PDA

View Full Version : 1873 Beaumont

Battis
12-17-2017, 05:08 PM
I looked at an 1873 Beaumont in a small shop yesterday. Not knowing much about them, I gave it the once-over, but I've been researching them as far as price, ease of reloading, etc. It's on consignment for $450 but the shop owner said the seller will take offers.
It's a great looking rifle that seems to be in good condition, but they seem like a lot of work to get shooting. I'm going back for another look - any suggestions, opinions, or whatever? I don't mind a project gun.

smkummer
12-17-2017, 06:20 PM
I believe it’s interchangeable with 43 Egyptian of which I load for my Remington rolling block. One can form 32 gauge mag tec shotgun brass but the rim is just a bit small or more expensive 50 sharps from starline. 446-448 diameter lead bullets in the 340 grain range was what was original. I am sizing a 385 grain Lyman bullet originally for the 45-70 down to .451 and it shoots well in my gun. I am using 13 grains unique and it’s really accurate, oops sorry, this is black powder.

yulzari
12-17-2017, 06:46 PM
X-ring services at xringservices@yahoo.com does cheap and good Beaumont from 32 gauge Magtech cases. Worked well in my old Beaumont.

fgd135
12-18-2017, 01:07 PM
Beaumonts are accurate rifles and use standard 45 cal bullets. I reload that X-ring 32 ga reformed brass using a .45 LC die set to neck-size only, and shoot 415 gr .45-70 bullets sized to .458", using ~60 grains of 2 Fg.
I've not used smokeless or bp substitutes with these balloon head cases.
Offer down somewhat on that rifle--I purchased one recently in vg/exc. condition that was considerably less. Fwiw, Beaumont crux bayonets are expensive, for some reason, with the blade bayonet even more so.

john.k
12-20-2017, 12:10 AM
I have a simple rule with old guns.....a mint bore or it can stay in the shop......A simple way to classify the old european guns........klassic or klunker.......and Im afraid the Beaumont strays onto the wrong side of that line.......nevertheless......a mint bore is worth buying.