PDA

View Full Version : Make sure it works

KCSO
08-20-2008, 04:28 PM
I picked up a M38 Smith revolver the other day to replace one I had sold a while back. I have had one of these handy shrouded hammer 38's since 1972 and usually stuff it ina pocket as an extra or a just in case gun. As we sat looking at the gun today I went back to 1972 and all I could see was my ex partner, Tom...
Tom was a NOO YAWK boy from Queens and how he ended up in Fremont Nebraska is a story in itself, but in 1972 we were partners. I had just bought my first M38 as it was lighter than a standard Chief's Special and had a shrouded hammer so I could shoot through my pocket if need be. I never had to ventilate my outerware but the one time I had to draw the gun I was sure happy it didn't snag! I carried the gun in a Safariland upside down shoulder holster that cost me almost 30 bucks, a real spendy outfit then. In the winter the gun rode under my coat and in the summer under my shiirt. Tom really like the rig and saved for 2 months to get him one. The holster arrived and we fitted it for Tom...
Did I mention that Tom was 5-10 and weighed 285 pounds, and I was 6-2 and weighted 170? What works for one is not necessarily good for another. Tom stood in the linup room in front of the whoole shift showing off his new holster. He looke at me and said show 'em hoow fast this rig is: and I reached across my body and whippped out my (Empty) 38. Then Tom said, It's my turn and he reached across his broad expanse of Tom, and reached and reached and the farther he reached the farther the gun rig pulled the gun around his body. His arm was streached to the limit and he STILL couldn't get his hand on the butt of the gun. He had to sell the rig at a discount to a smaller officer and worst of all every day at line up somebody had to holler, Tom show us your fast draw!

The moral is try it before you buy it, and sometimes looking cool isn't as good as just plain works.

Bass Ackward
08-21-2008, 07:09 AM
He had to sell the rig at a discount to a smaller officer and worst of all every day at line up somebody had to holler, Tom show us your fast draw!

The moral is try it before you buy it, and sometimes looking cool isn't as good as just plain works.

What a laugher for those of us that have been there.

But us fat guys can hide guns in more places and have more room for accessories on our belt. :grin: