PDA

View Full Version : New Lyman lead thermometer, anybody have one?

Hardcast416taylor
12-26-2017, 04:17 PM
I`m unsure if I want to spend $30 for the Lyman new lead probe thermometer. Does anybody have one and if so what do you think of it?Robert

KenT7021
12-26-2017, 04:42 PM
I have two.The first one didn't work.I called Lyman customer service and they shipped out a replacement the same day.The second one worked fine.I tried the thermocouple from the good one on the bad one and it worked as well.I obtained a replacement thermocouple for the bad one.They work well.I have compared the reading from a Lyman Mag25,the two digital thermometers,and a Brownells analog thermometer and they within a a degree or two of agreeing.

Seeker
12-26-2017, 05:09 PM
I have a Lyman and it seems to work well. I really don't care how accurate it is as far as exact temp. I use it as a reference. That is...I know at what temp. a certain boolit casts well at out of a particular mold according to the thermometer. Whether it is 675° or 700°. I keep track of what the thermometer read. It seems pretty consistent.

SGM5091
05-09-2018, 07:08 PM
Bought one from Midway, but it didn't work. Paper work that came with it said to contact Lyman, and gave a toll free number to call. After a very pleasant conversation with a rep, I was told they would send me a new one. When it came I checked it immediately, and found it worked well. Tried the new probe with the old unit, and found the old unit was fine. Found a new probe on eBay for a couple of bucks, and now have 2 working units. Love Lyman's Customer Service.

Boolit_Head
05-09-2018, 07:48 PM
Look for a Tel True they are the same thermometers as Lyman and all sell and you can get them for half the price.

greenjoytj
09-23-2018, 03:03 PM
Don't leave the probe in the melted lead too long, the heat goes up the metal probe into the plastic probe holder and softens the plastic. The plastic holder will harden up when cool, but too much of that heating might cause damage to the wires inside.
Just push the probe into the melt, take a temperature reading then remove the probe to let it cool.
This thermometer is not made for continuous emersion in the the melt.

osteodoc08
09-30-2018, 09:48 PM
I went with Hatch’s PID and haven’t looked back on using an analog thermometer. I have had Lyman and RCBS and Tru-Temp. They were all within 25-30* of each other.