PDA

View Full Version : Dillon550 powder funnel die 50 GI and 500L

krems
12-24-2017, 09:47 PM
Have any of you made your own powder funnel dies for the Dillon 550 press?...I need to make one so I can load some 50 GI rounds and 500 Linebaugh and I don稚 know of anyone making one for these calibers. I知 already set up with dies and shellholders. I have a machine shop so I値l make a few of them. Question...what metal alloy should I use to make the powder funnel sizing die. (Lyman M style) ??? Will I need to heat treat this after to harden it some??...I値l be making this on a Monarch EE manual lathe so I値l be using HSS or carbide insert tooling. Thanks in advance.

dillonhelp
12-26-2017, 11:28 AM
The Dillon powder funnel for 50 Action Express and 500 S&W also works for 500 Linebaugh. We don't offer one for 50 GI, as it would need a longer funnel and a different profile. Dillon handgun powder funnels are carbo-nitrate heat treated to the mid-60s on the Rockwell C scale. If you make the funnel from drill rod or tool steel, you can probably get away without hardening, but case-hardening the flaring portion will give it a longer life. Kasenite should work for this. Follow the profile for a 45ACP funnel, with the larger funnel body diameter and expander dimensions scaled up.

krems
12-26-2017, 05:52 PM
DillonH....Thanks for the info. I have some kasenite at the house as well. Going to try a couple of different steels. I thought about using the 50AE for the 50GI but wasn’t sure about the OAL of the funnel. Also... my 500L uses a .512” bullet instead of the .501” used in the 500SW.