PDA

View Full Version : Same load for .32 S&W Long and .32 H&R Magnum?

kbhiltsley
08-21-2008, 11:07 PM
Need advice on a compromise load. My wife is shooting SASS with Ruger Super Single Sixes in .32 H&R Magnum. I’m reloading using both .32 S&W Long and .32 H&R Mag cases. Loading a 98gr LRN hard cast bullet, using Bullseye powder. I’d like to use the same load when using both cases, and I’m thinking of 2.5gr of Bullseye. This would be an easy answer, because I have an old Pacific powder measure with a drum that throws exactly 2.5gr of Bullseye, making for some fast reloading without weighing.

According to my reloading data, 2.5gr is close to maximum for the .32 S&W Long, but also below the “recommended” starting loads for the .32 H&R Mag. Given the higher pressure capabilities of the Ruger in .32 H&R Mag, am I correct thinking that this load would be safe for loading in both size cases? Don’t want pressure problems, and I sure don’t want squibs.

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks,
Kel Hiltsley

Dale53
08-21-2008, 11:56 PM
kbhiltsley;
The .32 S&W Long load is over SAAMI pressures but will certainly be safe in the Ruger Single Six and is not too light in the .32 H&R cases.

It should work just fine. The only problem you COULD have is if that 2.5 grs of Bullseye ends up in an owlhead or other light framed revolver - that wouldn't be so good:twisted:.

Dale53

Lloyd Smale
08-22-2008, 04:27 AM
I run 2.8 in both but there all shot out of rugers.