PDA

View Full Version : Beretta M9

EMR
12-19-2017, 04:13 PM
Just picked up a used one. Full detail strip to deep clean and install new springs. Holy cow this pistol has a lot of parts!

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171219/b948255f53e7321fd89bc50fca6f732d.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171219/05c6cff5da741152c69c8fb47ab2a6ce.jpg

TCLouis
12-19-2017, 04:48 PM
Funny when I deep clean, it means all plastic is removed and the "Carb Cleaner" comes out.

Pistolero49
12-19-2017, 04:49 PM
Nice M9! I have a 92FS I bought in the early 90s. Accurate, dependable, with a nice smooth double and single action trigger pull. It is a keeper.

AZ Pete
12-19-2017, 06:20 PM
Great pistol, I bought one for my grandson to get familiar with since it was going to be his issue when he deployed. It's a little big, but a solid piece with a good trigger, and it feeds and shoots everything it’s fed, no failures so far.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

EMR
12-19-2017, 06:52 PM
Funny when I deep clean, it means all plastic is removed and the "Carb Cleaner" comes out.

LOL I love to tinker with things. Especially since it’s used and who knows what it’s been through. The extractor practically had 10lbs of grime on it.

Nice M9! I have a 92FS I bought in the early 90s. Accurate, dependable, with a nice smooth double and single action trigger pull. It is a keeper.

Great pistol, I bought one for my grandson to get familiar with since it was going to be his issue when he deployed. It's a little big, but a solid piece with a good trigger, and it feeds and shoots everything it’s fed, no failures so far.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I’m with you guys. It’s a little big but it’s a sweet and easy shooter

keyhole
12-19-2017, 07:02 PM
Holy cow this pistol has a lot of parts!

Those are nice photos of before and after.
I have a M96, .40 S&W equivalent (more or less) of yours. I noticed the same thing when taking it down somewhat for routine cleaning. There are a lot of parts, as you so clearly illustrated!
the good news- It has never failed or given me any problems in several thousands rounds. It has a decent trigger pull for what it is and has good accuracy.

Texas by God
12-19-2017, 08:02 PM
They are big for that little cartridge they shoot but I sure want one. Bill Wilson praised it and Uncle Sam adopted it and that's good enough for me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

LUCKYDAWG13
12-19-2017, 08:46 PM
I bought one back in 1993 I just never felt the love for it maybe I'll dig it out again

Budzilla 19
12-19-2017, 08:54 PM
Bought a practically new one two years ago! Previous owner had the last 15 rounds of the first 50 round box left in the pistol! Spare mag, crimson trace grips, original grips also, factory box included! One of those” hey ,you know anyone looking for a 9 mm “? kind of things! I wasn’t looking but he said it hadn’t been fired in 25+ years,so that pretty much sealed the deal ! I love it. And you are correct, boy, does it have a lot of pieces! Good looking pistol you got there.

Petrol & Powder
12-19-2017, 10:04 PM
The Beretta 92 series pistols are great pistols. Maybe a little over-engineered by today's standards but excellent pistols and well made.

Yea, there's a lot of parts but Beretta has learned a thing or two over the last 400+ years !! They know how to make all of those parts work together.

The model 92 was more evolutionary than revolutionary. The basic form dates back to the Beretta Model 1951 and some features like the open top slide go back even farther. The design evolved and became double action, the safety moved to the slide, the magazine was enlarged to a double stack design, the magazine release was relocated, a firing pin block was added and about another dozen changes made it into the Model 92.
They are remarkable pistols.

nagantguy
12-19-2017, 10:11 PM
Nice example of the model; never loved the ones I had to carry, large,complex,front sight had a habit of falling off,until fixed slide would fall off with a hard downward strike. Held lots of rounds and shot fairly well. Just never rung my bell, even bought one when Uncle Sam let me out, thought maybe I'd grow on me and I was very familiar with the platform and familiarity breeds competency and that can lead to mastery but no just never caught on with me.
Know other vets who love em. I think I have some 30'round mags still if your interested pm me for a good deal.

Dan Cash
12-19-2017, 10:24 PM
The basic form dates back to the Beretta Model 1951 and some features like the open top slide go back even farther.

The thing is copied from the Walther P38, also a sub standard pistol with too many parts.

beagle
12-20-2017, 01:05 AM
Good score. Just because the Army doesn't like it don't mean it's a dawg. They shoot quite well and this weekend I was at a gun show and a guy had two huge plastic bags filled with new M9 magazines. With the Army re-equipping with the SIG, now's the time to get one if you're in the market for a 9mm./beagle

EMR
12-20-2017, 06:24 AM
Those are nice photos of before and after.
I have a M96, .40 S&W equivalent (more or less) of yours. I noticed the same thing when taking it down somewhat for routine cleaning. There are a lot of parts, as you so clearly illustrated!
the good news- It has never failed or given me any problems in several thousands rounds. It has a decent trigger pull for what it is and has good accuracy.

That is good news! I expect mine to be no different.

They are big for that little cartridge they shoot but I sure want one. Bill Wilson praised it and Uncle Sam adopted it and that's good enough for me.

And don’t forget Bruce Willis in Die Hard used it!

I bought one back in 1993 I just never felt the love for it maybe I'll dig it out again

I don’t know. If you haven’t liked something in 24 years, what’s going to change your mind this time?

Bought a practically new one two years ago! Previous owner had the last 15 rounds of the first 50 round box left in the pistol! Spare mag, crimson trace grips, original grips also, factory box included! One of those” hey ,you know anyone looking for a 9 mm “? kind of things! I wasn’t looking but he said it hadn’t been fired in 25+ years,so that pretty much sealed the deal ! I love it. And you are correct, boy, does it have a lot of pieces! Good looking pistol you got there.

That’s always a fun score!

The Beretta 92 series pistols are great pistols. Maybe a little over-engineered by today's standards but excellent pistols and well made.

Yea, there's a lot of parts but Beretta has learned a thing or two over the last 400+ years !! They know how to make all of those parts work together.

The model 92 was more evolutionary than revolutionary. The basic form dates back to the Beretta Model 1951 and some features like the open top slide go back even farther. The design evolved and became double action, the safety moved to the slide, the magazine was enlarged to a double stack design, the magazine release was relocated, a firing pin block was added and about another dozen changes made it into the Model 92.
They are remarkable pistols.

Huh, that’s interesting info! That’s for sharing that.

Nice example of the model; never loved the ones I had to carry, large,complex,front sight had a habit of falling off,until fixed slide would fall off with a hard downward strike. Held lots of rounds and shot fairly well. Just never rung my bell, even bought one when Uncle Sam let me out, thought maybe I'd grow on me and I was very familiar with the platform and familiarity breeds competency and that can lead to mastery but no just never caught on with me.
Know other vets who love em. I think I have some 30'round mags still if your interested pm me for a good deal.

LOL the front sight would fall off? How did that lead to the slide falling off? Thanks for the mag offer. But I’m in California where everything is illegal [emoji30]

Good score. Just because the Army doesn't like it don't mean it's a dawg. They shoot quite well and this weekend I was at a gun show and a guy had two huge plastic bags filled with new M9 magazines. With the Army re-equipping with the SIG, now's the time to get one if you're in the market for a 9mm./beagle

I didn’t even think of that. I imagine those pistols it would be an understatement to say they’re rough around the edges!

Love Life
12-20-2017, 06:50 AM
Ummm, how did you make the front sight fall off the issues M9?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Petrol & Powder
12-20-2017, 09:12 AM
The basic form dates back to the Beretta Model 1951 and some features like the open top slide go back even farther.

The thing is copied from the Walther P38, also a sub standard pistol with too many parts.

Whoa, Whoa, Whoa.... :-o

You don't have to like it if you don't want to.

The barrel to slide locking arrangement is based on the Walter locking block but the open top slide is a Beretta feature that pre-dates the Walther.

Personally, I wouldn't call the Beretta or the Walther a "sub standard pistol".

EMR
12-20-2017, 11:15 AM
Whoa, Whoa, Whoa.... :-o

You don't have to like it if you don't want to.

The barrel to slide locking arrangement is based on the Walter locking block but the open top slide is a Beretta feature that pre-dates the Walther.

Personally, I wouldn't call the Beretta or the Walther a "sub standard pistol".

Right? Choose to ignore him. Basically as he called my purchase “substandard”

nh7792
12-20-2017, 11:19 AM
I had one for 2 years and loved it. Sold it because I never shot it. (more rifle shooting than pistol) Now I miss it and think I'll start looking around for another. :bigsmyl2:

Char-Gar
12-20-2017, 12:13 PM
Different people evaluate "things" using different standards and sometimes come up with polar opposite views.

When I went down to South America to live, I took a pair of Minolta cameras with me, plus an assortment of lenses. In the Andes and the jungle they quickly developed problems and I had to send them back to the States for repair. I quickly learned they would not stand up to hard use so I bought a pair of Nikon F1s. These were the standard for globe trotting photo-journalists and combat photographers. They never hiccuped once for the years I used them.

About the same time I read Consumer Report on the Nikon and they rated them lowest of all cameras tested.The reason: they were to heavy. Their heavy duty construction which made them reliable was a negative.

When people talk about the Beretta 92/96 series of pistols, folks come up with different notions. In the beginning people love to hate them, because they were the upstarts that replace the 1911A1 and in 9mm no less. I have found them to be reliable accurate pistols that fit my hand better than any other auto-pistol but the Browning HP. I like them allot. The folks that think they are sub-standard are simply using a different check list.

A couple of years back I bought a 96 DAO that was police surplus. I like the 40 S&W caliber and the trigger pull is as easy and smooth as a good Smith and Wesson sixgun.

Artful
12-20-2017, 12:29 PM
Looks like the SIG 320 will be in shortly.
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/a9/1f/7b/a91f7b7309f252deff0cf9a79e555349.jpg

mcdaniel.mac
12-20-2017, 12:45 PM
I've never liked the SA pull, but I did much enjoy a Wilson Combat tuned model that had a very smooth DAO pull. Couldn't complain about anything else. Biggest problems I had with issued sidearms were bad magazines; easily solved with an order to Midway for some MecGar mags.

Should you be a philatelist, the Beretta action lends itself to suppression without use of a booster. Thompson Machine and DeGroat Tactical make some lightweight direct thread cans that will come in under the 8oz theoretical limit.

dragon813gt
12-20-2017, 12:51 PM
Should you be a philatelist, the Beretta action lends itself to suppression without use of a booster.
This is one of the few sites where people will actually know what that means. Finding a Millennial that knows it's meaning is almost impossible.

tazman
12-20-2017, 01:15 PM
I had a Beretta 92fs and really liked the way it shot and it's reliability.
I traded it in for a Taurus PT92(actually a couple of them) because of the safety on the Beretta. I like the safeties to work the same on my handguns so I don't have to think about it during a stressful situation. The Beretta safety works opposite the Taurus and 1911 safeties and is in a different spot on the gun.
The Taurus pistols I have handle and shoot exactly like the Beretta except for the safety.
With the Taurus PT92, my 1911 pistols, and my Springfield XDE, I have a single manual of arms that can be used across all three platforms. The only difference is that double action is available on the Taurus and Springfield pistols.
Reloading, safety, slide release, and mag release are otherwise all the same.
I like to keep it as simple as possible for my simple mind.

EMC45
12-20-2017, 01:31 PM
The front sight is a machined part of the slide. All the ones I carried for my rich uncle were at least.

Good solid gun. Heavy and big, but solid. I bought one upon leaving Navy service and couldn't get it to shoot so down the road it went. I carried one for the Air Force as well. They all shot pretty well aside from the "green" ammo we were mandated to shoot in them. I always shot expert with them. The grip is a bit stout for my child like hands, but they do the job.

Texas by God
12-20-2017, 02:40 PM
Yeah, I called b.s. on the front sight falling off an M9 as well....

rking22
12-20-2017, 02:53 PM
I like the design, not a fan of the backwards safety on the slide. Mine is a DAO M96. Exact same manual of arms as my revolvers, point at appropriate target press trigger till boom, repeat as needed :) Kinda kidding there , but I much prefer double action pistols. Fits the hand well if a bit biggish. The CZ75 feels the best of the double stacks to my hand anyway. You did well, enjoy it. There is sure to be and unending supply of spares to keep them running forever. I picked up a 9mm barrel for my 96, it now eats 9s as well as 40, kinda fun :)

Petrol & Powder
12-20-2017, 03:28 PM

When people talk about the Beretta 92/96 series of pistols, folks come up with different notions. In the beginning people love to hate them, because they were the upstarts that replace the 1911A1 and in 9mm no less. I have found them to be reliable accurate pistols that fit my hand better than any other auto-pistol but the Browning HP. I like them allot. The folks that think they are sub-standard are simply using a different check list.........

I agree that people love to hate the Beretta 92 and I will even go a step farther. When the U.S. military was evaluating the Beretta there was more than a little intentional sabotage going on. Some really hot 9mm ammo found its way into some pistols, there was intentional damage done to pistols and rumors were intentionally started and spread.
Yes, there were some problems but the reputation of the pistol was slandered and false rumors were happily spread by the haters. We saw the same thing happen with the Glock.

The Beretta 92 does have a large grip but I agree that it fits many people well despite its large size.
I have found the Beretta 92 series pistols to be extremely reliable, even when dirty and poorly maintained.
While they may not be for everyone (that different checklist thing) they have their place for others.

As for the front sight "falling off" ? I find that difficult to believe for the ones that have the front sight that is integral with the slide.

mcdaniel.mac
12-21-2017, 04:15 AM
RE: front sights falling off, the M9A1 (the one I was working with, dunno how prolific they were for other branches but they came into service just in time for me) has a three-dot sight system instead of the older M9's permanent sights. I think they use a Novak dovetail but I could be half-remembering that. That makes the falling off plausible at least.

fjruple
12-21-2017, 07:06 AM
I bought one of the first Beretta 92FS when they first came out as a home practice gun for my military issued M9. I never shot the pistol and it sat in my safe. Later I picked up a used police issued 92FS that was traded in for the Glock 40s when all of the police thought that was the cats meow. I put about 5,000 rounds through that pistol and lately I upgraded the pistol with an adjustable rear sight, the Beretta "G" kit mod and lighten the trigger with a Wilson kit. Great pistol!! A little big for a 9mm but it was developed back in the "Wonder 9 years". I have used the M9 in combat in OIF I and only found two problems, first was the safety had a tendency of popping off safe without me realizing it and the mags springs would not hold a full 15 rounds without trouble. The safety issue I lived with. For the magazines, I had Brownells rush order Wolff 10x springs to me to replace in the mags and then I had no problems. I continue to enjoy shooting my M1911, 92FS and will be getting a M17 when SIG makes them available to the public.

--fjruple

avogunner
12-21-2017, 08:14 AM
I've had my M9 for about 10 years now and do love it. Really didn't plan on getting one until I saw one of those Beretta M9 package kits (holster, belt, lanyard) on consignment at the LGS. Good price, had the cash, so it came home. Anyway, it'll eat anything.....I've shot thousands rounds through this one and the ones I carried in the service and never had failure to feed, eject, anything (of course that was all ball ammo). I started my Marine Corps career with the 1911 and those will always be "my gun"! I do remember though, one of my first years qualifying with the .45, I had to put a black pasty at 11 o'clock high on the target to hit black. Still qualified expert with that particular warhorse but it wasn't easy. When the M9's came out, I could practically ace the standard pistol qual course with it. Shot straight, no recoil, and with my big mitts, fits my hand with a natural point of aim. Yep, I love my .45's but will never get rid of my M9 either.
Semper Fi

richhodg66
12-21-2017, 08:37 AM
I shot the M-9 in the Army over the course of my career quite a bit, but only on Army qualification courses using ball ammo. They are very rugged, well made good guns. I never warmed up to them much, I have small hands and short fingers and things are just harder to manage on one of those as big as they are and as far as you have to reach for everything. That is purely a personal preference though, they are good guns.

Love Life
12-21-2017, 09:31 AM
RE: front sights falling off, the M9A1 (the one I was working with, dunno how prolific they were for other branches but they came into service just in time for me) has a three-dot sight system instead of the older M9's permanent sights. I think they use a Novak dovetail but I could be half-remembering that. That makes the falling off plausible at least.

Sight is not dovetailed in our M9A1 pistols.

I’m still waiting to learn how the front sight fell off an issued M9, lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EMR
12-21-2017, 03:17 PM
It’s interesting to see how many folks used it in the service and ended up with one after but aren’t 100% completely sold on it being for them other than it’s reliable.

Lloyd Smale
12-23-2017, 08:04 AM
first a guy would have to be a bit thinned skinned to post about a gun here, ANY GUN, and not to expect some to not like them. Ive had a couple through the years and have a tarrus copy now. Do I like them. Yes and no. Mine have been very reliable good shooting guns. that said there heavy fat gripped and awkward in the hand to me. Why would an ex military man want one and still bash it. Many buy it just for the memorys. Bottom line is that many in the military didn't like them. thank God that inspite of that many are still sold. Lots of soldiers that had 1911s that weren't that reliable still want those old GI guns today. Again I thank them because if they didn't we wouldn't have all the 1911s that are still made today. Personaly I think rugers 77s are nothing to write home about but I own a couple and have owned many. Because I own them doesn't mean I'm precluded from bad mouthing them. On the contrary having owned probably 20 of them through the years makes me a bit more qualified to give an opinion then someone who bought one for an only rifle and thinks the sun rises and sets on them.

Petrol & Powder
12-23-2017, 11:25 AM

I've had several Beretta pistols over the years and still have my 92FS.
The best model 92 I had was an Italian made 92SB. The "coolest" was a Type M.

When I look inside the Model 92 and note its construction, my primary takeaway is that it is a bit old school. The aluminum frame is extensively machined with lots of intricate milling. Many of the small parts are steel forgings that are machined into their final shape. The large steel slide is finely machined with complex curves and multiple cuts. Even when compared to some of its contemporary pistols such as a SIG P226 or a S&W 59, the Beretta appears to be a complex design. The 92FS evolved from the Beretta model 1951 and despite the growing complexity over its long development, they are extremely reliable pistols.
The reliability and durability of the model 92 is a testament to Beretta's excellent engineering and careful evolution of a good original design.

Production for the model 92 started in 1976 and the 92FS [M9] started in 1985. Between 1976 and 1985 there were some incremental changes (like the 92S & 92 SB) but the basic DNA was there in 1976. By the time the 92FS came along, the design had matured about as far as it could. I hesitate to use the word "zenith" but I think it's fair to say Beretta came into the U.S. military trials in the early 1980's with the most "old world" design of the competition.

1985 was only 32 years ago but I think the Beretta 92FS is a pretty cool piece of history. It will likely be the last military pistol that displays that type of construction.

robertbank
12-23-2017, 07:33 PM
Very nice example shown. Congrats to the OP. I hope we see some of the surplus M9's wonder North. I now have three Berettas and a Girsan Centurian copy. Great pistol to be sure and extremely accurate. I am afraid the polymer guns are going to dominate the pistol scene for the next while. I just bought a Walther PPQ Match and it is an outstanding pistol for playing most of the pistol games we play at now. I hope Beretta continues to make the 92 FS along with a couple of iterations well into the future.

Weight is a huge issue for the modern army. Going to the SIG 320 as the US Army's primary pistol was inevitable.

I would not buy a gun based upon a Military's choice because my needs are not theirs but if the pistol met my needs in would be a household fixture.

Merry Christmas

Bob

Road_Clam
01-02-2018, 07:55 AM
I picked up a 92FS about a year ago, outstanding shooter in both fit and function. I too agree very complex internals, but the 92's leave behind a legacy of 100% reliability so complex or not it's not an issue until it's time for your detailed strip and clean.

robertbank
01-02-2018, 10:15 AM
I picked up a 92FS about a year ago, outstanding shooter in both fit and function. I too agree very complex internals, but the 92's leave behind a legacy of 100% reliability so complex or not it's not an issue until it's time for your detailed strip and clean.

The nice thing is you can get a can of Brakefree, spray the snot out of the gun and carry on with no need to deal with the fiddly parts. As stated before I stayed away from this model for years but once properly introduced to it, it was love at first sight. The gun is reliable as the sun coming up and always seems to send the bullet exactly where the sights are aligned to. Occasionally that happens to be where I thought I was aiming. :>)

Happy New Year folks. 2018 should be an interesting year.

Take Care

Bob

Meatpuppet
01-02-2018, 10:17 AM
Ben Stoeger won the USPSA Production Division using a Beretta Elite II in 2011. Its essentially a 92FS with a slightly thicker slide, crowned barrel, decocker only and dovetailed front and rear sights. Its amazing what a "G" mainspring and a nice trigger job can do to these guns.