PDA

View Full Version : Richard corbin feedback?

wonderwolf
08-21-2008, 12:18 AM
http://rceco.com

Anybody have any feedback on Richard Corbins stuff? I'm getting ready to put down my hard earned monies for one of his sets but was curious as to what all to expect from him? I'm looking at the .223 sets to start out with then go from there. durability of his dies? what kind of care do they take etc? Mind you I take great care of my dies as it is I just want to know what I'm getting myself into before I get into it.

georgeld
08-21-2008, 12:53 AM
Good stuff, should outlive you with care.
High priced as H. and from what I've read, slower than the itch's.

The more calls and e'mails the man gets the longer it will take him.
Been told he puts things in the order rec'd and works from there til he gets to it. One order at a time. Just be patient and prompt when he contacts YOU is the best advice I've found dealing with him. Other than a couple letters years ago and one e'mail I have no exp. myself, just what I've read though.

Good luck,

Southern Son
08-21-2008, 03:58 AM
Wonderwolf, I have a freind that ordered some stuff from him ages ago, what Georgeld says is exactly what my friend said.

rbt50
08-21-2008, 05:50 PM
i buy for richard all the time,this work is excellent the only thing is the wait usually is 6 months to a year.

wonderwolf
08-22-2008, 12:31 AM
I emailed the man last night got a reply. I'm going to place a order with him Thanks for all the help!

powderburnerr
08-23-2008, 12:37 PM
Wonderwolf , there was a walnut hill and a couple sets of dies , one a .440 on e bay a day or so ago, if you are interested.Dean

dardascastbullets
08-23-2008, 05:21 PM
http://rceco.com

Anybody have any feedback on Richard Corbins stuff? I'm getting ready to put down my hard earned monies for one of his sets but was curious as to what all to expect from him? I'm looking at the .223 sets to start out with then go from there. durability of his dies? what kind of care do they take etc? Mind you I take great care of my dies as it is I just want to know what I'm getting myself into before I get into it.

Wonderwolf,
I am going to assume that you have never swaged jacketed bullets before. Whatever techniques you applied to your reloading operation you will have to magnify several times over while swaging! Cleanliness is next to Godliness when you are performing any swaging operation - whether it is cutting wire, swaging cores, lubing cores, lubing jackets, upsetting the cores, or point forming. A clean, white bed sheet is a must to place under the work area. Under no circumstances are dirty hands permitted while swaging! Your dies, cores, and jackets MUST be absolutely clean! All techniques applied towards swaging will prevent scratches in the dies, which you do not want! A scratch in the upsetting die or the point forming die results in junk. So wash your hands prior to starting any operation and keep your work area super clean along with your components too!

PS - buy yourself a pound of anhydrous lanolin - that is going to be the only lube that you will use while swaging. I used to apply a very small amount to the palm of my hand and rub both palms together. This proved to be ideal for handling cores and jackets without removing any existing lube.

Good luck!

Matt

chrisx1
09-15-2008, 10:50 PM
I have had an order for .223 dies in since Jan '08. He said it would take 45 days when I ordered.
I don't have the dies yet.

Chris

Buckshot
09-16-2008, 01:38 AM
..............When I ordered my swaging stuff (Walnut Hill press, 5 cav core mould, dieset for 2 ogive cup based .443") it took IIRC about 4 months or so. I think I called him once a month. Maybe twice there in the last few weeks as it was coming together.

chrisx1, when was the last time you talked to him?

................Buckshot

wonderwolf
09-16-2008, 11:09 AM
I've sent him several emails saying I've finally got my order together and he hasn't replied. I tried calling him yesterday to place my order over the phone, being this much money I want to talk to a person and have my final Q's answered before any credit card numbers are exchanged.

Buckshot
09-16-2008, 10:58 PM
................Richard has several irons in the fire, so may be away. He also owns an extensive Christmas tree farm. Maybe he got lost in it :-). In my conversations with him he was always courteous and never acted like he wished you'd get off the phone.

..................Buckshot

wonderwolf
09-18-2008, 11:58 AM
yeah he was really nice when I finally got him on the phone. I put my order in with him and since we had been emailing before his price change he honored his old prices....thats just something you don't see any more. I know it will take more than the 45 days he told me over the phone but I'll do as you did and give him a call every once in a while.