PDA

View Full Version : Found a Herters super model 3 today

69daytona
12-23-2017, 06:08 PM
Went to our local swap meet/garage sale and found this Herters single stage press sitting on a table with a bunch of rusty old tools, guy wanted 50 but walked away with it for 30. Has the insert for standard dies and shell holders and primer tool.
Minor surface rust but great shape, weighs a ton, at least after carrying it from the back side of the lot.

Pressman
12-23-2017, 06:33 PM
That will give you something new to learn over the holiday's. Setting it up and getting the feel of it.
I love them, there are 20+ of them in the basement now with only a couple of exact duplicates.
Ken

RustyReel
12-23-2017, 06:45 PM
30 bucks with the "upgrades" is a dang good deal. I have one. Only use it when I really need to put the pressure on something....like resizing my .515 boolits down to .510. Tried to sell it at one time and nobody wanted it, glad I kept it!

Grmps
12-23-2017, 07:57 PM
That will give you something new to learn over the holiday's. Setting it up and getting the feel of it.
I love them, there are 20+ of them in the basement now with only a couple of exact duplicates.
Ken

Have you seen a doctor about that? :lol::lol:

Merry Christmas All

Honcho
01-02-2018, 03:40 PM
Sheesh! That was my first press I bought, way back in 1958! Full length resizing .30-06 with that bad boy was a piece of cake! It was stolen along with all my guns, when I was called up for service in the Army in Germany.
I bought one of the old Herters Turret presses, that needed a bushing insert to adapt the holes to 7/8X14 from a shooting bud, for $60., as I still had a few of the special Herters shell holders and parts. That thing is so heavy, it will anchor a Battleship! Too bad you can't get the shell holders for it anymore, I don't have some of the ones I need for my calibers, and it would be so handy for full length resizing--

VintageRifle
01-02-2018, 03:41 PM
Have one myself I picked up for about 20$. Used it a few times. Not bad. Heavy sucker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Green Frog
01-02-2018, 04:25 PM
When I saw the word “super” in the title, I thought of another Herter’s press I had long ago but regrettably let get away. It was called a “Super U” IIRC and was supposed to combine the strength of a C and an O style to be, like everything else from Herter’s, the best possible. Does this description ring any bells? How about it, Pressman?

Froggie

1browski
01-02-2018, 08:16 PM
I have one too. Got it free years ago. Ram was stuck and friend found it and it layed in his truck bed for years with a herters shotgun press as well. I have them both. I use it when I dont want to pull dies off other presses(for small projects).

Kevin Rohrer
01-02-2018, 08:28 PM
I had one of those, but sold it to someone here. It's a solid press that will outlast all of us.

ascast
01-02-2018, 08:37 PM
Have you seen a doctor about that? :lol::lol:

Merry Christmas All

maybe TWO doktors?

M_59
01-09-2018, 02:45 AM
I have one somewhere in what the grandkids call "the mess". I am waiting for them to get old enough to help me carry it into the loading room. Yes they are HEAVY!!

danomano
01-09-2018, 12:35 PM
Those are great presses. The shell holders are easy to find on evilbay. usually going for 10 to 15 bucks shipped. That's a great solid press. I have the turret version of it, see my avatar.

Iowa Fox
01-09-2018, 10:08 PM
Its a good thing postage was cheap back in the old days when we were ordering stuff out of their catalog. Every now and then we would make a trip to their Iowa Falls store. They made clay birds in the lower level of the store and I liked watching the machine. They sold boxes of second clay birds out of the lower level for $ 0.75. Still got about a half dozen full boxes left.

StratsMan
01-13-2018, 10:59 AM
The Super 3 is a monster-strong press, for a 'C' press... I bought one shortly after I started loading...

The press Green Frog is asking about is a "Model U-3 Super"...

211770 211771 211772

atr
01-13-2018, 11:07 AM
I have one ...its the first press I bought back in the early 60's....I'm still using it,,,works perfectly

Green Frog
01-13-2018, 07:24 PM
The Super 3 is a monster-strong press, for a 'C' press... I bought one shortly after I started loading...

The press Green Frog is asking about is a "Model U-3 Super"...

211770 211771 211772

YUP! That's the very one! And if you ever gave up reloading it would make a great anchor for your bass boat! I've still got the Super Model 3 that I can still load on, along with all the other stuff, but that Model U-3 Super is on my wish list for sure.

Regards,
Froggie

Pressman
01-13-2018, 07:44 PM
Mr. Frog Person Sir, that is a great press and my first Herter's press. The one pictured is the 2nd version with the shellholder set screw hole near the top. The 1st model has NO hole to access the right hand setscrew! It's a neat press to have but rather clumsy to use.
A later version has the hole located near the bottom.

jrmartin1964
01-13-2018, 07:50 PM
I still have my dad's old Herter's Super Model 3. It's lying forlorn and almost forgotten in a corner of "the room". I keep hoping to one day get it back onto a bench and into at least occasional use. That's the first press I ever loaded a cartridge on. Great old press, heavy as an anvil, and will outlast us all.

Oh, in case you don't already know, the handle WILL NOT stay in the "upright" position. Hurts if it hits you on its way down... My Dad always kept a piece of heavy, insulated wire - with a loop on one end to go around the handle and a bend on the other to hook into the die station - to keep that knee-buster up and out of the way.

beemer
01-14-2018, 12:34 AM
Pressman

Have a question, I have a Model 3 that I bought in 1971 and used for several years. Do the shell holder set screw holes ever given any problems ? I know the load is on the ram when sizing but is on the screws when backing out. Should the set screws be tight or just snugged up.

I have the press, trimmer, both powder measures and the 12 ga. dies. I still use the powder measures and trimmer. I have never found a powder measure that works any better, the pistol measure will drop 1 grain of BE every time. Wish I had bought a set of Herter's scales to complete the set but never did.

Dave

Pressman
01-14-2018, 12:08 PM
Dave, I just snug them to let the shellholder free float. Hard tightening will get the shellholder off center a tiny bit.
Other than that I have never had an issue with them backing out.
Ken

beemer
01-14-2018, 12:29 PM
Thanks Pressman,
Dave

GONRA
01-14-2018, 07:01 PM
jrmartin1964 - GONRA sugests using this Olde Warhorse to full length resize "range brass".
Quality Brand dies, proper (rotationally align to "sweet spot") shell holder, STP Oil Treatment case lube....
You have nothing to lose.....