PDA

View Full Version : Texan Press Question

tred1956
12-25-2017, 12:48 AM
Hi,
Have an opportunity to purchase this press, but don't have a clue of value or strength. Pros or cons any input would be appreciated
Thanks in advance
Doug

LUBEDUDE
12-25-2017, 06:37 AM
That press sure is in good shape. It looks new to lightly used. Also, it looks like a set of RCBS dies may be included.

That press design was made in two configurations, aluminum or cast iron; with the exception that the lever arm is aluminum on the cast iron frame.

Price is subjective, especially since they are sporadically offered up for sale. Thus, I can only tell you what they are worth to me if I was looking for one. I would only go up to $40-45 on the aluminum model. I would be willing to go as high as $70-75 for the cast iron model considering how nice it is, IF it is cast iron. I have a suspicion that it is. The aluminum press is very light, just 6-8 pounds. The cast iron press will double that. Also a magnet will not stick to the aluminum one, but will stick to the frame of the iron one, frame only, not the handle.

As far as the dies, I don’t add any value to since they are usually either in rough shape or not what I need. I just look at them as a bonus.

Others may think I am high, or too low. Again, that is what I’d be willing to pay if in the market.

I forgot, strength; they don’t have the compound leverage of a Rockchucker or other more modern designs. For general loading the Texans will work fine. I would not use them for heavy duty use like swaging or rifle case reforming.

But there is a sense of satisfaction and experiencing history when using vintage equipment.

Good luck

Pressman
12-25-2017, 07:37 AM
What Lubedude said, he has it 100 percent right.
Ken

Looks new, in the box with instructions, grab it quick.

rancher1913
12-25-2017, 01:35 PM
if you get it and want its big brother, I have the shotshell loader.

TNsailorman
12-25-2017, 02:08 PM
Yes, grab it.