PDA

View Full Version : Reproduction of Colt's .40 Caliber Experiment

Good Cheer
12-16-2017, 10:39 AM

Thanks to Mr. John Taylor.

Nobade
12-16-2017, 02:36 PM
Cool! Tell us more - is it a rebore and open the chambers, or more involved? What size is everything?

Outpost75
12-16-2017, 03:06 PM
Cool! Tell us more - is it a rebore and open the chambers, or more involved? What size is everything?

+1 on the above! Inquiring minds want to know!

bedbugbilly
12-16-2017, 04:44 PM
+ 1 ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ Tell us more please and don't leave us hanging . . . :-) what is the bore size and what is the ball size you are using? If it is like Colt's other pistols - I'm guessing the barrel is bored .400 and then rifled? Is this a "one of a kind" or is Taylor going to stock them? Thanks!

Outpost75
12-16-2017, 05:30 PM
Taylor Machine in Puyallup, WA is John Taylor. A clever mechanic and gunsmith.

Taylor & Co. who imports the cowboy guns is a different outfit, in Winchester, VA.

Good Cheer
12-16-2017, 06:55 PM
Mr. Taylor was going to rebore the barrel but needed to use a sleeve instead (securing the barrel in his rifling machine was a problem).
It's got 38-40 rifling and .403 chambers. Chamber mouths are nicely transitioned to swage balls in and avoid cutting rings. The balls are from a Lyman .410 mold.
This makes for a nice shooting revolver. Eh, do I need a rifle to .41 ball?

Merry Christmas!

John Taylor
12-17-2017, 11:45 AM
This was one of those fun projects that was different so it got me a little interested. Breach plugs on a SXS 4 bore are in the works now. For a barrel to work in my rifling machine it needs to be 20" long, a little longer for the reaming machine. Sometimes I can slide a tube over the barrel to make it longer but on the Colt stile I could not figure a way to hold it. Several years back an old timer sent me a video of converting an 1851 to 22 LR, now to find one that is cheep to try it on.

John Taylor
12-21-2017, 11:54 AM
very easy to doo. The MORE FUN option is to recreate the old factory 22 lr conversion for standard solid frame revolvers.

Already done a 22 LR conversion. I think a 7 or 8 shot cylinder might be fun in a 22 LR. Will need to do some thinking on it but first I need to finish a bunch of other projects.

pietro
12-21-2017, 12:37 PM
Chamber mouths are nicely transitioned to swage balls in and avoid cutting rings.

Long time usage suggests that using a RB that's slightly larger than the chamber mouth is best, since the shaving of a thin lead ring guarantee's that the front of the chamber will be sealed - so may I ask why one would want to avoid cutting rings off the ball during seating ? ?

rodwha
12-21-2017, 01:01 PM
His chambers are chamfered. This way the .410" ball going into the .403" chamber still creates a wide driving band as would in a typical situation, but doesn't leave that ring of lead which is kind of a waste but also leaves something that needs to be removed. I dislike how the rings from my projectiles stick to stuff because of the Gatofeo's lube.

Good Cheer
12-21-2017, 07:25 PM
It's running a short oversized boolit into a sizer die.
The lead flows in instead of shearing off is all.