PDA

View Full Version : Older Hornady LnL Auto Progressive: Primer seater assembly issue

dogfood
12-24-2017, 03:19 PM
Good day all ... Merry Christmas Eve ... and a belated Happy Hanukkah as well ...

I've got an older Hornady LnL Auto Progressive - late 90's IIRC. The problem I'm having is with the primer seater assembly. In my version of the press, the primer assembly is a threaded affair, held in place from the back side of the carrier sub plate with a round knurled nut. Per the instructions, the nut is supposed to be finger-tight.

My issue: The nut loosens over time, sometimes in less than 100 rounds. Then the assembly floats upward out of its recess - and then the primer slide jams. Not much fun. I've pulled it all apart, cleaned it all up (especially the mating threads on nut and shaft), but it still loosens on its own.

Anyone got a good trick to fix this? Sure, I can Loctite it, but when I want to get it out to switch primer sizes, I'm hosed. There's really nothing to grab onto to break it loose if it's really stuck.

Thanks,
dogfood

JimB..
12-24-2017, 03:55 PM
Maybe try a couple wraps of Teflon tape.

Moleman-
12-24-2017, 04:34 PM
Can you fit a small o-ring on the threaded section? Usually you can get a bag of them at homedepot menards ect for not a whole lot more than 2-3 single ones.

Hardcast416taylor
12-24-2017, 05:54 PM
I had enough problems with the on press primer seating step that I finally just removed the entire assembly and do all my case priming with a LEE old style hand priming tool. I sold the entire priming assembly with 4 primer tubes to another site reader that needed some of the parts.Robert

MyFlatline
12-24-2017, 07:28 PM
I have a slightly newer LNL AP..I prime off press and have it disconnected. Had nothing but jams and with jams you get spilled powder.

BK7saum
12-25-2017, 02:33 AM
I have an older LNL as well. Never had mine loosen up, though.

I concur with the above suggestion on using a couple wraps of Teflon pipe thread tape. I use a couple of wraps on my threaded barrels when installing my pistol suppressor. Works awesome fir that application. The threadd barrel-suppressor gets a whole lot more stress and vibration than the primer seater ever would. Give it a try.

dogfood
12-29-2017, 06:19 PM
Thanks all ... since I had some Teflon tape on hand, I gave that a go with 2 complete wraps. It's a little tricky - small diameter and small thread length - and the clown putting it on is a not-so-nimble 53. I ran 50 rounds through the press - and the primer assembly hasn't budged. Time will well. I may need a bit more tape in the long haul, but if that doesn't work, I'll go with the O-ring idea.

I appreciate the two good ... and not expensive to try ... ideas.

Now, for those of you who have bailed on the auto primer system - yeah, I get that, too. In fact, I've been using an RCBS bench mounted unit. But that's another step, and like most everybody else, "free time" is in short supply with me. So I'm not ready to completely throw in the towel just yet.

Happy 2018 to all.

dogfood

Ranger 7
12-29-2017, 08:49 PM
The present units are solid and work great.
Also, on yours try some Lock-Tite.