PDA

View Full Version : Remington/Lyman 1858 Revlover

robert12345
12-26-2017, 03:49 PM
Lots of years ago, (maybe 50) my dad let me buy a Remington/Lyman 44 revolver from "farm hand" earnings.
As I remember, the gun cost new 65 bucks.

With it, I also got got a mould, powder, caps.
Shot the hell out of it.

Dammed thing shot high !

I learned years later that in the day, gun sights on military weapons had "battle sights."
Battle Sights were designed to shoot high, so a soldier could simply aim at the belt buckle, and get a hit.

I rather loved my 44 Remington, but detested the sights.
One autumn day, my sister decided to walk about a 1/2 mile into the deep draw that was below our house; and since it was hunting season, I went with her, and with me, went my Remington44. My neighbor Ralph tagged along.

We three crossed the fence and started walking, Ralph's dad was watching, and shouted at me, " you be careful with that dammed gun !"

We walked into a little aspen grove, and low, and behold, there was a grouse, where I'd never seen one, just sitting in a tree.
I leveled the gun sights, and fired, ...down it went.
Up popped another grouse, feeding from the ground, it landed in the same tree.. I cocked back the hammer, and fired again. Dropping that grouse from the tree.

We walked home, me with the two grouse, and as we popped out of the woods, there was Ralph's dad standing there, he had heard the two gun shots, and he was waiting to see of I'd killed my sister, and Ralph.

I .....holding two grouse.

Later Ralph's dad asked Ralph, where I'd hit the grouse, Ralph responded, that Bob had shot them both through the head.

Two shots two dead grouse,,,, ...........white feather......

Hell of it was, I was aiming at the body, not the head.

Damm those battle sights.

Hardcast416taylor
12-26-2017, 04:00 PM
YUP! I still have that same pistol that I bought new in 1969. Mine came with a single cavity Lyman mould for .451" RB. As I recall I ordered it from an ad in The Shotgun News paper, back when it was worth getting. I think I paid about the same amount for mine also. I have been `gifted` a conversion cylinder for it to fire .45 LC metal case rounds, just haven`t got around to it. Those pistols were made by Uberti in Italy.Robert

ascast
12-26-2017, 04:01 PM
ha ha

Geezer in NH
12-28-2017, 06:23 PM
Mines in .36 love it