PDA

View Full Version : Winchester low wall

hammersmith
08-20-2008, 06:07 PM
Hi,
I've recently come across a complete and original wichester low wall that has been ruined by reaming the original 44-40 barrel to 410. I want to rebarrel this rifle to shoot. What is the largest cartridge I can rebarrel this to? (not that I want the biggest its so I know the limits).

Thanks.

Jon K
08-20-2008, 06:13 PM
Just food for thought............how about a barrel liner?

Jon

calaloo
08-21-2008, 07:44 AM
The low wall was offered in pistol calibers of the time. I believe the largest chambering was 44-40. Other more knowledgable people might expound on this topic.

Bill

Boz330
08-21-2008, 08:22 AM
I think Jon might have the best answer. That would be a fun little rifle in 44-40. Pbobably the cheapest way to go as well and you don't have to worry about refitting the stock and sights.

Bob

missionary5155
08-21-2008, 12:04 PM
[QUOTE=Jon K;383191]Just food for thought............how about a barrel liner?

I would recommend the liner also... I have a 1876 Winny 45-60 that is relined and no regrets ! Just a very hard to see ring at the end of the barrel and everything stays origonal. :)

Pepe Ray
08-21-2008, 01:29 PM
All of these replys are excellent, unless money is tight. Go ahead, ask me how I know.
If it were mine to shoot and was not trying to "polish a diamond", I'd get some .444 mt's and load it for myself. Sounds like fun.
Pepe Ray

hammersmith
08-22-2008, 04:11 AM
Thanks for your input. The barrel has a really ugly pipe wrench gouge on the barrel so thats why I'm asking about rebarreling but resleeving is an option.

Frank46
08-22-2008, 11:51 PM
Check out John Taylor and his website. While I've never had one of his jobs performed on any of my single shots. Others here and on the ASSRA web site have and have posted good reports. Relining would be a way to keep the origional bbl with all its markings intact (except the wrench marks of course) And possibly better resale down the road. A new bbl will cost more than a reline due to costs like new bbl, fitting and chambering, any sight work and finish. So if money is tight a reline may be the way to go. Your choice. Frank

badgeredd
08-24-2008, 12:06 PM
Hi,
I've recently come across a complete and original wichester low wall that has been ruined by reaming the original 44-40 barrel to 410. I want to rebarrel this rifle to shoot. What is the largest cartridge I can rebarrel this to? (not that I want the biggest its so I know the limits).

Thanks.

Since you want "the largest cartridge I can rebarrel this to", you probably aren't interested, but I'll throw it out anyway.

I purchased a really beat up lo-wall about 20 years ago. It was chambered for 32 RF and the bore was gone. Someday I may have it relined but at the time I picked up a 22 centerfire barrel and chambered it for 218 Masburn Bee. The pressure range isn't excessive for the action, it is scarey accurate with light 50 grain and below bullets. I just started shooting cast and a fellow member gave me some 45 grain boolits to try. WOW!!!! Really fun to shoot and accuracy that'll drop sqirrels consistently out to 100 yds. It wears an old Weaver K-4.

The reason for the Mashburn Bee over the original cartridge was something that P.O. Ackley said he believed. Being an "improved" cartridge with staight sides, Ackley believed there was less rearward thrust from firing. I'm not qualified to agree or disagree but it seems to be true in my rifles as I get less cartridge stretch from my improved cartridges than I do from the originals.

The action should be safe with any low to medium pressure cartridge, but for safety sake I'd stick to smallish cartridges like the Hornet, 22 Super Jet, 256 Winchester Mag. or pistol cartridges with the exception of the 44 mag and above. The 44 mag may be perfectly ok but I personally would rather error in the direction of safety.