PDA

View Full Version : Best hideaway gun for bedroom protection

Grmps
12-19-2017, 07:48 PM
https://i.imgur.com/yX7A39o.gif

bdicki
12-19-2017, 07:57 PM
He's good, must be all the practice he getting.

Jamezius Maximus
12-19-2017, 07:58 PM
Lol, that is pretty slick system of storage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

labradigger1
12-19-2017, 08:22 PM
Bangin the headboards out.

Grmps
12-19-2017, 08:59 PM
Wonder what would happen if his wife was next to him :(

MaryB
12-19-2017, 09:35 PM
She gets whacked on the head with a shotgun...

dragon813gt
12-19-2017, 09:45 PM
There's a lot of nice furniture being made w/ hidden compartments. W/ two young kids at home if it doesn't open w/ RFID I can't have it in my house. And opening in this manner kind of defeats the purpose of it. Maybe one day [emoji3]

lightman
12-19-2017, 11:42 PM
Yup, having young kids in the house restricts how you can store your self defense weapon. Be it kids or grandkids.

Char-Gar
12-20-2017, 12:01 AM
That will work IF you are in bed! If you are not in bed, not so much.

smoked turkey
12-20-2017, 12:13 AM
We are empty nesters and virtually no one goes into our bedroom around here anymore but the wife and I. My 870 riot gun loaded with 00 buck is within my reach by the bedside. I have been thinking about getting a good light and mounting it to the magazine tube in such a way as to make the light virtually the sight. So where the light shines is were the gun shoots.

NoZombies
12-20-2017, 02:21 AM
I'm a restless sleeper sometimes, I'd hate to wake up to a shotgun hitting me on the head because my noggin pushed into the headboard.

NavyVet1959
12-20-2017, 03:02 AM
Yup, having young kids in the house restricts how you can store your self defense weapon. Be it kids or grandkids.

Not if you teach them RIGHT. I taught my kid right and I had no problem leaving a loaded gun sitting anywhere around the house if I was so inclined.

Mr_Sheesh
12-20-2017, 04:00 AM
You could definitely set a hidden storage system up with a sear or magnetic catch so you had to press HARD to get it to open, making a minor head bump on it not cause deployment. Or even a thin dowel or glass rod you have to break to deploy it. I've also seen fabric covered speakers set so you rip through the covering to grab a handgun, radios with a pistol velcroed to the back, and lots more of creative sneaky concealment systems. You don't have to buy someone's costly fancy system, just think sneaky :) That shotgun holder is definitely a good answer, though.

lightman
12-20-2017, 07:43 AM
Not if you teach them RIGHT. I taught my kid right and I had no problem leaving a loaded gun sitting anywhere around the house if I was so inclined.

I'm worried about that in between age when they are mobile enough to get into things but not old enough to understand. We won't be taking any chances.

Hickory
12-20-2017, 08:00 AM
Wonder what would happen if his wife was next to him :(

It would be determined if she decided to raise her head or not.

Hickory
12-20-2017, 08:07 AM
He's good, must be all the practice he getting.

I'll bet it's good for his waistline doing all those sit ups.
I should do some sit ups, my belts getting a little short.

dragon813gt
12-20-2017, 09:17 AM
I'm worried about that in between age when they are mobile enough to get into things but not old enough to understand. We won't be taking any chances.

This is where I'm at. When they're both five or six I won't be as worried. My mother grew up w/ her father's duty revolver sitting on the dining room table. I remember him coming home and placing it on the same table. I knew not to touch it. But those memories start around age five.

jonp
12-23-2017, 10:12 PM
A loaded pump without one in the chamber propped next to the bed is one of the guns I have in my bedroom. The added benefit is that any bad guy will hear the distinctive slide rack when I pick it up and get ready for some fun. I've never had to use it and hope I never do but I think that will be about all it takes for anyone to rethink their choice in profession.

MaryB
12-23-2017, 11:04 PM
AR-15 is in a ready rack with one in the chamber. I pull the pin and the gun is available for use. Pin in the rack and trigger is blocked. PK380 is always with me, at night it hang on a loop on the night stand within reach.

NavyVet1959
12-23-2017, 11:33 PM
A loaded pump without one in the chamber propped next to the bed is one of the guns I have in my bedroom. The added benefit is that any bad guy will hear the distinctive slide rack when I pick it up and get ready for some fun. I've never had to use it and hope I never do but I think that will be about all it takes for anyone to rethink their choice in profession.

Most arguments involving a 12-gauge get solved rather quickly with very few rounds fired. :)

Mr_Sheesh
12-24-2017, 09:07 AM
The case I know of, the would-be perp suddenly remembered that they'd left the iron on at home, and proceeded to RACE home to turn it off before there could possibly be a fire :p

FISH4BUGS
12-24-2017, 09:38 AM

My Dad was a 25 year full bird Colonel in the MP's. He had a cocked and locked 45 on him and or the bedside stand every day of his life. We, as kids, knew that if we wanted to meet our maker early, all we had to do was touch the gun.
If we asked, he would unload it and let us fondle it. He always gave us a safety lesson when we looked at his gun. I grew up with a healthy respect for guns.
A soldier tried to commit suicide (shot himself in the stomach) and threw his gun out the window into our yard. I was a 9 year old kid and I found the gun, and picked it up. It looked like a cap gun to me and I pointed it up into the tree and pulled the trigger. Of course it went BANG! and scared the daylights out of me.
That lesson about never pointing a gun at anything you did not intend to shoot, and his lessons about gun safety probably saved me or another kid.

6bg6ga
12-24-2017, 09:44 AM
A 1911 at the ready on the night stand or inside the drawer. My opinion is a shotgun or any rifle is simply to big too bulky to be of any value. I'll take a handgun any day for home defense.

TAC14
12-24-2017, 10:07 AM
Remington TAC14 with light, laser, stuffed with mini buck shells.

jsizemore
12-24-2017, 11:12 AM

A modern day LEO will tell you, if they or the bad guy hear a gun being cocked or action racked both will start shooting in the direction of the sound or light. You have given your position away.

MaryB
12-24-2017, 04:49 PM
I keep the rifle handy more for varmints, got a call last week from the neighbor across the street that coyotes were going after the horses so I setup in my front porch and waited for him to chase them out into the field. Got 2 of the 4 anyway. Mangy looking, fur was worthless so the neighbor used his tractor to bury them.

A 1911 at the ready on the night stand or inside the drawer. My opinion is a shotgun or any rifle is simply to big too bulky to be of any value. I'll take a handgun any day for home defense.

jsizemore
12-24-2017, 07:09 PM
I keep the rifle handy more for varmints, got a call last week from the neighbor across the street that coyotes were going after the horses so I setup in my front porch and waited for him to chase them out into the field. Got 2 of the 4 anyway. Mangy looking, fur was worthless so the neighbor used his tractor to bury them.

That's some good shootin'.

Budzilla 19
12-24-2017, 07:33 PM
Ruger P90 at the ready in the bedroom with an 870 for backup. Plus a few more scattered in strategic locations!!

MaryB
12-24-2017, 11:17 PM
Short range, 70 yards with a 223... 55 grain V-max dropped them where they were running. I think they were sick the way they were trying to take on an almost full grown pony. Neighbor said he got the other 2 the next night as they came into town. Explains the 2 shotgun blasts I heard.

That's some good shootin'.

6bg6ga
12-24-2017, 11:58 PM

And this has what to do with my comment on having a 1911 for protection? Did you have a varmint break in? I hope they weren't armed.

NavyVet1959
12-25-2017, 12:04 AM
And this has what to do with my comment on having a 1911 for protection? Did you have a varmint break in? I hope they weren't armed.

This is the internet and we're on the 2nd page of this topic. It's going to morph, that's just the way of internet topics. You should be surprised it hasn't morphed into sex or politics by this time. :)

Mr_Sheesh
12-25-2017, 03:42 AM
NavyVet, we can arrange that! :)

Protecting one's (or a neighbor's) livestock IS a form of self-protection, anyways. Good job on nailing Coyotes there, MaryB :)

A shotgun's a good answer if you use the bed as cover or at least concealment and fort up there; If you plan to clear your own house, a handgun would be better for almost all of us. Hard for the invader to get a hand on it if you clear the place properly. (Side-step, clearing a new segment, rinse, repeat - NOT hollyweird's putting the gun in front of your face, blinding yourself with it, plus turning your back to the bad guys... That's good for letting the cameras "see your good side" maybe, but do you WANT to face AWAY from a threat? Bleah.)

Also - Just ONE 1911? Huh, I thought "Two is one and one is none" applied here too :P

Der Gebirgsjager
12-25-2017, 07:49 AM
Just tossing this out for consideration -- I want to hear and be aware of an attempted break-in before I wake up and find them already in the bedroom. Perhaps not so easy, depending upon the structure in which you reside.

6bg6ga
12-25-2017, 09:15 AM
This is the internet and we're on the 2nd page of this topic. It's going to morph, that's just the way of internet topics. You should be surprised it hasn't morphed into sex or politics by this time. :)

Long rifle or shot gun as opposed to a 1911 = more to grab onto in the event someone is already in the house. Not a real good idea. Now if Coyotes get in your home like Mary then by all means shoot the hell out of your walls with a shotgun or pepper your walls with rapid AR15 fire from your 5.56 or 300 Blackout.:bigsmyl2:

6bg6ga
12-25-2017, 09:17 AM
Ruger P90 at the ready in the bedroom with an 870 for backup. Plus a few more scattered in strategic locations!!

I have a gun in every room.

Lloyd Smale
12-25-2017, 09:34 AM
12 guage and an ar15 next to the dresser. 1911 on my side of the bed and my wife side has her lc9. COME AND GET IT!!

tim338
12-25-2017, 11:59 AM
I have a Winchester model 12 riot gun loaded with #4 buck for my house gun.

jonp
12-25-2017, 03:07 PM
A modern day LEO will tell you, if they or the bad guy hear a gun being cocked or action racked both will start shooting in the direction of the sound or light. You have given your position away.

I understand what your saying but I don't live in a 40,000sq ft mansion. If someone breaks in while we are here it's a good bet they know where we are anyways. My point is that I want them to know that I am up, awake and ready to go if they want some.

texasnative46
12-25-2017, 03:25 PM
To All,

Both a 12-gauge riot gun loaded with #1 buckshot by the bed & a P225 Sig-Sauer 9mm on the nightstand.

yours, tex

Mr_Sheesh
12-25-2017, 06:06 PM
Der Gebirgsjager, a dog will solve that issue. And be a good companion :)

I don't have anything HERE that I "have to" protect that's between here and the front door; It's all past me, so I figure call 911 and "fort up" if a break in is occurring; If the police won't respond (they do not have to, contrary to popular belief) then I would decide whether to clear the rest of the house or stay in place. The front door here is fairly heavy metal, of course the window frames are vinyl so I'd expect that might be their point of entry; Warning them off one way or another is a good idea ("Please leave, I don't want to have to shoot you" or the like maybe?)

And we'll all be happy if no self-defense is needed at all, because that's the lowest stress way of us staying alive & well (which is my outcome & - I imagine - Yours as well.)

Walkingwolf
12-25-2017, 06:20 PM
When is that guy going to get tired?

Char-Gar
12-25-2017, 09:10 PM
I have pistols, revolvers, and shotguns in my house ready to deploy. In my bedroom I have a two tiered defense;

1. Whitman my Pekingese dog sleeps with me and nobody will come into the house without me knowing about it.

2. I have a Smith and Wesson 2" Model 64 a few inches from my and and a Colt Government Model in the nightstand should something more be needed.

MaryB
12-25-2017, 09:19 PM
Hada racoon chew through a screen, 380acp didn't slow him, 223 splattered him on the wall! And yes my ears rang for a week!

Grmps
12-25-2017, 09:38 PM
You need a 300 AAC Blackout with a can. Don't need hearing protection shooting subsonic.
And 200 to 240 grns. boolit @ 1100 fps will take care of most anything

MaryB
12-26-2017, 09:25 PM
$1,000 can, $200 tax stamp, be on a government list... PASS!

You need a 300 AAC Blackout with a can. Don't need hearing protection shooting subsonic.
And 200 to 240 grns. boolit @ 1100 fps will take care of most anything

texasnative46
12-26-2017, 09:36 PM
MaryB,

Did you have the coon checked for RABIES??

yours, tex

Grmps
12-26-2017, 09:37 PM
Me too, but I really enjoy shooting my friend's set up.
It's a handi rifle so you can enjoy shooting without burning up a lot of ammo in a hurry emptying magazines.

I've been thinking about those little crossbows. Quite and lethal.

MaryB
12-27-2017, 10:39 PM
Nope, put on rubber gloves, double bagged it and tossed it in the trash. Then washed the wall down with bleach to clean up the blood. Skunks get the same treatment and where they die on the ground I bleach to kill the virus.

MaryB,

Did you have the coon checked for RABIES??

yours, tex

MaryB
12-28-2017, 09:21 PM
I know my garbage man, he was born in my house back when it was the midwives house in the 50's and 60's. I shot a skunk one night that the neighbors cat kept fighting under my back deck. Made the house just reek. Garbage can was almost full so I propped the dead skunk up so it looked like it was leaping out of the garbage can. I wish I would have recorded him opening that lid! The swearing went on for 15 minutes then he said he would get me back...

6bg6ga
12-28-2017, 09:55 PM
I'm still trying to figure out why the 380 didn't take him down. :Fire:

Mr_Sheesh
12-29-2017, 12:30 AM
MaryB - Uh oh you may have created a monster!

6bg6ga - 380 just isn't all that powerful; It shines at being FUN, tho. Mine was great at poking holes in targets / critters but NOT at dropping them on the first hit. So I was using > 1 round :P

6bg6ga
12-29-2017, 06:47 AM
MaryB - Uh oh you may have created a monster!

6bg6ga - 380 just isn't all that powerful; It shines at being FUN, tho. Mine was great at poking holes in targets / critters but NOT at dropping them on the first hit. So I was using > 1 round :P

I think that Mary can probably comment for herself.

Being that my wife owns (2) 380's and I reload for both I am just amazed that the slightly shortened version the (9mm short)wouldn't take down a small animal even with 2 or three shots. Kind of like using a 44 magnum on a squirrel.

Mr_Sheesh
12-29-2017, 08:05 AM
6bg6ga - I imagine she can handle the monster! Just that I suspect she's created one, too LOL

And yes - The difference being 95 or 100 grain RN vs 240-250 grain Keith; When I shot a squirrel with a 44 Mag, it had a nice clean cut hole clean through, 380 pokes a hole more like a javelin hole and the hole seals up almost fully. Bullet configuration matters I guess.

6bg6ga
12-29-2017, 08:22 AM
I still guess that my comments were directed to Mary.

I fully know the abilities and capabilities of a 380 as do I know the abilities of a 44 magnum since I own (4) of them.

Must of been one hell of a critter that it needed to be taken down with a AR or lack of a good shot placement. Just my opinion here or maybe the Monster that you suspect she created.

opos
12-29-2017, 09:02 AM
We keep a Gp100 with golden saber's in it for a night stand gun...we also have several revolvers stashed around the house and a shotgun and couple of revolvers in our "safe room"...our main goal if we get visitors is to get into the safe room with the door locked and LEO on the way...if the safe room door is at risk the 00 buck is the "greeter"...I can't legally carry off the property but usually have my modle 36 at home in my pocket or a fanny pack if I'm wearing sweats....We live not far from Tijuana so are on alert much of the time..old so we don't go out at night or out much any where any more.

6bg6ga
12-29-2017, 09:33 AM
Like I mentioned I keep a 45 1911 on the night stand. I sleep good with 2 German Shepherds on guard. Someone has to get by them first and being that both are females they are more agressive than the males are and unless they are in heat or a good looking male German Shepherd arrives on my door step with a cooked T-bone steak wishing to share with them I doubt entry is going to be made. If in the event they do manage to get past both Shepherds they have my 1911 in my hand to deal with and the wife with her 1911 in her hand backing me up.

There is no logic in a tactical AR15 with a light, light with strobe, or a laser being used because it provides a point for the person breaking in to target. Also the logic of using a 12 gauge shotgun or long gun may not be too sound either because of the ability of an intruder being able to grab the long gun in the event they get close.

I have viewed a number of CD's depicting different scenarios and each seems to show that a person trying to defend with a shotgun or long gun of some type isnt going to fair as well as a person with a small gun held closer to their body instead of out at arms reach where it can be grabbed.

MaryB
12-29-2017, 11:07 PM
95 grain ball bounced off his skull I didn't hit him square so it deflected... after that I started keeping hollow points loaded... the Buffalo Bore is 200fps faster than the cheap range ammo I had in the mag.

MaryB
12-29-2017, 11:18 PM
AR was next closest gun... I did NOT need one of the cats getting in a fight with it!

I still guess that my comments were directed to Mary.

I fully know the abilities and capabilities of a 380 as do I know the abilities of a 44 magnum since I own (4) of them.

Must of been one hell of a critter that it needed to be taken down with a AR or lack of a good shot placement. Just my opinion here or maybe the Monster that you suspect she created.

Mr_Sheesh
12-30-2017, 01:44 AM
The "created a monster" comment I made was in response to MaryB's "I know my garbage man" post. He probably WILL get even LOL

RP
12-30-2017, 03:10 AM
I shot a coon with a 357 loaded with 158 jacketed hollow points. First shot blew him back about 5 feet he kept coming to me 2 shot did the same he still thought it a good thing to keep coming to me 3 shot his back legs no longer worked and most of his guts were dragging so he decided it was time to turn around. 4 shot he was just crawling flat on the ground 5 shot was between his ears and game was over.
Sure bullet placement has a lot to do with it but when a coon is coming at you and is only 20 feet away pinpoint aiming was not in my game after that I was thinking well one more shot will do it but I was wrong. Was the coon sick well did not look sick he was mad I was keeping him from the trash can. I really did not want to shoot him so I stomped my foot and yelled at him to go away that when he decided to fight. Yes it was a large coon sometimes you need a bigger gun sure a 22 will kill a coon with one shot other times it wont.

This thread is about hide away guns for home protection lets get back on track before it gets out of hand.

As far as home protection or shooting inside your home keep in mind how many walls with your choice go threw and what or who else in behind those walls. A shot gun may be better loaded with bird shot then buck shot. If you think bird shot will not do the job put two layers of sheet rock up and shoot it at 10 feet. Unless you have very large rooms that how far the bad guy will be maybe I am missing something but I do not want to shoot a family member on the other side of a wall I am trying to protect just something to think about.

6bg6ga
12-30-2017, 07:35 AM
Part of any good thread is to let people express themselves even when somewhat off topic comments are made by moderators. Part of the discussion sometimes includes little tid bits of off topic information that does seem from time to time bring forth other pertinent content.

I just finished looking for a DVD that was a commercial product that explained home self defense and unfortunately I cannot find it probably because I loaned it to someone and never got it back. Anyway, the guy explained about different calibers and long guns verses pistols, shotguns and the like. In the DVD that I cannot find or I could reference the makers name and you could go out and purchase a copy or I could have made copies and sent them out.

The DVD mentioned calibers, wall penetration and shooting thru your home and killing your sleeping neighbor in the house next to you. Mentioned in the DVD was that a gun that was long AKA Shotgun, rifle and so forth could easily be rendered useless in your hands if the intruder go close enough to grab it. Rifles and shotguns were a No No in the DVD as were high powered short barrel rifles and or something with a light, strobe, and laser on them simply because that point of light shows the intruder exactly where you are and where to shoot in order to take you out.

The DVD mentioned a pistol with a slower velocity bullet with a larger mass. Why? Probably the ability to knock down and keep the intruder down. Its hard to explain to law inforcement why exactly you spent 15 rounds into the intruder in order to stop them and a lot easier to explain 3 or 4 rounds.

While I cannot prove the existance of the DVD I had so it probably doesn't exist to some so I will recommend that you look into some of the free DVD's out there on protecting yourself in the home.

The above mentioned material is why I will back myself with a 1911 any day as opposed to an AR15 with a light or a tactical shotgun.

Mr_Sheesh
12-30-2017, 08:40 AM
6bg6ga - If you "fort up" behind a bed, NOTHING is wrong with looking down the barrel of a 12Ga or rifle at an intruder, so long as overpenetration's not an issue. (Some people live miles from their neighbors, and others have safe backstops before the neighbors' place.) The bed keeps them out of reach of your barrel & you can purely RUIN their WEEK before they can get at you, melee-wise at least.

Agreed on house clearing using a long gun tho, very bad idea; For that matter, if you don't have to clear your house, best to let the pros do it, really. They have dogs and more backup than you or I do... I've taken training in house clearing & so on & even with that, given the option, seems best to stay in a safe spot & wait. If you don't know what you're doing and try house clearing, you can have your handgun taken away from you, we used to demonstrate that in the classes I helped with. (Poor Brett - another assistant instructor - was the 'defender', and got to fly a few feet when I "disarmed" him, I was gentle but effective...)

IMO - Good idea to get hands on training, not all DVDs are made by super knowledgeable folks (can't comment on your DVD as I have zero idea who made it!) Gunsight and many other good schools out there, and education is light to carry with you & helps you live longer :) I've seen people having problems hitting a target because of pre-ignition syndrome i.e. they shove the weapon away as they jerk the trigger, because they're afraid of the weapon's muzzle blast; Seen people close both eyes, to "protect" them, even with good safety eye wear on, a DVD won't catch what you are doing wrong - but, any competent instructor will. People can self-teach and get it right o'course, just that a good teacher's worth paying :)

6bg6ga
12-30-2017, 08:49 AM
I guess if I ever get an intruder I'll ask them to wait a minute so I can move the bed and get behind it because I'm using a 12ga shotgun.

Yup, I've taken the training also and could easily disarm an intruder while breaking a few bones in the process. IMO everyone remotely considering being able to defend themselves should take the course or face the possibility of no matter how small a group they can make at the range being able to properly defend oneself and ones property is a different ball game.

Wish I could find that DVD right now