PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning flintlock question

Wayne Smith
12-25-2017, 06:09 PM
Is it truly necessary to pull the lock every time I use my flintlock? This is recommended by the builder (TVMuzzleloading). I did not see anything on the inside of the lock the two times I've removed it and cleaned it. Did not remove it after this last outing and am wondering if I should.

2nd question - expected life of a flint? About 30 shots plus random snapping makes maybe 40? It came with the rifle, no idea of the quality.

square butte
12-25-2017, 06:26 PM
If you really want to get your lock clean and eliminate possibility of corrosion - removing it is the only way i've been able to do that. I have been shooting flintlocks for well over 50 years. I have flints on a couple of guns with 75 plus shots and show no signs of being all done. As long as it's still throwing good spark ( no matter what it looks like ) and the frizzen is functioning properly - keep on using it. Its gonna be different for each flint and each lock - no set answer

pietro
12-25-2017, 08:38 PM

I routinely remove the lock of both by rock & cap lock guns when I first obtain them, clean/lube the inside, then re-install the lock with a very small bead of grease around the edge, wiping off the excess/squeeze-out after it's installed.

After that, I've never had an issue with a sidelock.

rfd
12-25-2017, 10:32 PM
it's too easy to pull the lock and give it a proper cleaning, so why not? all that bp residue that's been blown into the lock is just waiting to be given the time to react with air and do nasty, regrettable things. treat yer gun well and she'll do you well in return.

flint life depends on many many factors. always use good flints, such as english black or french amber. lock geometry plays a big part, too. keep the flint set right and keep it sharp. it could easily do 50 firings - or lots more.

Dryball
12-26-2017, 03:52 AM
A custom builder taught me a trick and it works great. Roll a small snake of plumbers' putty and put it against the outside edge of the lock mortise. Insert your lock screws and tighten to the correct depth. When your lock is secured clean off any squeeze-out. The trick is to make the snake small enough so the squeeze-out won't get into the inside workings of your lock.

Beagle333
12-26-2017, 05:44 AM
Mark Humphries shows how easy it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRQ8RCtlTmc

silly goose
12-26-2017, 08:33 AM
Even simpler to remove the lock to clean it and behind it. The piece of mind alone is priceless.

waksupi
12-26-2017, 01:29 PM
I always remove a lock to clean. Much easier to clean nooks and crannies, both on the breech area, and the lock. It's handy to just wash the lock under a stream of water with an old toothbrush. (Be sure to use wife's!)
With a good lock and flint management, I fully expect to get at least 100+ shots from a flint.

Gtek
12-26-2017, 02:02 PM
Putting anything to bed dirty has always bothered me. I can still hear "weapon and (behind) clean, then you can hit the sack", I miss Dad every day! The amount of time involved in removal and cleaning compared to the polishing, fitting time and potential damage and possible needed replacement. The time required is part of the experience and by far the need exceeds the loss of minutes in my head.