PDA

View Full Version : Large Pistol Magnum Primers in cat sneeze rifle loads?

Kevinkd
12-22-2017, 11:19 AM
I’ve got a few bricks of Large Pistol magnum primers. I was wondering how they would work in the cat sneeze or mouse fart rifle loads? I know they are pistol but loading under a cast 308 168 gr lead slug and 5 gr of red dot I wonder if they would be fine.

I’m well aware that Pistol primers are a no no in full power rifle loads due to their weaker power and metal thickness.

Just curious if anyone has ever tried this since I’m not sure what to do with them.

Thanks in advance for your time.

William Yanda
12-22-2017, 11:22 AM
When primers were in short supply, LP magnum were the only ones available. I inquired of the powder manufacturer if reducing the starting load slightly would be acceptable in terms of safety. Their response was yes.

Kevinkd
12-22-2017, 11:44 AM
Thanks for response.

Yes I’ve thought of just using in 45 acp since it’s the only large pp I own with reduced loads but was wondering If ok in very reduced rifle loads.

Thanks again.

Larry Gibson
12-22-2017, 11:58 AM
Should work fine.

skeettx
12-22-2017, 12:02 PM
No issues there with low loads
Let us know how it works, when you load them
Mike

rking22
12-22-2017, 12:49 PM
I've used them with fast, Shotgun type, powders in rifle cases. I would not, personally, be comfortable using them with slower burning rifle powders like 4350.

Kevinkd
12-22-2017, 12:59 PM
Awesome. Thanks for all the replies.

Will load some up and see how they do.

Thanks again.

TAC14
12-22-2017, 06:21 PM
been using them for decades in SS FB rifles with lead and 4227.

gunwonk
12-23-2017, 02:30 AM
I’ve got a few bricks of Large Pistol magnum primers. I was wondering how they would work in the cat sneeze or mouse fart rifle loads?
Large pistol primers are .010" shorter than large rifle primers.

You're probably okay, but check that out if you have any any problems with ignition.

Also, it's normal for primers in cat sneeze loads to stick out a little after firing (unless you drill the flash holes bigger). Again you're probably okay with the shorter pistol primers, but have a look at what happens, and proceed accordingly.

Thanks for bringing this up. Next primer panic, I'll remember. :)

James Wisner
12-23-2017, 10:23 AM
I was thinking about the same thing the other day.

I sold my 44 Mag pistol, this past summer, and have LOTS of 44 mag ammo still loaded up to shoot in my rifle.
Like you have lots of large pistol magnum primers still on hand.

My son has started shooting the 308, and I have worked up a 10 gr of Unq load, so will use some LPM primers the next time I do a batch of the plinker loads to see how they work.

JW

brass410
12-23-2017, 06:30 PM
how timely a question, swmbo was thinking of me, and saw 3 bricks of large pistol primers (didn't think there was a difference) at hardware clearance table and picked them up 10 bucks a brick no returns. I was wondering same thing.

rking22
12-23-2017, 08:08 PM
10$a brick, heck yeah!!!! I'd kiss her and go find something to shoot them.

Motor
12-23-2017, 08:59 PM
When primers were in short supply I tried CCI-300 standard large pistol primers in my sub-sonic rifle loads. These were in 7.62x54R so this isn't a small casing. I had absolutely no problems.

I recently did a comparison between the 300s and standard large rifle primers in the same sub-sonic loads. I found no difference shooting at 50 yards.

Judging by this I'd say you should be fine using large pistol magnum primers. Large pistol primers are a little shorter than large rifle primers. This may cause light hits if your firing pin protrusion is on the minimum side but I haven't had any issues yet.

I basically use large pistol primers in all of my sub-sonic rifle loads now.

Motor

WRideout
12-27-2017, 07:56 AM
how timely a question, swmbo was thinking of me, and saw 3 bricks of large pistol primers (didn't think there was a difference) at hardware clearance table and picked them up 10 bucks a brick no returns. I was wondering same thing.

I had the same problem; I was given a quantity of primers, all types, but it included several bricks of large pistol, standard and magnum primers. I tried out a load in the 7.62x54R, with a 173 gr cast over Red Dot and a pistol primer. No issues at all in my Mosin.

Wayne