PDA

View Full Version : Casting session today!

44Blam
12-18-2017, 12:31 AM
So, got a new NOE mould for my 8mm Mauser - it's .323 and the pointy ones. Then I also cast a ton of 240 grn 44 mag pb and gc - same shape.

One thing to say about the NOE mould is that it was casting great boolits after about the third cast. I followed their directions, pre-head a couple times and smoke the cavities with a bic lighter...

bangerjim
12-18-2017, 11:29 PM
Try pre heating your mold to FULL CASTING TEMP (not just "warm") using an electric hotplate B4 starting and you drop perfect boolits from the FIRST drop! I do.......all the time.....with all my molds.....irregardless of brand/cal/size.

Jal5
12-19-2017, 12:22 AM
Try pre heating your mold to FULL CASTING TEMP (not just "warm") using an electric hotplate B4 starting and you drop perfect boolits from the FIRST drop! I do.......all the time.....with all my molds.....irregardless of brand/cal/size.

Yep what he said. If it’s a coil type heat surface put an old saw blade on it. Distributes the heat better. Then you can put a metal can over the mold to hold the heat too.

RoGrrr
12-19-2017, 12:32 AM
I bought a hot plate at a garage sale for a buck. When I light up my furnace, I light the hot plate and put the mould on it. As bangerjim said, perfect boolits the first drop.

44Blam
12-19-2017, 02:51 AM
I put my mould on a hot plate at "med-high" while the lead is heating up - I also put it plate down. Normally, I cast rounds to see how they're filling out and once they look good, I drop 'em in water... Usually I drop the first round and then just start casting...
For me, 3rd drop on a brand new mould is pretty **** good....