PDA

View Full Version : Aluminum 1911 Receiver?

Green Frog
12-26-2017, 11:01 AM
About 30 years ago I bought several full size aluminum 1911 receivers from a California company called AMT, IIRC. I haven’t seen them listed for years, but lately have been wondering whether I could find another one for one more build. :coffee:

Does anybody know if they are still made by this or another company? Does anybody know of (an) available unused one(s) on a shelf somewhere? I think maybe they were marketed by SARCO, but no joy there (that I can find.) :coffeecom

Froggie

DougGuy
12-26-2017, 11:18 AM
You may want to look to Caspian Arms for an aluminum receiver, this is as good as any of them will ever get and they are priced accordingly..

NoZombies
12-26-2017, 11:54 AM
AMT was Arcadia Machine and Tool, and they specialized in Stainless guns and receivers. They built SS versions of the Ruger Mk2 pistol and 10/22 rifles (from actual stainless) before Ruger did. They also made 1911's and versions thereof, along with their line of "Automag" pistols and "backup" pistols.

I'm not aware of any guns or receivers they made in Aluminum, but it's certainly possible.

I agree that Caspian would be a good choice. Or you could check with Foster Industries, which sells Caspain's 'seconds' at generally deeply discounted prices.

country gent
12-26-2017, 12:17 PM
Kimber has some aluminum framed 1911s not sure if they would sell just a frame though. I do agree that caspian may be the best place to look. Might be interesting to find a scandium titanium frame for the extra weight reduction it offers.

izzyjoe
12-26-2017, 01:45 PM
I seen one years ago at a gunshow, and I don't remember the maker but I would have bought it, but the seller knew nothing about it. And I don't like buying guns built from parts unless I know the builder, or if the price is right.

Olut
12-26-2017, 03:53 PM
I bet you are talking about "Ranger Machine and Tool" of South El Monte, California. They had the letters "RMT" in a diamond shaped logo. These have been off the market for many years, but occasionally turn up at auctions.I used one to build a .45 several years ago. The frame is still holding up well

About 30 years ago I bought several full size aluminum 1911 receivers from a California company called AMT, IIRC. I haven’t seen them listed for years, but lately have been wondering whether I could find another one for one more build. :coffee:

Does anybody know if they are still made by this or another company? Does anybody know of (an) available unused one(s) on a shelf somewhere? I think maybe they were marketed by SARCO, but no joy there (that I can find.) :coffeecom

Froggie

skeettx
12-26-2017, 04:33 PM
YES, I have an RMT frame on a Colt Pre-War Ace slide and barrel
Great shooter
Mike

Walkingwolf
12-26-2017, 04:59 PM
Rock River Arms has a poly frame 1911, but it is pricey listed at $925. Not sure if the frame is available separate, but a poly frame is going to be much lighter than aluminum.

Green Frog
12-28-2017, 12:29 PM
Olut gets the gold star! As soon as I read the word “Ranger” in his post it all came back to me. While the aluminum receivers I got from them back then were on-spec and reasonably well finished, they were available dirt cheap - a major attraction to a struggling, deep in debt school teacher. I’d like to find another such affordable receiver just as a little side project, not something into which I’d like to make a big investment. Thanks again to all who replied. :coffeecom

Regards,
Froggie

Der Gebirgsjager
12-28-2017, 01:53 PM
They were also somehow associated with the Federal Ordnance Corp. of So. El Monte, CA, which sold the Ranger line of 1911s either as frames or complete pistols. I built 3 of them "back in the day" and the frames were perfectly satisfactory. I'd suggest that you revisit SARCO and see if you can still pick up one of the Para Ordnance frames that they've been selling in quantity for a couple of years now.

justashooter
12-28-2017, 02:58 PM
i have a crown city on a purple anodized aluminum frame that is light for a full size 1911 type. shoots well. a bells and whistles gun.

55fairlane
12-28-2017, 07:49 PM
A buddy of mine built an aluminum framed 1911 from an 80% unit, several thousand rounds later still shooting fine.....if I were gonna go with an aluminum framed 1911, I would heavily consider hard coat anodized......my Sherline mill is hard coated, no visible wear.....

Herb in Pa
12-29-2017, 11:23 AM
I bought this RMT frame in the mid 70's for use on my Colt Conversion unit. Frame is anodized, but grip safety, hammer and trigger are in the white.

rkrcpa
12-29-2017, 02:12 PM
Here is my Federal Ordnance frame from the 80's. It's been a standard 45 in it's previous life but I am changing it around a bit, maybe convert to 22lr. A buddy of mine has two of these, one I believe is still NIB.

https://i.imgur.com/Hp4KDOy.jpg

It has a Federal Ordnance SN but is marked RMT on the frame

barkerwc4362
12-31-2017, 12:39 PM
Not all of the Federal Ordnance frames are satisfactory. I bought a commander sized frame in the early 80s and would not recommend it to anyone. It presently is the foundation for a Ciener based 22 rimfire. It was starting to show a stress crack around the slide release hole. It had been the foundation for a .38 Super and a .41 AE carry gun in the past. It was not fired a lot.

Bill

Green Frog
12-31-2017, 07:06 PM
Well, it looks like I waited about 30 years too long for this project! :coffeecom As I observed on a 1911 Forum, I really thought that with all the folks cranking out cheap but relatively good AR receivers that there should be at least one or two similar 1911 frames... but apparently I was wrong. I've got a lot of miscellaneous 1911 parts stashed including a Rem-Rand slide somebody already altered with a set of Bomar sights. I guess I'll either hold out for a top shelf frame to build a first class gun (to go with my other three) or send the slide and non-consumables down the road for somebody else to use. It's not like I really need another project at this stage in my life. :rolleyes:

Thanks again to all who replied,
Froggie

PS Happy New Year! [smilie=p:

barkerwc4362
01-03-2018, 09:45 PM
Even Essex stopped selling their stripped frames. They apparently moved their operation from New Hampshire to Florida, but don't sell frames anymore. They are now part of High Standard I believe. I built three 1911s on their frames. Two Commander sized and one full sized. I have a Caspian made Foster frame on my SHTF Government sized .45. Also, have a Series 80 Colt frame built into a target pistol. I believe Fusion will sell you a frame.

Bill