't have. Why would you even need one on a paper puncher?

digital shooter
11-21-2005, 02:23 AM
The early 41's had a cocking indicator (a small pin protruding out the back of the slide) to indicate a loaded round. It was too expensive to continue making it, so the later guns (1980's,and up) don't include it. I guess the early guns are more valuable to collectors. I have an early gun in near mint condition with 4 barrels. Three of them are discontinued: a 7.5 in with muzzle brake and extended sight, a 4" bull barrel, and a 5.5 " with sliding sight extender. I have been told that the entire package is worth $1300+ by the S&W collectors. The early guns are selling for $700, the difficult barrels @$250-300 each.
TJP

9.3X62AL
11-21-2005, 12:33 PM
Denver--

That's a very fair price for that M-41.

I'm having similar responses from potential buyers with three 22 LR rifles I'm trying to sell for a friend. Nitpicking collector types.....like a flock of old ladies, pick pick pick. Makes ya nuts.

Throckmorton
11-21-2005, 12:50 PM
the cocking indicator is kind like trying to sell a ruger revo with the warning onthe barrel..it's not the one 'everyone' wants.Doesn't matter how they shoot or anything else,it's got to be 'the one'. [smilie=b:

as they say,I feel your pain.

felix
11-21-2005, 01:13 PM
The muzzle brake has been taken off of my barrel, and replaced with something in exchange. That was done when I was shooting competition in CT when I was there. The pistol team had several folks who worked for the various gun companies around there, and did services when required for better accuracy. ... felix

9.3X62AL
11-21-2005, 04:26 PM
I don't mean to sound judgemental of the collector folks, I'm just a lot more pragmatic about firearms than a lot of the collectors are. I understand the subtleties and nuances of, say, S&W revolvers......but my own context is in reference to the piece's utility or lack thereof. The critters were made to be fired and put to use afield--although the collectors would take vigorous issue with that assertion, I'm sure.

C1PNR
11-21-2005, 09:09 PM
I've been asking $475 plus the freight. That's a good deal less than the asking price of similar guns on GA and in ads I see on other forums. Never had anyone say I was asking too much. Just seems there's always some nit pickin item like the cocking indicator that I don't have. Why would you even need one on a paper puncher?
Shucks, I paid $415 for mine (7" barrel) back in 1988 and thought I'd done well at that time. 8)