PDA

View Full Version : Earning your "man card" type of guns!

Mytmousemalibu
12-20-2017, 11:32 AM
So I can seriously check a box after this weekend in regards to shooting a gun that is so fierce, you have effectively earned man card points! A gun so nasty to shoot you can honestly question your sanity or judgment. I did take on the said opportunity this weekend and I can say I feel like I accomplished victory over a worthy adversary and I feel slightly tenderized at the same time. That adversary was my buddy's carry piece, a S&W 340PD. This is of course a J-Frame chambered in .357 Magnum which if it was a steel model 60 it wouldn't be that notable but it is a scandium airweight frame and with a titanium cylinder to make it ultra light. The minimal weight is a trade off for unprecedented violence with .357's in the cylinder. Both he and I carry our J-Frames with warm .38 special loads so this was just a range challenge! Most will fire 1 round and with a jittery movement, set it back down on the table! I fired a full cylinder of Remington factory loads, one strong hand, one weak and a cylinder full of my .357 handload, a 158gr Berry's plated RN over 18.2gr of Power Pro MP-300 which is plenty stout, top-end charge and good for incredible muzzle flash and fire rings in my 686. Shooting that little hellion is about like putting your hand on a table and smacking it with a hammer! Pure evil in that little gun! I'm curious how nasty a 329PD is in comparison.

What kind of demonic cannons have you all gone toe to toe with?

scattershot
12-20-2017, 11:52 AM
My buddy has a Ruger LCR. I’m not sure what rounds he had it loaded with, but after three of them I was ready to turn in my man card, for sure.

DerekP Houston
12-20-2017, 11:55 AM
My buddy has a Ruger LCR. I’m not sure what rounds he had it loaded with, but after three of them I was ready to turn in my man card, for sure.

lmao.....guilty here.... my first handgun purchase was a lcr 357. It's quite stout with magnum rounds my wife still won't touch it.

hhilljr
12-20-2017, 11:56 AM
My brother had a BFR in .480 at one point. He got a little overconfident at the bench one day, loosened his grip a little, and the front sight gashed his forehead through his cap! I only wish I could have been there to see it when it happened.

dverna
12-20-2017, 12:18 PM
I will never earn my card. I see no point in having a gun I cannot shoot.

My worst recoil experience was shooting a light .338 Win Mag off a bench. An older gentleman could not get it to shoot. He saw me shooting MOA groups and asked for help to get it sighted in for a moose hunt. I got the scope dialed in with 8-9 shots and he was so pleased he told me I could finish up the box of ammo. I said I had had enough (every shot hurt) but that he should fire three shots to confirm is was sighted in for him. He fired a 10" pattern. I looked at him and told him he was flinching due to the recoil and to get a .30/06 for his hunt.

When I got my .300 Win Mag, I had a muzzle brake put on it and have never fired it without the brake.

Wussy Man.

smokeywolf
12-20-2017, 12:22 PM
Thanks anyway, I'll stick with 38s, 44s and 45s.

dragon813gt
12-20-2017, 12:22 PM
You can keep the card. Shooting guns that hurt doesn't make you man. It makes you a fool IMO. I have no desire to develop a flinch, worse than I already have.

Paul105
12-20-2017, 12:30 PM
I have both 340 & 360 Ti/Sc .357s. For me, they are (with real .357 Mag ammo)the nastiest recoiling handguns I've ever shot. Actually split the web of my hand (requiring stitches) on the bone at the base of my thumb with the 340 and factory Bantam grips. Also, it hammers my trigger finger unmercifully.

I've shot the 329 Ti/Sc extensively but only when equipped with the S&W Hogue 500 X Frame grips. With the Hogue 500s, it's much more comfortable to shoot than the 340/360.

Also have a 18 oz, 3 1/4" .44 special (equipped with the Hogue 500s) that when loaded up is nastier than the 329, but more comfortable than the 340/360.

FWIW,

Paul

country gent
12-20-2017, 12:38 PM
My 340 is carried with 38 special +p ammo and for practice 2.7 grns bullseye with a 148 grn wadcutter. I like it for the light weight and ease of carry

gpidaho
12-20-2017, 12:48 PM
MMM: That nasty little 357 is my daughters carry gun. Yes, I load 38spl for her. SIL and I fired some 158gr. bullets over 10gr. of Blue Dot. Next to my 45ACP Double Tap and full tilt 454 Casull out of my 15" T/C encore it was the worst.

tazman
12-20-2017, 01:06 PM
I gave up on high recoiling firearms when I started developing arthritis. My shoulders and wrists will no longer take the abuse.
The youngsters can fight with that stuff all they want.

Walla2
12-20-2017, 01:08 PM
In the late 70's I was at the range. A fellow showed up with a 505 Gibbs on a huge Mauser action. He shot it a couple times and asked if I wanted to try it. Sure I said. I sat at the bench lined it up and fired. It rocked me so much my toes came up and struck the bottom of the bench. THANKS I said as I gave it back. Man that hurt. Man card issued and framed.

BK7saum
12-20-2017, 01:13 PM
My 340 is carried with 38 special +p ammo and for practice 2.7 grns bullseye with a 148 grn wadcutter. I like it for the light weight and ease of carry

Exactly what I carry as well. Speer Gold dot 38+p and practice/qualify with 148 wadcutters or standard 38 special loads.

EMC45
12-20-2017, 01:34 PM
Shot a 500 S&W 3 times. That was enough. I got ridiculed for not emptying the cylinder. No thanks.

smokeywolf
12-20-2017, 01:40 PM
Shot a 500 S&W 3 times. That was enough. I got ridiculed for not emptying the cylinder. No thanks.

By ridiculing you, that person was showing just how sad was the level of their own I.Q.

tranders
12-20-2017, 01:44 PM
I earned my man card many years ago shooting a buddy's Raging Bull in 454 Casull. Actually that gun did an amazing job of taming the Casull cartridge,but the noise and concussion were almost painful.
My first handgun was a S&W 629 Classic with 5 inch barrel. In those days if it wasn't belching fire and kicking the snot out of me I didn't want to shoot it.
Now days it's mild 38 Special and 45 ACP with a few 9mm thrown in for good measure.

I still enjoy reading and hearing about the big boomers,but will let someone else do the shooting.

NavyVet1959
12-20-2017, 01:51 PM
Probably the worst was a 12-gauge pistol grip shotgun fired one handed. It just seemed to *destroy* my wrist...

huntrick64
12-20-2017, 01:53 PM
I was on the range one day and an ex-friend of mine had a short barrel Ruger 454 Casull. He had not fired it that day yet, and asked if I wanted to shoot it. Heck yea! My first shot at 25 yards was spot on, the next one went into the dirt in front of the target. I think I must have been anticipating the recoil. I finished the cylinder and as I walked up to the target, I noticed the Ruger emblem in the palm of my hand. The feeling in my hand reminded me of the time as a kid that a black cat firecracker went off in my hand. I made some comment to him and he said, "yea those reloads of mine are pretty stout, they bent the frame on my Taurus 454 and I had to send it back". As I said ex-Friend.

Texas by God
12-20-2017, 02:03 PM
Take an old single shot 12 gauge with no recoil pad and shoot 5 rounds of 3" OOB from the bench. Get your Stupid Man diploma!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

35remington
12-20-2017, 02:07 PM
I thought my friend’s 480 Ruger was fairly mild to shoot out of his stainless Blackhawk.

Somewhat obnoxious is my .54 TC Scout pistol with a 530 grain bullet and a hefty charge of 777.

Hickory
12-20-2017, 02:19 PM
S&W 329 with 320 gr., boolit loaded with 20 grs. of 2400.
It's a good bear load, but no good for plinking.

dragon813gt
12-20-2017, 02:21 PM
Probably the worst was a 12-gauge pistol grip shotgun fired one handed. It just seemed to *destroy* my wrist...

I have a Rossi youth matched pair. It has a 20ga barrel w/ it. Shot it "from the hip" and I'm still wondering how it didn't break my fingers. The gun weighs practically nothing. I'm glad I shot it first before letting my then 8yo step daughter shoot it. It could have turned her off to shotguns for life.

OS OK
12-20-2017, 02:22 PM
"Man card! Man card? . . . We don't need no stinking Man cards! . . . :bigsmyl2: "

rintinglen
12-20-2017, 02:25 PM
I gave up on high recoiling firearms when I started developing arthritis. My shoulders and wrists will no longer take the abuse.
The youngsters can fight with that stuff all they want.

You said it, Taz. I don't box anymore, don't ride motorcycles anymore, when I shoot, it doesn't hurt or I don't repeat it. My own "worst's" were a light weight single shot 10 guage shotgun, a 375 H&H with a steel butt plate and a 3 inch M-29 made by some outfit in New York. Just about the same as pounding your palm with a ball peen hammer.

Hickory
12-20-2017, 02:26 PM
"Man card! Man card? . . . We don't need no stinking Man cards! . . . :bigsmyl2: "

Sometimes you just have to step up to the plate.
Wuss really stands out among real men.

Gray Fox
12-20-2017, 02:28 PM
I shot 10 rounds of the 400 grain cast boolit loads through one of the first .500 Smith 8 3/8" revolvers to get to Atlanta. Did get my attention. Then, last year I traded for a 640-3 Pro Series in .357. Ran about half a box of Federal 158 SP through it and decided it was enough for that range session. The 640 recoil is definitely harsher, plus the lack of available grip surfaces just add to the fun. I think I will switch to my version of the .38 +P Chicago load in .357 brass. Otherwise I like the little gun with its Trijicon sights and moon clips for warm season carry. GF

Thundarstick
12-20-2017, 02:30 PM
I've learned that recoil has a lot to do with the geometry and hold of said firearm and I've shot some rough stuff. Like an old fella I was talking to that was proud of having a 600 nitro express. I exclaimed how reluctant i would be to fire it, to which he replied "no problem", "I just stick the butt in a tractor tire, wrap a rope around the forearm, and pull the trigger with a string"! Every time I go into Dixie Gun Works I see that 4ga shotgun (yep, that's a1/4lb ball o lead) Turner Kirkland killed an elephant with years ago and remember the story of how he said it almost screwed him into the ground!
I've leaned to shoot my 375 H&H with no more issue than a shotgun, off the bench it's a bear!

dragon813gt
12-20-2017, 02:39 PM
've leaned to shoot my 375 H&H with no more issue than a shotgun, off the bench it's a bear!
If mine is on the bench it's in a sled. And my shoulder is nowhere near the butt of it. I can shoot offhand w/ a sling or on shooting sticks comfortably. Higher powered rifles are always more comfortable to shoot when in a standing position. Your body can absorb the recoil a lot easier. But I rarely shoot full power loads. Load it down to comfortable levels and it's a fun, but heavy, plinker.

bdicki
12-20-2017, 02:44 PM
Thompson Center TCR83 12 ga slugs and my Contender 444 Marlin.

Bigslug
12-20-2017, 02:48 PM
I believe it was a Wildey or one of the other '80's "Auto-Magnums" that wasn't a Desert Eagle. The back corners of the gripframe might as well be Bowie knives.

Mytmousemalibu
12-20-2017, 03:13 PM
I will agree that the act performed might make for a questionable I.Q. to speculate on. The gun is certainly chambered for .357 so we had to see what it was like! By no means would I claim it to be fun, it hurt! I winced and gritted my teeth and let it bark! I did it, I can say I have experienced it and no need to repeat it. I was thinking about getting one myself so I could carry .357 but im satisfied with warm .38 specials. My little 442 with Altamont classic wood grips is pretty harsh in its own. I can handle the hot rod hard kicking guns right now, someday that will end so just having a go at it while im willing to!

NavyVet1959
12-20-2017, 03:38 PM
Take an old single shot 12 gauge with no recoil pad and shoot 5 rounds of 3" OOB from the bench. Get your Stupid Man diploma!

When I was a kid, my grandfather had a 12-gauge side-by-side double-barrel with double triggers and I used to shoot it at the blackbirds in the trees, both barrels at the same time. Just a puff of feathers left... :)

HABCAN
12-20-2017, 03:39 PM
10 years old, idiot adult handed me a Model 95 lever Winchester (crescent buttplate) in .405 Win 'to try'. 'Matured' right then, after they picked me up!

azrednek
12-20-2017, 03:55 PM
Mine was a Thompson Contender shooting factory 35 Remington.

bgw45
12-20-2017, 04:12 PM
I quit trying to impress the other range rats 30 yrs ago. Since I don't hunt it just doesn't make sense. I have friends that are 70, don't hunt and don't carry. They just seem to enjoy the pain.

pineknot
12-20-2017, 04:55 PM
Worst kicking thing I was unfortunately conned into shooting was a double barrel howdah pistol chambered in .577 Snider. The idea is while hunting tiger from atop your elephant sitting in that little box they call a howdah, if you wound the tiger he's going to try and climb your elephant an pay you a visit. You then drag out your faithful howdah pistol and pop him with a 577. round. The guy that owned the pistol had a 20 round box with 4 rounds used. He shot it once and then found 3 more fools that were crazy enough to pull the trigger. I think I was fool #3. A lot like having your own personal earthquake.

Rainier
12-20-2017, 05:03 PM
I'm curious how nasty a 329PD is in comparison.

I love the 329PD as a carry gun but really didn't care to shoot it much. I couldn't find a load for it that didn't hurt when you shot it, Until... a member here recommended I contact S&W and get a set of the X-Frame grips used on the 500 Smith. Bingo! now I can load a 429421 with a bit of BE, W231 or TrailBoss and shoot it comfortably. Needless to say full snot woods carry loads, the same 429421 with too much 4227, still hurt the hand but you can carry the thing all day and forget your wearing it on your side. So the answer is, it can be "nasty" but it doesn't need to be unless you just like pain.

Mytmousemalibu
12-20-2017, 06:03 PM
I like the Scandium frame guns, they are so light for what they are. They are kinda like the stripped down, lightweight hot rods of S&W's revolver family. I've been seriously considering adding a 329PD to the family.

When i was just a lad with my .22 rifle and infatuated with firearms I wanted to a shotgun pretty bad. One Christmas morning a couple decades ago I woke up to an H&R 12ga "Topper" single shot. Chambered for 3" shells and a full choke barrel and a hard plastic butt plate I promptly threw on clothes and went outside with a box of skeet loads and let the 1st one rip! That gun all but laied me on my butt! Even today, that gun has some thump to it. Equally nasty despite the size is a little H&R 28ga. single shot. With hi-brass skeet loads and a nice steel Cresent butt plate, that little gun will bark your shoulder too! My shortened M91/30 Mosin in a composite stock will rock your socks decently as well.

jimb16
12-20-2017, 06:04 PM
Mine was a TC contender with hot 45-70 loads. NOT MINE! 3 rounds was enough. Two hours later, I could feel my hand again and it hurt! And I'm extremely recoil tolerant. I shoot hot .44 mag loads and don't care. Even the .50 AE doesn't make me flinch, But those .45-70s were just too much even for me!

Kraschenbirn
12-20-2017, 06:09 PM
I shot some nasty combinations back in my IHMSA days but a couple years ago at our club range one of the members was sighting in a brand-new S&W 69...the 5-shot L-frame...in preparation for handgun deer season. Lou has a pretty hefty build and I couldn't help noticing that whatever he was shooting was rocking him back pretty good so I had to ask. "300 grain Buffalo Bores" he said "Wanna try it?" My first shot clipped the 12" 50-yard swinger a little low and right; my second, I'm sure, hit the berm behind it but I'm not sure where; and my third went into the dirt right below the target frame. At that point, I opened the cylinder, dumped the last two rounds along with empties and handed the gun back. Right hand felt like I'd snagged a hard-hit ground ball on the first hop...without a glove!

Bill

nseries
12-20-2017, 06:19 PM
Years ago... I'll never forget the day I saw my father shoot a 10" open-sighted 357 Herrett with a hot loaded 200gr bullet. I'm positive the load was hotter than published data. He was wearing a deerskin glove with the trigger finger cut out while shooting over his chronograph. He touched off that round and the pistol flew out of his hand and landed on the ground behind him. I laughed my butt off.

First time I touched off a 375JDJ in a Contender, it almost flew out of my hand while shooting it off sandbags one-handed with a not so firm grip. I didn't think it was going to recoil that much. Way more than factory loaded 45-70...

ShooterAZ
12-20-2017, 06:50 PM
Mine was a TC contender with hot 45-70 loads. NOT MINE! 3 rounds was enough. Two hours later, I could feel my hand again and it hurt! And I'm extremely recoil tolerant. I shoot hot .44 mag loads and don't care. Even the .50 AE doesn't make me flinch, But those .45-70s were just too much even for me!

This was my experience as well. It felt as if I had hit an oak tree with a cracked baseball bat. That was one barrel that went away...and I won't miss it!

rondog
12-20-2017, 07:54 PM
My .44 mag Virginian Dragoon is enough of a punisher to suit me. That thing will handle loads that leave an imprint of the firing pin bushing in the spent primers.

Fired three rounds from an AR-50 once, but the howitzer-sized muzzle brake actually made it pleasant to fire. Hit the 18" plate at 600 yards all 3 times. That was a sweet rifle.

lefty o
12-20-2017, 08:12 PM
ive shot hand cannons, no big deal. anyone who thinks shooting a big pistol makes you a man or earns you the card, probably dont have the card.

nicholst55
12-20-2017, 08:18 PM
I have owned guns that hurt to shoot. Owned, past tense. As in, sold them. Let some other fool hurt himself. The worst was a really nice Mosin Nagant M44 Carbine shooting 'Heavy Ball' ammo. It gave me 'gun headache,' as the Brits call it. It rather reminded me of being smacked in the face by a very large fellow every time I jerked the trigger. I didn't load for the 7.62X54R at the time, or I might have downloaded it. That skinny, too short stock was the primary culprit, I do believe.

Soundguy
12-20-2017, 08:29 PM
I have a magnum research BFR 30-30 revolver. its a bit stout to fire. ;)

Driver33
12-20-2017, 08:44 PM
I bought a single barrel nef 12ga chambered for 3.5 inch shells with synthetic stock an for arm at Walmart for turkey season about 15 or so years back. I shot 1 3.5 inch in an my brother shot 1. I sold it 2 weeks later

P Flados
12-20-2017, 09:20 PM
I am more tolerant than my shooting buddies. I recall being pretty much tolerant from way back.

I quit loading / shooting "hand smackers" as a source of entertainment long ago.

Before I wised up, I acquired a 8.5" contender barrel in 45 colt (back in the early 80s).

There was no way I was not going to try out max Contender / Ruger only WW 296 load data. Of course this had to be one of those cases where the gun just shot better the hotter the loads. Back then, I never let a little pain stand in the way of loading what a gun wanted.

That original wood handle and light gun was not exactly an optimum platform for these loads.

I would normally go through a box of 100 bullets in no time. That first box of 250 gr hollow points lasted for a few years. Of the few buddies I talked into trying these out, I do not remember anyone setting 2 of them off.

osteodoc08
12-20-2017, 09:43 PM
So I can seriously check a box after this weekend in regards to shooting a gun that is so fierce, you have effectively earned man card points! A gun so nasty to shoot you can honestly question your sanity or judgment. I did take on the said opportunity this weekend and I can say I feel like I accomplished victory over a worthy adversary and I feel slightly tenderized at the same time. That adversary was my buddy's carry piece, a S&W 340PD. This is of course a J-Frame chambered in .357 Magnum which if it was a steel model 60 it wouldn't be that notable but it is a scandium airweight frame and with a titanium cylinder to make it ultra light. The minimal weight is a trade off for unprecedented violence with .357's in the cylinder. Both he and I carry our J-Frames with warm .38 special loads so this was just a range challenge! Most will fire 1 round and with a jittery movement, set it back down on the table! I fired a full cylinder of Remington factory loads, one strong hand, one weak and a cylinder full of my .357 handload, a 158gr Berry's plated RN over 18.2gr of Power Pro MP-300 which is plenty stout, top-end charge and good for incredible muzzle flash and fire rings in my 686. Shooting that little hellion is about like putting your hand on a table and smacking it with a hammer! Pure evil in that little gun! I'm curious how nasty a 329PD is in comparison.

What kind of demonic cannons have you all gone toe to toe with?

I've got a 357PD, the 41 Mag Scandium/Titanium counterpart to the one you mentioned. I actually like it so much, I'll likely pick up the 329PD soon. The recoil is all subjective as it fits just right and while I know it's light with big boy power, it's not abusive until you are trying to wring every last bit of performance out of it.

FergusonTO35
12-20-2017, 09:59 PM
No man cards in my future, I'm not taking any chances on my mild essential tremor and carpal tunnel getting any worse. My "big" side-iron, er, side-plastic, is a Glock 22 that squirts Lee 401-175-TC at 900 fps. If I didn't reload I would not own this gun. Rifle wise, the strongest thing I can shoot effectively are rifles in the range of .308, .30'06, and trapdoor level .45-70. Now, I actually like big bores and and could totally see the .44 Special and .45 Colt in full size wheelguns joining my collection someday. I think a .375 H&H with reasonable cast loads would be fun too.

JWT
12-20-2017, 10:30 PM
Bench shooting a full power 375H-H in a Ruger #1 was pretty harsh.

I have only shot my 416 Rigby standing and will only shoot the 458 Win-Mag standing.

My 30-378 doesn't have a lot of recoil but that muzzle brake is pretty unpleasant.

OldBearHair
12-20-2017, 10:39 PM
Circa 1954...Hunting doves with a Montgomery Ward single shot 16 guage shotgun. You could see the tooling marks in the choke area. Never shot it more than sixteen times before cleaning the lead out with Hoppes #9 solvent but once and that was when a dove came in fast from the left and at the shot I was sort of crouched down and the recoil laid me on my back. let it set overnight with Hoppes in the barrel and ran a jag in and pushed out a circle of lead with stringy fingers on both ends. I don't remember how I got rid of the gun. Another time shooting Model 70 pre 64 30-06 rifle prone loaded with 190 grain boattail near max load.

kens
12-20-2017, 10:56 PM
I got my man-card with a .22LR, a .38SPL, and a 1911. let me explain......
An old girlfriend was afraid of guns, because, some prior manly type guy showed her to shoot with one the above mentioned guns, I believe a .44mag. She must've peed her pants err sumptin'.

I prodded her along, and got her out on a private range with a .22 revolver, showed her basic safety, single shot revolver, then a full cylinder, then she began dinging steel. ding, ding, ding, ding,,,,,,
The next session was with a 6" .38 revolver. same story, single shot, then full cylinder, then Ding, Ding, Ding, Ding,,,,,,,,
The next session was with a 1911. I explained to her felt recoil, how to hold it, and this was in fact a Colt .45. Showed her to load a auto handgun single shot, DING, DING, DING.
Then got her to load a full mag of hardball. DING, DING, DING, for a whole box of ammo.
She enjoyed herself so much she turned around, pulled my drawers down, and hers, and stepped into my britches, right there on the shooting bench, I had 1 hand on a .38 the other hand on a .45 and she rode the pony.
I'm proud to say I got my man-card with a .22.

oldhenry
12-20-2017, 11:12 PM
I had a #3 in 45-70 (you know..........smooth slick metal butt plate & straight grip stock).

I was younger then & thought I had to load it hot because.................because it was a Ruger & was strong enough.

Off hand (if you held it tight) it was bearable with 300 gr. Hornadys & 50.0 grs. of 3031, but from the bench it was a different story.

The theory is that the rifling imparts a twist to the bullet..............from the bench the bullet imparted a twist to the #3.

We tried 1 500 gr. (exact load I don't remember) and 1 was enough.

I restocked it in a #1 stock with a 1" recoil pad & the 300 gr. Hornadys were almost civilized.

My youngest son has the gun now.

Henry

Bill*B
12-20-2017, 11:16 PM
I confess to having owned a Ruger Alaskan in .480 - the only pistol that literally stripped the skin from my hand when I fired it - but, when the rubber hits the road, control always trumps power. I own a S&W Model 10 in .38 Special now, and consider myself well armed.

Texas by God
12-20-2017, 11:53 PM
I imagine "barely used" Mossberg Shockwaves will be appearing at gun stores soon- oh wait I've seen one already.

Biggin
12-21-2017, 12:05 AM
Bfr 45/70 with hot handloads. Buddy said 1 cylinder was plenty. I did 2 . Laughed the whole time.

Tom W.
12-21-2017, 12:58 AM
I enjoyed my SRH .480 Ruger with 400 gr. cast and stout loads. I had a 2x Leupold and it was heavy. My Encore pistol started as a 30-06. It was stout also, but I kept it for a few years. The .454 casull barrel I next mounted on it was my limit. I kept it about a year or two and sold the whole kit and caboodle. I wish I had kept my scope. I have no need to fire anything so vicious as that .454..

I was dumb enough to shoot a 3.5 inch turkey load from a very light single shot H&R. I did that just once.

A friend had a Glock 27, I believe. A little bitty .40 S&W. I put maybe five rounds in the general vicinity of my target and put the pistol down on the table with no intention of touching it ever again.

Now I mostly shoot 9mm, .357/.38 special, .22 lr or .44 mag.

smokeywolf
12-21-2017, 06:12 AM
I think I actually earned my "man card" when my father had me shooting a barely legal 12 gauge side by side when I was 9 years old and put a Marble Game-Getter (no shoulder stock) with a 3" 410 shell in my hand when I was 10.

6bg6ga
12-21-2017, 07:58 AM
I earned that card back when I was about 8 or 9 when my father's friend owned a 458 elephant rifle. I was teased into shooting it. I did and the result was that most of my right side was totally black and blue and it felt as if my shoulder had been broken. To this day I do not shoot a rifle larger than a 308. Watched a very large man with arms like tree trunks shoot a 500 S&W. The recoil dispite his size had the S&W pointing straight up in the air. I watched in amazement as he shot two cylinders full in that massive gun. I watched him put it down and mention that was enough.

There is such a thing as common sense and stupidity.

Beau Cassidy
12-21-2017, 10:02 AM
Full bore .378 Weatherby magnum loads. Holy friggin' ****! Without the muzzle brake it would squeeze a 25 lb bag of shot out from between me and the gun. I have gotten away from those violent recoiling guns over a concern about a detached retina. I don't even shoot my .300 Weatherby any more.

birch
12-21-2017, 01:45 PM
BFR in 450 Marlin--a whole lotta nasty.

gray wolf
12-21-2017, 01:49 PM
I think I was 73 at the time, I had a great friend on the Border patrol.
Huge guy, everyone called him MONGO from blazing saddles.
If he were taller they could have called him Sasquatch.
Anyway, he had guns, big, med. small, and everything in between.
I shot everything he could carry to the shooting bench, never said no.
and me with a bad shoulder, anyway one day he carts out a 300 Win. Mag.
Rifle looked normal, as for the shells ? Hmm ? those are rather long and fat.
He shot a few and then my number came up, Like the man I try to be I shot 3 rounds, my upper plate rattled in my mouth. But hey I did it and was pretty much OK with it.
He came over to me and while he was blocking out the Sun, he smiled and said
" not so bad Eh, I new you could do it " But we are not done yet.
OK--bring it I'm ready, out of his truck comes a gun case, and out of the gun case comes a
nasty looking rifle with a Zebra painted stock. Hmm, we going Lion hunting Err what.
Gun goes on the bench and the shells get laid next to it.
Thought them rather big, especially when I saw the shadow they cast on the bench.
That along with the grunting sound he made as he shot it made me say,
" my friend, me and my 166 pound old body are going to pass on that one "
He agreed and said " good move, a 416 Rigby Elephant gun can be a little much "
So my man card stopped at the 300 Win Mag.
I won't tell anyone if you folks don't.

tazman
12-21-2017, 03:08 PM
Back when I was in my 20s, I owned and shot a number of high powered/recoiling rifles.
300 Win mag, 300 Weatherby, 375 H&H, and 458 Win mag.
I shot a full box of shells through the 458 one morning with only a t-shirt on(it was a nice warn day). The first shot hurt a little. The second not as bad. The third didn't really hurt at all. I went ahead and finished the box.
What I didn't realize until later was my shoulder had gone numb after the second shot. When suppertime rolled around my shoulder had locked up and I couldn't reach my mouth with my right hand.
The next day the entire shoulder was black and blue. Fortunately I had a long weekend to recover somewhat before going back to work.
I kept the rifle around for a while but eventually sold it since I wasn't able to shoot it without a major flinch.
My largest rifle now is a 30-06.

EMC45
12-21-2017, 03:10 PM
I also shot some 45-70 loads of Varget that blurred my vision and made my head ache and my teeth hurt. Next time I went to the range a young guy from my Squadron said he liked the way they kicked. I let him shoot them all up to get my brass back.......

nh7792
12-21-2017, 03:19 PM
You can keep the card. Shooting guns that hurt doesn't make you man. It makes you a fool IMO. I have no desire to develop a flinch, worse than I already have.

I agree with you 100%
Neighbor had one of the S&W 500 Mag revolvers, shot 5 rounds and put it back in the box. Lost $100 + the cost of ammo because he didn't like the kick and was scared to shoot it again.

mozeppa
12-21-2017, 05:11 PM
i shot hundreds of s&w 500 magnum.

fun!

mozeppa
12-21-2017, 05:12 PM
wish they made a 600 magnum!

lefty o
12-21-2017, 05:21 PM
i shot hundreds of s&w 500 magnum.

fun!

agree'd, i didnt think the 500 was bad to shoot from the S&W gun with its brake. without a brake im sure it would be less than pleasant though.

M-Tecs
12-21-2017, 05:41 PM
I imagine "barely used" Mossberg Shockwaves will be appearing at gun stores soon- oh wait I've seen one already.

Shot a couple of geese with my Rem Tac 14. Yes 3" steel are snappy in it.

16 yard trap with traploads are a ton of fun. Mine has 400 rounds plus through it.

EMC45
12-21-2017, 06:07 PM
The load I shot out of the S&W 500 was the 440gr. bullet and 37gr. H110. No thanks.

coverbw
12-21-2017, 07:36 PM
I own a 329pd and a 475 linebaugh- I consider them tame compared to the contender pistol I bought from a pawn shop with a 12" 44 barrel punched out to 444. I picked up a box of leverevolution and sighted it in off the bench. I was getting shocking sensations in my hand for a week. It went bye bye.

Soundguy
12-21-2017, 07:51 PM
Bench shooting a full power 375H-H in a Ruger #1 was pretty harsh.

I have only shot my 416 Rigby standing and will only shoot the 458 Win-Mag standing.

My 30-378 doesn't have a lot of recoil but that muzzle brake is pretty unpleasant.

You play with the same stuff I do.

375h&h in a #1 tropical
416 Rigby in a cz550
458 Lott in a Ruger Magnum
And just recently added:
470 Nitro Express in a Sabatti O/U Double
9.3x74R in a Sabatti SxS Double.

I'm firing the last 2 for the first time in a few days -after Christmas. Dont want to be in a shoulder sling for Christmas. ;)

18Bravo
12-21-2017, 09:00 PM
Made the mistake of agreeing to try out a fellow club members 460 Weatherby Magnum. Only got off one round before handing it back to him worse for the experience. That was a few years ago…my shoulder still aches.

TAC14
12-21-2017, 09:03 PM
A 329 with 300 gr hardcasts and a max load of H110 is serious.

Laser grips help and if you're wrassling with Mr Griz you won't notice the recoil !

Elmo
12-22-2017, 12:07 AM
Would a Remington rolling block pistol chambered in 45-70 loader with full charge 500 grain bullets qualify? At our range a guy showed up with the afore mentioned gun and loads. Wanted to know if anyone wanted to shoot it. He had a 100 round box with one spent round. Of course I had to try it. I lasted for 7 shots. The rest shot 1,2, or 3 times. I have a rep as being able to handle heavy recoiling handguns he left with 84 loaded rounds.

oger
12-22-2017, 01:39 AM
JDJones Contender with no brake in my youth. Not a real smart thing to do it actually caused damage to my forearm.

NavyVet1959
12-22-2017, 02:23 AM
JDJones Contender with no brake in my youth. Not a real smart thing to do it actually caused damage to my forearm.

12-gauge flare gun with regular 12-gauge shell nearly 40 years ago... Definitely wasn't a smart thing to do... Didn't have much recoil, but it did hurt... :(

Thin Man
12-22-2017, 05:44 AM
Of the firearms I own the nastiest recoiling pistol in the herd is a Kel-Tec P-40. Light weight with a "snap" effect at the shot. I get to brag about the punishment any day I fire a complete magazine of ammo from this little demon.

Of a friend's firearms - a 500 S&W. He handed me the hand cannon and 3 rounds. One round was enough for the recoil experience, the rest were almost like an "I dare you" moment. In spite of the awesome recoil that revolver stacked all 3 shots into one of the tightest groups I have ever fired from a powerhouse handgun.

Nazgul
12-22-2017, 07:35 AM
Had several 375 H&H's, one of my favorites is a 458 WM. Shoot the 458 a lot, mostly with reduced loads. Some loaded to factory level. Have to be prepared, it can hurt.

375 JDJ, 45-70, and 450 Marlin Encore barrels. Again, have to be prepared. Loaded to moderate levels they are not bad.

Don

Texas by God
12-22-2017, 08:37 AM
A friend bought a T/C 30-30 Contender with the light octagon barrel. We shot 170 gr factory loads to try it out. It wasn't fun. My nephew's .50AE Desert Eagle ejects brass into my forehead. Hard.
I can shoot a .44 mag effectively so that's my limit.

Forrest r
12-22-2017, 08:49 AM
Had a 16oz charter arms undercover give me a run for my money last year. Did a 500-round p+ load/bullet test using 10 different bullets and 5 different powders. Took 4-hours to run the 500 p+ 38spl's thru that light revolver. The 1st 400 rounds were good, the last 100 shots not so much.

bobthenailer
12-22-2017, 10:30 AM
I had a S&W 360PD in 357 mag @11 oz it hirt my hands more than any handgun I had shot previously ! and I have a 3" 629, and a 6"FA 454 Casull that don't hirt me using full loads

flint45
12-22-2017, 10:50 AM
I had a sharps in .50-140 that was quite a beast to shoot with 650 grain boolit and 140 grains of 2f black. off the bench or even standing it was something. After about 40 rounds my neck wood hurt and eyes would blur a bit.Re barreled to .40-65 much better put .50 barrel on a roller and shortin the chamber to .50-70. Worst was firing my Rossi couch gun with two mag buckshot loads at the same time tried that just once.

Mytmousemalibu
12-22-2017, 11:45 AM
I had a S&W 360PD in 357 mag @11 oz it hirt my hands more than any handgun I had shot previously ! and I have a 3" 629, and a 6"FA 454 Casull that don't hirt me using full loads

That 360PD is essentially the same gun as the example I shot just with an exposed hammer. Without a shadow of a doubt a hard buckin bronco! Its not like recoil in the sense of a tremendous shove backwards as in heavier recoil monsters but the lack of any real mass lets that little gun flog the snot out of your hand/wrist! When the primer touches off, instantly that gun torques over on your hand at the speed of light! Probably the closest thing to feeling the same is like a firecracker going off in your hand! It stings!

Some of you guys have gone toe to toe with some real jackhammers!

oldhenry
12-22-2017, 01:06 PM
Back in the '80s I subscribed to "The Gun List" & there would be an occasional add for a #77 Ruger in .458 WM & usually would say a partial box of cartridges included.........only 1 missing.

An acquaintance shot one once & the floor plate unlocked & all cartridges in the magazine fell out on the ground. Too much for me.

Henry

Lloyd Smale
12-23-2017, 08:08 AM
ive owned and do own 454s 475s and 500s. Gun that hurt me the most to shoot was that 18oz 396 smith 44 special with keith level loads. That thing would draw blood in one cylinder full of ammo probably a tie would be a bond derringer in 44 mag loaded with 300s.

Jeffrey
12-23-2017, 10:17 AM
My worst recoil experience was with a 12 gauge Remington 1100. Happened just before duck season. Myself and 2 friends (brothers - Keith and Wade) were in canoes checking out our duck lease. I was in the front of our canoe, Wade was in the back, Keith by himself in his own. Wade had a new dog he wanted to work so he wanted me to shoot a black bird. I was the only one with a gun. Well, this bird is flying toward us, approaching from my left. I couldn't get the shotgun up fast enough to shoot it as it approached. The bird is now flying away from us, behind me and to my right. Holding that 12 gauge by the wrist, one handed, I sight down the barrel and squeeze off the shot. On recoil, that 12 gauge comes flying through my hand, the hard plastic butt plate striking me in the forehead, knocking me back in the canoe. My only thought is to maintain my grip on the forend, and keep the muzzle pointed toward the sky. GRAB THE GUN! GRAB THE GUN! Keith shouts at Wade. Wade takes the shotgun from me. Sitting back up in my seat, Keith and Wade point at my head and bust out laughing. I have the ridges from that hard plastic butt plate impressed into my forehead. Good thing for me I have a hard head.

missionary5155
12-23-2017, 11:13 AM
Good morning
Try a Howda caliber .62 with a RB and 120 grains BP. Guaranteed to remove tigers off the back side of your covered seat.
Mike in Peru

tim338
12-23-2017, 11:29 AM
My Dad has a Ruger #1 he had rebored to 470 Nitro. Very painful to shoot when it's loaded to it's full potential.

Lloyd Smale
12-23-2017, 06:14 PM
Forgot one. Kelly Brost who at the time owned cast performance bullets had a tc encore at the linebaugh seminar that year chambered in 458 lott. Full power load made you wonder if you were shooting a gun, getting your hand hit buy a train or unleashing a flame thrower.

44MAG#1
12-24-2017, 09:58 AM
I guess I'll never earn my man card. Wish I could. That way I could run with the "BIG DOGS" but I'll just lay on the porch and dream.

jrmartin1964
12-24-2017, 11:12 AM
This one did it for me...

T/C Contender, Super 14 .375 Winchester
210120 210121

The LGS had this Contender on consignment in 2000. Along with the Contender were five boxes of Winchester 250-grain Power-Point cartridges. Four of the boxes still their full 20 rounds of factory-loaded cartridges, while the fifth box only still held 18 loaded cartridges and two fired cases. The shop owner told me he had sold that Contender, and the five boxes of ammo, about two years earlier to a local guy who fired it twice and brought the whole outfit back to trade for a .357 Magnum revolver.

I was actually looking for a Contender in .45/70, so I picked up this .375 - and the five boxes of ammo (plus six more boxes of 200-grain Power Point ammo), had the shop owner order me a .45/70 barrel, and walked out the door. I put the little red-dot sight on the .375 about a week later, and went out to zero my new "toy". With the first shot, I knew immediately and precisely why the previous owner had fired only two shots and traded the thing off. Brutal really doesn't even come close to describing the recoil!! By comparison, the .45/70 barrel - also a Super 14, but with a muzzle brake - was mild and pleasant, even with 500-grainers.

Oddly, as unpleasant and painful as the .375 is to shoot, it is the .375 barrel that occupied the Contender frame more often than the .45/70. It's the one I let others shoot, the ones who claim they can handle heavy recoil. Strangely, no one has ever asked to fire the .375 a second time!

For fairness, here's the same Contender, wearing the .45/70 barrel...
210122 210123

Jim

44MAG#1
12-24-2017, 11:15 AM
At what velocity we're you running those 500 grain bullets?

LUCKYDAWG13
12-24-2017, 11:27 AM
I was 12 the first time that i shot a 44 magnum Me and my Dad were over at a friends farm shooting when my buddy's Dad
brought out his SBH 7 1/2 barrel 44 magnum I remember him putting on gloves to shoot it we were shooting at a coffee can
he put a lot of lead all around it Handed it to my Dad one shot in the center of the can Dad looked at me asked me if i wanted
to try heck ya I put a hole right next to my Dads I smiled looked at my Dad and handed the gun back to my friends Dad
my hand hurt after that

OS OK
12-24-2017, 11:43 AM
I was 12 the first time that i shot a 44 magnum Me and my Dad were over at a friends farm shooting when my buddy's Dad
brought out his SBH 7 1/2 barrel 44 magnum I remember him putting on gloves to shoot it we were shooting at a coffee can
he put a lot of lead all around it Handed it to my Dad one shot in the center of the can Dad looked at me asked me if i wanted
to try heck ya I put a hole right next to my Dads I smiled looked at my Dad and handed the gun back to my friends Dad
my hand hurt after that

You guys sure put the 'stink' on that fella! Shooting heavy loads freehanded is a sure way to develop an inherent flinch that will ruin your grouping ability...I suppose you noticed that when you saw him pounding all around the can.

More than one friend of mine who have hand cannons have let them turn into 'safe queens' that only come out to amuse new shooters.
Big bores require lot's of talent and strong wills to hit anything but the side of a big red barn.

'Man Cards', 'Man Caves'...wrist breaking big bores...NAAAH, move over there 44MAG#1, got room on the porch for another old dawg?

fatelk
12-24-2017, 01:35 PM
Most old guys don't need to try to prove anything for any sort of man card, as they earned it decades ago.

Back when I was young it was fun to shoot heavy kicking guns, feel the power and take the pain. Now not so much. I still like my S&W 29s, but don't shoot them a whole lot now. I'm not "old" yet myself, but I'm happy just shooting what I enjoy, and I just don't enjoy pain anymore.

Tom W.
12-24-2017, 05:06 PM
Oh come on now......we were all young and dumb once on our lives.....

Michael J. Spangler
12-24-2017, 05:26 PM
No clue as far as a comparison because I have not shot hotter than a +p 38 in one of those light weight 357s
I have however shot 250 round session of top end 250 grain bullet with 2400 powder from my 6 1/2” 629.
The same load from a 329 was one and done. Absolutely punishing. Way more recoil than the mid range 500 S&W I shot a year later

Drm50
12-24-2017, 05:52 PM
Navy WW2 flare gun with 12guage chamber bushing & 12g Brenneke 2 3/4mag rifled slug. This
combo puts the P in pain, as well as down your leg.

wildcatter
12-24-2017, 06:04 PM
Probably no attention getter better than the 4 1/2" fixed sight FA in 454 I had with 36.5 grains of H110 and the 240 grain XTP Mag, very few would shoot more than one in it. That load was more brutal with it's violent recoil and the hand sting was severe over the heavier bullet full house loads. Long gone for 6" sights MUCH easier to handle.

The 45 Colt 270 grn. +P loads in this little bugger is a handful, but surprisingly accurate at 15 yards,,
and does a number on warm cans of soda,,,, :bigsmyl2:
210170 to the little SA.

But this one is the most intimidating with it's bark and the concussion you feel from the Muzzle Blast when you set that baby off with 52.5 grains of H110,,, then at night it's blinding so most when they see the fire, feel the concussion on their body, and hear the blast say forget it,, I ain't shoot'n it. But the Ross break does give it considerable manners! Now has 3 set's of rings to keep the scope from moving.

Minerat
12-24-2017, 06:35 PM
Mine was an Ithaca Model 66 12 ga.. It is a single shot 30" full choked beast. I shot some 3 in slug rounds thru it when I was 16 as a lark. It kicks worst then my 300 Wby. The second was a FA 454 Casull with a 5" barrel. It sure got your attention with full house loads. It took a week for my thumb to feel normal again.

pmer
12-24-2017, 07:45 PM
You might have a man card shooting small 357s but can you clear your nose without getting snot on your Carharts while NOT breaking your stride? LOL

I didn't mean anything off by this.

To me the man card comes when you have to do something no one else wants to do...including your self.

Mytmousemalibu
12-24-2017, 09:08 PM
I have taken punishment enough from that little Smith, no more of that nonsense!

Now I'd be open to try anything once and I can tolerate a few rounds of abuse here and there. I don't go looking for abuse on the other hand. I have experienced one of the nastiest of nasty guns. The man card line is just an attempt at some humor! Sometimes you have to make the best of it!

Minerat
12-25-2017, 12:33 AM
The term "man card" is a pleasant way of saying OOOOUUUUCCCHHHH!!!!!:bigsmyl2:

May you all have a very Merry Christmas!!

izzyjoe
12-25-2017, 09:11 AM
I've never felt that I had to prove my manlines! Years ago when I first took up turkey hunting I picked up a box Remington 12ga. 2oz. Turkey loads, cause I thought that's what I needed to kill hunt with. And at that time I was using a NEF 12ga single shot, and boy you talk about rattle you're teeth! I've since learned that it doesn't take an artillery round to kill a turkey, and it doesn't have to be painful.

trapper9260
12-25-2017, 12:33 PM
For me I do not have to prove anything of what i shoot. I have a 10ga side by side that I shoot once in awhile and that is with the 3 1/2" shells and I know someone one that was shooting off there mouth about shooting shot guns and I told him you come to the house I will let you shoot my 10ga. So him and his farther show up and I let him shoot it and told him about hold the gun tight on your shoulder and he did the first shot and then in no time shot the 2nd and that what did him in .His farther did the same thing and ask if they like to shoot it again and said no way.I have shot my muzzle loader with the round it need to this year before deer season and it had no recoil pad on it and after 4 rounds.I brought down to my gun smith and had him put recoil pads on it.That took care of the kick it gives. When I was about 10 , my dad ask if I like to shoot his 30-30 Marlin and said yes and I never had shot a rifle like that and end up on my butt. Today I got one like that and no problems on it. Who said about you to take the recoil . If I feel like it I have them shoot the 10ga and not tell them anything and see what they do.My brother did not want to listen to how to shoot it and found out the hard way.

44MAG#1
12-25-2017, 12:38 PM
Wasn't that question by the OP actually asked in a fun way? Many seem upset by it.

15meter
12-25-2017, 07:42 PM
My Dad has a Ruger #1 he had rebored to 470 Nitro. Very painful to shoot when it's loaded to it's full potential.

Try Noe's cast boolit in 475, makes a double that a buddy has fun to shoot. Just cast up a batch of boolits to load up the 40 pieces of brass that sit on my bench. He supplies the molds and the stuffing to go into the cartridges and the rifle. I supply the sweat equity and have fun loading cool stuff and get to shoot exceptionally cool rifles.

alamogunr
12-25-2017, 11:17 PM
I've got a FA .454 w/.45Colt & .45ACP cylinders. Have never shot it with the .454 cylinder. Also have a .475 Linebaugh built by Linebaugh that I've only shot midrange loads in. A 5 shot .45 Colt that has never seen a maximum load. I like owning them but after a couple of not quite maximum loads, I decided to stay at the lower level. I sometimes wish that I had been able to afford these guns when I was under 40. Now at 75 I have enough pains that I don't want to intentionally create more.

NavyVet1959
12-25-2017, 11:41 PM
I've got a FA .454 w/.45Colt & .45ACP cylinders. Have never shot it with the .454 cylinder. Also have a .475 Linebaugh built by Linebaugh that I've only shot midrange loads in. A 5 shot .45 Colt that has never seen a maximum load. I like owning them but after a couple of not quite maximum loads, I decided to stay at the lower level. I sometimes wish that I had been able to afford these guns when I was under 40. Now at 75 I have enough pains that I don't want to intentionally create more.

Sometimes, it's the pain that reminds you that you are still alive... Quite frankly though, I really don't think I need this level of reminding... :(

fixit
12-26-2017, 12:50 AM
my man card with guns came when i was 15. i didn't really know anything about handloading, yet, but a friend had gotten into it by using pull down components from a variety off old shotshells. my lack of knowledge kept any alarms from going off, so i handed him an empty twenty guage 3" shell i had picked up, and he proceeded to 'load' it for me. then i shot this round from an old harrington + richardson heavy breach single shot of 1930's or 1940's vintage. when i pulled the trigger, 3 inches of the breech disintegrated, the sides of the action from the breech block to the hinge pin flared outward, and the trigger guard flew forward into the palm of my hand with enough force to leave an impression of the leading tang of the guard in the rawhide glove i was wearing! my hand felt like it was broken, and in the process of walking home, about a half mile, i went into mild shock, and had to be coaxed by the friend (not the 'handloader') to continue back home. in trying to piece together why the shotgun blew, besides the likely overcharge, we figure the shotgun was chambered in 2.75 shells, and the forcing cone caused enough of a restriction to cause the breech to 'grenade'. that event caused me to get serious about reloading, to be able to call b.s. when someone starts off in a direction that could get them or someone else hurt!

Hannibal
12-26-2017, 01:16 AM
I've an 8 3/8" S&W SS 629 44 Mag with a 4x leupold scope.

I don't know why, but I just LOVE shooting the **** thing.

Blowing moles out of the run at point blank range just makes me giggle like a 6 year old girl.

Too much information, I know. But there it is.

Did I mention I *HATE* moles?

Hannibal
12-26-2017, 01:23 AM
A fellow I knew at work intentionally over-loaded a Taurus Raging Bull in .454 Casull to the point that it sprung the frame.

I'll not post the loads, or how many it took. But it was ridiculous.

I will say it took 6 months to get there.

He's still alive. Can't say the same for the Taurus.

**** fool.

Hannibal
12-26-2017, 01:33 AM
You all will laugh, but I have an H&R model 088 20 gauge 3" full choke that will absolutely 'ring your bell' with heavy loads.

That thing will 'put you in skirts'.

My neighbor has a Ruger #1 in 45-70.

OH. MY. GOSH. THAT. HURT.

Saeco 19. 461 grains. 53 grains of IMR 3031.

Ow.

Ow.

Ow.

Mother.

CGT80
12-26-2017, 01:48 AM
The first revolver I bought is a 8 3/8" Smith 460 mag. I think my load for the 300 jhp is 42.0 grains of Win 296 and it showed right at 2,000 fps on my chrono. 240 jhp and around 45 grains of powder is more like 2200 fps. The recoil is stout but the noise, even doubled up and the concussion (slap to the sinuses) is a bit much. Light and mid loads are very fun. 44 mag level loads are very tolerable for recoil and not as bad for concussion. It is very versatile and the craftsmanship, trigger feel, and looks are worth enjoying.

This year, I bought my second revolver. There likely isn't any way I will fire a full power load from this one. No way, hell no! Smith M&P 340 357 mag. It is scandium but with a stainless cylinder. 38 +p are great and while you know you have shot something that kicks (it has crimson trace green laser grips) it is still fun. With light loads it is a very nice little pistol.

Smith 500 revolvers have some kick and a shooting buddy had me try factory ammo in his, before he did. He was a bit shy and let me be the test dummy.

Another shooting buddy let me try his 45-100. I think it was a 405 grain cast boolit he loaded up and may have been at 1800 fps. I wasn't going to and should have skipped it. My body just can't take that anymore as I have constant muscle tension and neck and back issues.

I agree with others, load them so they are fun. My 30-30 load is 1300-1400 fps and has mild recoil and the 30-06 is the same. The AR 9mm is great for plinking and competing. As a teen, I could shoot a big coffee can of full power 30-06 in a day. A couple decades later.........nope.

Earlwb
12-26-2017, 10:33 AM
I used to have a Tokarev pistol that I converted to .38 Super and it was something of a handful then. They used to make a barrel conversion for them years ago.

I used to own a little stainless S&W .38 revolver years ago. I used it as a backup when I was doing police work at the time. It was a handful shooting the .38 Special police issue ammo for qualification though. You had to shoot 50 rounds and towards the end it was getting quite challenging.

I still have two monster guns. One is a .69 caliber flintlock pistol that I use .69 Minnie balls in. It is heaving 750 grain lead bullets out of the barrel. The more current monster pistol is a Magnum Research .45-70 revolver with a 6 inch barrel. Don't shoot it at night as the flash will kill your night vision. The recoil can get pretty strong with heavier bullets. You know, if a gun has a really tall front sight, then that might be a hint as to its recoil potential.

Catshooter
12-27-2017, 12:59 AM
I earned my first Man Card with a Charter Arms Bulldog, 250 grain Keith and his load of 17.5 grains of 2400. I've shot a few since then ('73) but as I age . . . :)

Cat

clum553946
12-27-2017, 05:40 AM
I have a Smith 460 8 3/8’s with the brake. With full power loads I can handle 2-3 cylinders before I have to call uncle! The good thing about this is when I pick up my 629 Classic afterwards, it’s actually a joy to shoot! The one that made me quit after one shot was my Stoeger Coach that I shoot for cowboy action. It’s chambered for 3” shells, so one day when I was practicing, I decided to drop a few 3” 00 buck magnum shells to see what it was like. Big mistake! Touched one off, thought I had broken my shoulder and have no inkling to ever try that again!

warboar_21
12-27-2017, 07:01 AM
I can’t remember if my friend had the 340 or the 360 but I will say without a doubt nothing to this day has hurt my hand like that little j frame did. After shooting 5 factory 125gr 357 Mag rounds I lost the feeling in my ring and pinky finger for close to two weeks.
He bought both the 347 and 44 mag models when they first came out. He used to guide fishing trips in Alaska so he had the 44Mag for that and carried the 357 when in town.
Took me a long time before I was interested in shooting a j frame again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Soundguy
12-27-2017, 07:43 PM
Took my 470 nitro express double rifle to the range today for the first time... That was interesting. ;)

StolzerandSons
12-28-2017, 01:03 AM
This is a video of IdahoSharpshooter(another member here) and myself shooting the 2 Bore pistol I built:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tq1tV3MBnx0

Soundguy
12-28-2017, 11:49 AM
Nice video!

Mytmousemalibu
12-28-2017, 11:59 AM
I just saw this and the 2-bore rifle "Double Deuce" you built previewed/auctioned at the recent Rock Island Auction!

I will say you make some incredible guns! I'm an admirer of your work!

StolzerandSons
12-28-2017, 12:29 PM
I just saw this and the 2-bore rifle "Double Deuce" you built previewed/auctioned at the recent Rock Island Auction!

I will say you make some incredible guns! I'm an admirer of your work!
Thank You for the compliment. The customer who ordered them and another of my rifles passed away from a heart attack about a year and half ago. Nearly all of his collection was auctioned off or sold, the people in his family who might have wanted the guns passed away before he did(son had an accident and his twin brother died of cancer). He was a big bore collector and had a pretty amazing collection...several 4 bore SXS rifles a 600NE Encore Pistol, 950JDJ rifle...two big safes stacked 3 or 4 deep in every slot with rifles and the shelves filled with big bore pistols. He was a really nice guy and will be missed by many people.

Mytmousemalibu
12-28-2017, 03:17 PM
Thank You for the compliment. The customer who ordered them and another of my rifles passed away from a heart attack about a year and half ago. Nearly all of his collection was auctioned off or sold, the people in his family who might have wanted the guns passed away before he did(son had an accident and his twin brother died of cancer). He was a big bore collector and had a pretty amazing collection...several 4 bore SXS rifles a 600NE Encore Pistol, 950JDJ rifle...two big safes stacked 3 or 4 deep in every slot with rifles and the shelves filled with big bore pistols. He was a really nice guy and will be missed by many people.

Hate to see stories end that way but I suppose we all have to pay the piper in the end. Hopefully the guns we cherish go to folks that care for them like we do. We are just temporary custodians and curators of our collections.

I really liked that gorgeous 4-bore stopping rifle you built! A piece that can actually be enjoyed without risking a historically significant gun.

15meter
12-28-2017, 07:58 PM
Took my 470 nitro express double rifle to the range today for the first time... That was interesting. ;)

Check post 109.

470 Nitro did the majority of the damage with cast plinker load. This was my Holloween porch lantern. That is a section of Oxygen cylinder from the 30's. ~ 5/16 wall thickness. 416 Rigby did help some too:veryconfu

Soundguy
12-28-2017, 08:20 PM
Nice, thanks

Alan in Vermont
12-28-2017, 09:53 PM
I got my man card(not that I need one, I'm not insecure) a few years ago with 2 rds from a 14" Contender in 45-70 with modern levergun loads. Still had the factory, wood, grip. That one hurt.

Maybe three winters ago I got the card punched again with one of those little Smiths.

Three guys were shooting on our indoor range. I'm guessing off-duty LEOs from our only "big city" the Republik of Burlington. Their Dept. is known for poor range behavior and are personnel-non-grata at most of the ranges within driving distance.

Anyhow, I was RO for the evening, slow night just me & the three stooges. Frat house antics, barely spoke to me when they came in. I caught one of them fanning a single action 22, had the pleasure of counseling him for that. :)

So, a while later Larry drug out the monster Smith. Offered it to Moe & Curly, in turn, they fired one round each. Then they danced around shaking their hands and cussin'. Being curious I had to ask what that thing was and I got the whole whoopla about what it was made of, how little it weighed. Then he asked if I wanted to try it. "Sure, I'll burn your ammo"

And so I did, vicious little monster, DA! No way to get off a second shot without re-gripping the thing it twisted THAT bad. It also dug about an 1/8" deep x 1/4" wide and 3/8" long chunk out of the inside of my right thumb just ahead of the web. I knew it had bit me and I wanted to cry. But I didn't, I rolled off the last two in the cylinder(tighter grip for those) then handed Larry back his gun. I got a "Whadda ya think?" out of him and said something like "You might want to wipe the blood off it."

And I still didn't cry!!

Murphy
01-01-2018, 01:14 PM
I would have to say it was a Linebaugh, just can't remember which caliber due to the fact it's been over a decade. But, it was a handgun I decided I was pretty sure I'd never want or find a need to own.

Second to that in my own personal collection, is a S&W Model 29 Mountain Gun Talo Special with a 4" barrel. I cast some Lee 320 grain slugs and stopped at 19.0 grains of a slow burning powder. I've been told all my life I have big hands and huge wrists. 18 rounds of the above combination out of that Mountain Gun, and my wrists hurt. Never, have I had any gun do that to me. Back in the day, I would sometimes shoot 100 rounds of the classic Keith load out of my 6" 29-2 and have no problems.

And finally, not a 'man' card. But a great gal is this photo. I was standing there when her father took this photo. And that single action on her hip ain't nothing to play with either, trust me. Oh, almost forgot. You should see her empty the magazine of a Thompson class III, and laughing while doing so.

Murphy

Earlwb
01-01-2018, 06:21 PM
Yeah women can show it how it is done for sure. It does tend to obfuscate the man card issue though.

One handed with S&W .500 magnum pistol.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFAApRUH094

or the short barrel version one handed
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDcsW7ZEcAQ

This lady too was really liking it too. At5 feet and 105 pounds the gun was almost as big and heavy as she is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FnsEjKS9F4

Of course there was that super wimpy reporter who did that NYT article about how terrifying a AR15 .223 was. Loud, powerful, and it bruised his shoulder after he fired one. It sorta makes me want to puke. he will be among the first to die with the SHTF scenario happens.
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crime/firing-ar-15-horrifying-dangerous-loud-article-1.2673201

MGD
01-02-2018, 12:15 AM
For me it was, a Freedom Arms M83 2" with Freedom Arms 325 gr Loads. I still shoot it once or twice a year. I hunt with a 4" and 300 cast loads.

Soundguy
01-02-2018, 10:47 AM
Yeah women can show it how it is done for sure. It does tend to obfuscate the man card issue though.

I work with a lady, small critter, weighs like 100# wet. She goes kayaking and to the range when I and some friends go. After a few months, we had to give her an honorary man card, despite the obvious mismatch of 'parts'. She hung with us on the guns and whatnot. Some women like to play like the boys do, and they don't have to be butch. they can go shoot smoke poles, go fishing, whatever, then turn around and be fem.

Of course there was that super wimpy reporter who did that NYT article about how terrifying a AR15 .223 was. Loud, powerful, and it bruised his shoulder after he fired one. It sorta makes me want to puke. he will be among the first to die with the SHTF scenario happens.
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crime/firing-ar-15-horrifying-dangerous-loud-article-1.2673201

When i read that, I was unsure whether to die laughing.. or be saddened / sickened. How does an AR-15 in .223 / 5.56 bruise your shoulder???? you can shoot them 1-handed like a pistol.... easily!

I went back and re- watched the video. It looks like the reporter kept moving the butt stock off his shoulder repeatedly when looking down the weapon. If he did this while shooting I can see it thumping his shoulder.. but still can't see it hurting him... unless he is very, very, very fragile. We take my buddies KIDS out shooting.. one of his girls was 16 when she started shooting 30-06... and she would go thru a box or two at the range, easy.

Earlwb
01-02-2018, 08:13 PM
I remember there was a lot of outrage on the internet about that wimpy reporter. He later admitted that he over exaggerated it all and basically lied about it for dramatic effect.

Tom W.
01-02-2018, 08:25 PM
Basically lied is an understatement....

44Blam
01-03-2018, 12:10 AM
I have a Redhawk that has the 7.5" barrel. I really like 23.5 grn of 296 under a 240 grn gc or jacketed boolit. Or the other load I like is 22 grn 2400 alliant. Both have a hefty boom.
You can't really shoot either load one handed, but you can hit clays at 100 yards with those loads.

NavyVet1959
01-03-2018, 12:22 AM
I suspect that my .44mag Redhawk has probably the most kick of any of my handguns. Either that or a full load in the Ruger SBH in .45LC...

http://images.spambob.net/navy-vet-1959/ruger-redhawk-640w.jpg

On the other hand, that stiff load in the Redhawk is not that big of a deal in the Rossi M92.

bluelund79
01-03-2018, 01:09 AM
124gr Hydrshok through my derringer. That absolutely sucked, and the 158gr 38 special through the same gun with the extra set of barrels wasn’t much fun either. I’d rather run 310gr 2400 loads through my M69 all day instead.

ga41
01-16-2018, 11:10 PM
Mine was earned with a Lou Horton spl. model 29 with the K framed round butt and the 2 3/4" ? barrel with full house 240 gr PMC about 30 years ago. Close is my 12" TC in 45/70. Some of you folks are nuts LOL

am44mag
01-17-2018, 11:59 AM
In the late 70's I was at the range. A fellow showed up with a 505 Gibbs on a huge Mauser action. He shot it a couple times and asked if I wanted to try it. Sure I said. I sat at the bench lined it up and fired. It rocked me so much my toes came up and struck the bottom of the bench. THANKS I said as I gave it back. Man that hurt. Man card issued and framed.

The biggest gun I've ever shot was a 458 Win Mag. The fella who owned it was nice enough to show me how to shoot a heavy recoiling rifle first. It didn't kick near as hard as I though it would when I did it his way.

am44mag
01-17-2018, 12:18 PM
I suspect that my .44mag Redhawk has probably the most kick of any of my handguns. Either that or a full load in the Ruger SBH in .45LC...

http://images.spambob.net/navy-vet-1959/ruger-redhawk-640w.jpg

On the other hand, that stiff load in the Redhawk is not that big of a deal in the Rossi M92.

My favorite hot load sends a 240gr LSWC out of a 6" barrel at 1530 FPS. You could say that kicks a bit. :D

Plate plinker
01-17-2018, 07:32 PM
Tc contender in 45-70. That is less than fun.

kayala
01-17-2018, 09:36 PM
400gr going 1350 fps out of my 500S&W 7.5" - not wrist breaking but definitely grabs your attention ("only" 540 power factor) :)

tazman
01-17-2018, 09:41 PM
400gr going 1350 fps out of my 500S&W 7.5" - not wrist breaking but definitely grabs your attention ("only" 540 power factor) :)

I just did an energy calculation on that. Over 2000 foot lbs. I have shot quite a number of rifles with less energy than that. My 243 for instance.

Wild Bill 7
01-17-2018, 10:09 PM
One of my friends has a T/C with a 30-30 barrel. With factory 150 grain loads it was one of the worst I have ever shot. Two shots was all I could manage. Almost broke my middle finger. It did break the skin on the knuckle. In my opinion the 500 S&W was easier with 440 grain full house loads.

Soundguy
01-17-2018, 10:20 PM
I have a magnum research BFR in 30-30.. Its quite a bit to handle.

Hossfly
01-17-2018, 10:46 PM
Mine was a Thompson contender 14’’ bbl in 44 magnum. Purchased when had enough money and not a lot of cents. Got 50 rounds with it, shot about half that box, still have the rest somewhere, ordered a .22 bull bbl for it. Man that tamed things down, when the hammer falls, it just don’t move at all. Then picked up a 357 bbl with a choke for shooting those plastic shot shells, till i forgot to remove the choke and sent a pb thru it, pulled it right off the threaded end. Gave my man card up with that 44 tho. Now shoot mostly 9mm and 38s.

OS OK
01-17-2018, 11:04 PM

Well, there you go boys, pass them out...after reading of all the misery ya'll have gone through in the name of fun...you've earned them.

Only one caveat...there's still a few manly things to do yet...

Earlwb
01-17-2018, 11:14 PM
Chuck Norris has to give you his approval before you can get your man card.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OR014zNCN1I

charlie b
01-19-2018, 12:13 AM
You guys are all wimps. :)

Go find a Walther .25acp micro pistol. Get a full two finger grip and pull the trigger. The slide will cut two nice parallel grooves in the web of your hand. If you can fire the rest of the magazine with blood running over the grip you can have your man card. :)