PDA

View Full Version : Taurus Mdl 65, 66, and 82 questions

Mr_Sheesh
12-19-2017, 04:19 AM
Possibly getting one for the plinker for 38 special; MAY get a Mdl 82 or 65 though, we'll have to see what pops up.

I've been looking around for dimensions on the cylinder of each of those (length) so I can see if 357 Maximum brass, at 1.605 in (40.8 mm) length, would be long enough or too long or whatever for shotshells; Mainly curious, if no one has a dimension I'll wait till it arrives.

Petrol & Powder
12-19-2017, 07:42 AM
I can't give you the dimensions but I will say that I gave up on Taurus years ago. The old model 82 (close, but not 100% copy of the S&W model 10) was sometimes a decent gun. The Taurus model 85 (similar to a S&W J-frame) was often a very good little gun and they hold up well.
Other than those two, I would pass on a Taurus. Sometimes you get a good one and sometimes you don't.

There are so many excellent S&W Model 10's out there that I would just look for one of those instead. LE trade in S&W model 64's aren't as cheap and common as they once were but there are still LOTS of them on the market. If you're looking for an inexpensive .357 mag model, I would seek out a Ruger GP-100.

This isn't written in stone, just ramblings of someone that has travelled that path.

YMMV

swheeler
12-19-2017, 10:04 AM
My M65 cylinder 1.640" long

Guesser
12-19-2017, 11:31 AM
I have a 40+ year old 82 that is still in running condition and has never failed but if you want to use those long cases in the cylinder chambers you will need to bore the chambers straight thru; get the shoulder out of each chamber. I don't see a gain worth the effort and expense.

Mr_Sheesh
12-19-2017, 03:43 PM
Petrol & Powder - TY; I would return it to make them fix it if it's not right, I'm a bit picky even for a plinker, tools have to work RIGHT.

swheeler - Thank you! Longer than the 357 Max., should do the job.

Guesser - I've done the 45ACP shotshells, I'd fake a plastic wad I think & do this the same way. 410 wads I have for 45ACP shotshells are just a little large for 357 rounds :)

Texas by God
12-19-2017, 08:07 PM
I have a 40+ year old 82 that is still in running condition and has never failed but if you want to use those long cases in the cylinder chambers you will need to bore the chambers straight thru; get the shoulder out of each chamber. I don't see a gain worth the effort and expense.Not to mention it would ruin the accuracy of regular ammo.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Mr_Sheesh
12-20-2017, 03:22 AM
I know that if I did bore them through I'd dedicate that revolver just to shotshells; I don't fire THAT many of them, who knows though maybe when I move it'll be to a target rich environment.

TDB9901
12-22-2017, 03:35 PM
I use long cases in my .38's for shot shells. I run them in a die I fashioned to bottle neck them so they fit the chambers.

Keep pressures down so they don't stick, seems to work fine. Higher pressure loads make the already wide patterns even worse so it isn't a problem for me....

Read an article years ago about doing that with cut down rifle brass for .45 auto shot shells. Figured there should be no difference. Doesn't appear to be. There is a whole section in this forum on shotshells for handguns... good info there.

Just my $.02.

Mr_Sheesh
12-22-2017, 05:36 PM
I figure once I get the weapon I can measure the cylinder's bores and figure out the sizing, maybe a size die I already have, we'll see :) I have the RCBS 45 ACP shotshell dies and have used those, works very well. I'll have to fake wads as a Remington SP-410 won't likely fit into a 38's cartridge very well, so maybe some thin PP or something. (thermoplastic so I can weld it thermally seems good)

dubber123
12-25-2017, 01:06 AM
nothing wrong with Taurus at all.

THe only detriment is the finish they have been using last few years. Otherwise, good to go.

Glad I finished my cough drop before I read this, choking on Christmas eve wasn't how I planned on going out.. :)

Guesser
12-25-2017, 11:10 AM
I've never experienced a problem with Taurus revolvers, good guns, they shoot right along side my S&W, Colt, Ruger and Charter Arms. They all do their job well.

warboar_21
12-27-2017, 07:21 AM
I have a late 80s model 66 with a 6” Barrel. It has seen thousands of rounds. Most of which were full tilt jacketed until more recently switching to cast.
That gun has ran flawlessly ever since I’ve owned it.
Not sure about the newer ones though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk