PDA

View Full Version : did i ever tell you I live in Christmas!

Lloyd Smale
12-25-2017, 09:23 AM
No joke. I live on jinglebell lane in Christmas Michigan!

Rick Hodges
12-25-2017, 10:03 AM
Well have a Merry Christmas Lloyd.....perhaps a steak at Foggy's to celebrate the New Year.
Wishing you and yours a great holiday season.

frkelly74
12-25-2017, 10:06 AM
I have been through there a few times. I am planning on driving to the UP next summer with a couple of grand sons if they aren't too busy. Where are the good fishing holes? I was near Christmas when we lived in Florida, It is on Highway 50 between Orlando and Titusville. It is kind of out there in Old Florida.

tommag
12-25-2017, 10:11 AM
I bet that gets interesting when you use the telephone to order stuff. I used to live at 260 Remington rd. Lots of comments from mail order places.

Lloyd Smale
12-25-2017, 10:12 AM
Old foggy was my snowmobiling partner and drinking buddy back in the day. He hit a bit harder then me though and lost his leg to sugar. His two sons run the place now but hes still there most days. Hes been sober though for about 15 years since he lost his leg. He was quite the character in his younger days.
Well have a Merry Christmas Lloyd.....perhaps a steak at Foggy's to celebrate the New Year.
Wishing you and yours a great holiday season.

Lloyd Smale
12-25-2017, 10:13 AM
Ya they usualy get a chuckle out of it. Most of the phone operators at midway remember me when I call.
I bet that gets interesting when you use the telephone to order stuff. I used to live at 260 Remington rd. Lots of comments from mail order places.

dverna
12-25-2017, 10:17 AM
Beats living in Hell Michigan. I knew I guy who lived there.

labradigger1
12-25-2017, 10:29 AM
Beats living in Hell Michigan. I knew I guy who lived there.

I thought Hell was kalifornia?

fiberoptik
12-25-2017, 02:19 PM
I lived in Saginaw. Never knew we had a Christmas, Mi.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hickory
12-25-2017, 02:30 PM
Beats living in Hell Michigan.

I thought Hell was kalifornia?

Hell is where democrats make policy and the republicans agree with them.

castalott
12-25-2017, 02:50 PM
And I was just sure a post the next day would start out... " Sorry guys..I had too much eggnog on....."

[smilie=s:

That is an interesting address though...

castalott
12-25-2017, 02:52 PM
Hell is where democrats make policy and the republicans agree with them.

reminds me of the Harry Truman quote...

" I don't give 'em hell... I just tell 'em the truth and they think it's Hell"

wcp4570
12-25-2017, 06:39 PM
I’ve been thru Christmas Michigan. I was stationed at K. I. Sawed AFB in 1982 - 85. It was beautiful there but the winters were brutal. The UP was a very unique place to live and glade I was fortunate enough to have experienced it. We saw things you just don’t see in Texas.

wcp4570

nicholst55
12-25-2017, 07:41 PM
I've been to Nowhere (AZ), and passed through North Pole (AK) many times. Never been to Christmas (MI), though.

DougGuy
12-25-2017, 08:16 PM
Pretty cool Lloyd! Merry Christmas in Christmas!

Lloyd Smale
12-26-2017, 07:01 AM
It was closed a few years after you were there. I grew up and went to school in Gwinn when KI was in its prime. You would shed a tear if you saw it now. It used to kept so nice. Homes all painted lawns manicured. Now its turned into low income housing and Indian housing. paints pealing off everything, windows are broke everywhere and they even ship low income people from Detroit up here offering them free homes. My dad worked at the central heating plant and my ma taught school at McDonald elementary there. It about brings a tear to there eye when they drive through there now.
I’ve been thru Christmas Michigan. I was stationed at K. I. Sawed AFB in 1982 - 85. It was beautiful there but the winters were brutal. The UP was a very unique place to live and glade I was fortunate enough to have experienced it. We saw things you just don’t see in Texas.

wcp4570

EMC45
12-26-2017, 02:36 PM
I was telling my wife the other day about your address. Very neat.

buckwheatpaul
12-26-2017, 04:26 PM
That is way cool.....still believe in Santa?

wcp4570
12-26-2017, 04:34 PM
It was closed a few years after you were there. I grew up and went to school in Gwinn when KI was in its prime. You would shed a tear if you saw it now. It used to kept so nice. Homes all painted lawns manicured. Now its turned into low income housing and Indian housing. paints pealing off everything, windows are broke everywhere and they even ship low income people from Detroit up here offering them free homes. My dad worked at the central heating plant and my ma taught school at McDonald elementary there. It about brings a tear to there eye when they drive through there now.

Yea I knew that Sawyer closed, I've been assigned to 4 different bases that have been closed. In my opinion the Government closed some good bases and yes its sad to see those base a few years after they close. They are normally turned over to the state or county and they don't have the funds to keep them up like the military did. I was assigned to the F106 unit and that unit was deactivated in 1985 which was the reason I left K.I. We lived on base and our son went to school in Gwinn. The last month we were in the UP we rented a cabin on Little Shag lake and I put my boat in and fished every single day until we left. It was great fun and good memories. We enjoyed snowmobiling, ice fishing, smelting (that was an experience), summer time fishing and camping.

wcp4570

bob208
12-26-2017, 09:12 PM
in pa to get to paradise you have to get to bird in hand then intercourse.

bedbugbilly
12-26-2017, 10:07 PM
My wife was born and raised in L'Anse-so I've been through Christmas a number of times. Many years ago, when we were in college, we broke down in Christmas in the wee hours of the morning as we were on our way to her folks for a holiday. State Police stopped and then went and got a fellow they knew who could help us out - he wouldn't take a dime for his help and I've never forgotten his great kindness to a couple of newlyweds.

I would imagine you are probably waist deep in snow by now? Hope you had a nice Christmas in Christmas and best wishes for a happy and healthy New Year!

poppy42
12-26-2017, 11:21 PM
And believe it or not there is a Christmas, Florida! Take SR 50, out of Titusville and you will run right through it. There is even a fort Christmas! The town got its name during the second Seminole war in 1837. Just an example of the Plethora of useless knowledge I possess!

Lloyd Smale
12-27-2017, 06:38 AM
yup smelting, pasties and cudighi are 3 of our hidden secrets. Nothing like a smelt net, a nice fire and a box of beer!! My sister and her husband have a home on Little shag. So does my brother in laws parents. 1985 is the year I left Gwinn too. at the time I worked at the power plant in Marquette and drove every day from Gwinn. I took a job in Escanaba at a different power plant that year and moved there. Worked there for 5 years and ended up here as an electrical lineman. Other then 8 years in the military ive been up here all my life. Winters get old as I get older but I still wouldn't want to live anywhere else. Sad though. the way that base looks know theyd have been better off bulldozing it flat
Yea I knew that Sawyer closed, I've been assigned to 4 different bases that have been closed. In my opinion the Government closed some good bases and yes its sad to see those base a few years after they close. They are normally turned over to the state or county and they don't have the funds to keep them up like the military did. I was assigned to the F106 unit and that unit was deactivated in 1985 which was the reason I left K.I. We lived on base and our son went to school in Gwinn. The last month we were in the UP we rented a cabin on Little Shag lake and I put my boat in and fished every single day until we left. It was great fun and good memories. We enjoyed snowmobiling, ice fishing, smelting (that was an experience), summer time fishing and camping.

wcp4570

Rick Hodges
12-27-2017, 09:32 AM
yup smelting, pasties and cudighi are 3 of our hidden secrets. Nothing like a smelt net, a nice fire and a box of beer!! My sister and her husband have a home on Little shag. So does my brother in laws parents. 1985 is the year I left Gwinn too. at the time I worked at the power plant in Marquette and drove every day from Gwinn. I took a job in Escanaba at a different power plant that year and moved there. Worked there for 5 years and ended up here as an electrical lineman. Other then 8 years in the military ive been up here all my life. Winters get old as I get older but I still wouldn't want to live anywhere else. Sad though. the way that base looks know theyd have been better off bulldozing it flat

Eventually they will.....bulldoze it......like most government "Project Housing".
Lloyd I'm not in the UP but winters seem to be more problematic for me...woke up it is -4F and I just want to roll over and go back to bed. I just hate going out to clear out the mess that the plow dumped in my driveway approach.

cattleskinner
12-27-2017, 05:15 PM
I think about you Everytime my wife and I head to the UP. She is from the Escanaba/Gladstone area, and went to NMU before graduating and moving to Grand Rapids and then Ohio when we got together. Her dad lived at KI after retiring from the military. She still has family in Marquette and Esky. It is tempting to move up that way, it is the nine plus hr drive North and uprooting the kids from what they know that holds me up.

Lloyd Smale
12-28-2017, 06:59 AM
the wife is from Escanaba. I lived there myself for 6 years. Nice town and only about half the snow we get here in Munising/Christmas. If you ever decide to come up you might want to look at that area as the winters are much closer to what you are used to in Ohio.
I think about you Everytime my wife and I head to the UP. She is from the Escanaba/Gladstone area, and went to NMU before graduating and moving to Grand Rapids and then Ohio when we got together. Her dad lived at KI after retiring from the military. She still has family in Marquette and Esky. It is tempting to move up that way, it is the nine plus hr drive North and uprooting the kids from what they know that holds me up.

CIC
12-28-2017, 07:48 AM
That is way cool.....still believe in Santa?
Buckwheatpaul, I am 43 and I believe in Santa Clause, Santa Clause Indiana that is. It is just up the road from us.

Hardcast416taylor
12-28-2017, 03:05 PM
Back in the `60`s when my group of friends went to the U.P. deer hunting we would make a detour and drive thru your burg. Thank`s for reminding me about the place, I had almost forgot about it. At one time we hunted in Paradise up by White Fish Point.Robert

rondog
12-28-2017, 03:25 PM
Never been to Christmas, MI, but I went to Hell, MI one year ON Christmas day! Was working on the road then, living in motels. Happened to be in MI, had nothing else to do. Only time I was ever away from home on Xmas, ate Xmas dinner in some restaurant in Hell. 1986 I think, don't miss those days much.

Lloyd Smale
12-29-2017, 06:43 AM
that's some real pretty country. Problem there is snow. they get it even worse then us. theres lake affect snow there probably 90 percent of days all winter long. Its why he deer heard is small around there. Winters take there toll on them.
Back in the `60`s when my group of friends went to the U.P. deer hunting we would make a detour and drive thru your burg. Thank`s for reminding me about the place, I had almost forgot about it. At one time we hunted in Paradise up by White Fish Point.Robert

ericp
12-29-2017, 08:42 AM
I'm from Tapiola just South of Houghton. Used to go through Christmas all the time visiting family. May have stopped in Foggy's once or twice on the way back! The last few winters were tough on our deer over here too. About 2012-13 our deer herd was huge, now I'm hunting hard to find shootable deer back in the thick stuff.

Eric

bedbugbilly
12-29-2017, 11:55 AM
ericp - "Tapiola" . . . I'm trying to say it right . . . Tapi OOO la!. :-) That brought back some fond memories as well. When my wife and I were going back and forth to L'Anse when her folks still lived there, she had a classmate that was from Pelkie. Every year, when we were up there, it wasn't a complete trip for me until we went out to the Pelkie Coop so I could buy a new pair of work boots. Beautiful country up there and I always enjoyed deer hunting with my father-in-law up there. I never got a deer but sure did enjoy the beauty of the woods not to mention Lake Superior!

Scorpion8
12-29-2017, 12:11 PM
No joke. I live on jinglebell lane in Christmas Michigan!

Ah, but Santa lives at the North Pole, which is in Alaska. North Pole, AK 99705

ericp
12-29-2017, 08:29 PM
Bedbug,
Sad to say the Co-op is long gone and even the Pelkie school has shut down. Recently there has been talk of taking away the post office down there which would be a real bummer. Good news is the Ottawa Sportsman's Club is going strong and we still have Karvakko's Market up in Tapiola! Not sure what heaven looks like but I really can't imagine it being much different than the Keweenaw Peninsula.

Eric

Lloyd Smale
12-30-2017, 07:14 AM
he probably just winters down south here:bigsmyl2:
Ah, but Santa lives at the North Pole, which is in Alaska. North Pole, AK 99705

6bg6ga
12-30-2017, 07:41 AM
Its cold here in Iowa at -1 right now and I cannot imagine how cold it is up there near the lakes.

Lloyd Smale
12-31-2017, 07:22 AM
here in Munising this time of the year its usually about 5-10 degrees warmer then the surrounding towns. We get winds off of lake superior and the water is warmer then the air right now and that gives us a bit of warmth but also gives us piles of lake effect snow. Its gotten a smidge below zero a couple times but for the most part over the last couple weeks temps have been hovering around 10 degrees here.