PDA

View Full Version : barrel removal and replacement barrel.

dukers65
08-20-2008, 01:58 PM
i'm just dying to replace a 6" barrel with a 4 5/8 " barrel on a ruger blackhawk 357 mag barrel. of course as a kid i always dreamed of marrying bridget bardot,
and i would have played joe nammath's role for free opposite anne margaret.

anyway , is there any home remedies for doing such a switch tool wise.
i already figure i'm going to need a feeler gauge ,but beyond i'm not to sure about.
dan

Junior1942
08-20-2008, 02:42 PM
Well, I'm telling Bridget and Margret that they can't come over to your house and play. So there! They're at my house playing with me and Halley and Julia.

StrawHat
08-20-2008, 03:12 PM
The easiest way to get a shorter barrel on a revolver is to use a hack saw.

The only thing you have to replace is the front sight.

Do you already have the shorter barrel?

dukers65
08-20-2008, 05:54 PM
junior ,i suppose emeril and rachel ray spend alternate nights cookin you dinner.
while you dinin on fine beef and necter of some some home brew, up here
i drink the detroit version of champagne(ripple& 7up) and dine on coney dogs.

please give anne and bridget my email address. thanks

straw i got a 4 5/8" barrel, but i will chck that out.one thing it shouldn't be bad to cut a slot for the front sight
that leaves recrowning. thanks dan
dan

yondering
08-20-2008, 06:24 PM
You can just re-solder the factory front sight back on your barrel after you shorten it. No need to file a slot. Use low temp solder. Alternatively, you can modify your front sight and screw it onto the barrel.

No need to remove the barrel just to cut and re-crown it. You can do a decent job with a file and then a large slotted round head screw and lapping compound for the crowning, or you can buy the barrel crowning tool from Brownell's for about $80.

You can also buy an action wrench from Brownells for your Blackhawk, and replace the barrel, but you'll likely have to do some fitting on the new barrel to get the sight straight up and the barrel/cylinder gap correct.

357maximum
08-20-2008, 07:45 PM
If only there was a way to have a switch barrel revolver life would be grand.......OH wait that is why I have 3 Dan Wessons in the house....sorry no single actions though.

dukers65
08-21-2008, 08:57 AM
yonderin, thanks definitely something to ponder.

357 max , it would be neat if more manufacturers adopted to dan wessons
switch barrel revolvers.

dan

missionary5155
08-21-2008, 11:42 AM
If only there was a way to have a switch barrel revolver life would be grand.......OH wait that is why I have 3 Dan Wessons in the house....sorry no single actions though.

How come you stopped at 3 ??? There are more calibers awaiting. :)

missionary5155
08-21-2008, 11:47 AM
[QUOTE=StrawHat;383112]The easiest way to get a shorter barrel on a revolver is to use a hack saw.
This is what I did to my S&W model 19-5... I needed something easier to get to and carry in a shoulder holster so my 6 inch is now a 3 1/2 incher .. front sight and base moved onto the rib and soft soldered. Has at least 200 rounds since the operation and works so much better to the need.

StrawHat
08-23-2008, 12:03 PM
Yeah, a hacksaw and a good set of files has modified more than a few tools that needed it.

Collectors and wannabes get all whigged out but on the common guns it truly makes little difference.

For a long time, during the 1800's for example, many factory revolvers came out in only one barrel length. If you wanted something different it was not available unless you had a hacksaw. It was only after the factories realized there was a market that barrel lengths become optional.

357maximum
08-26-2008, 09:35 PM
How come you stopped at 3 ??? There are more calibers awaiting. :)

Actually I could have stopped at one caliber.... If I cannnot do it with some form of iron bored 358...it do not need doing.....neener:mrgreen:

Fleataxi
08-27-2008, 02:25 PM
Y'ALL sound like you graduated from the Wiley E. Coyote School of Gunsmithing? :lol:

Fleataxi

missionary5155
09-01-2008, 12:20 PM
Finally decided I CAN post a picture...
My .357 that was a6 inchch but now a 3 1/2. Accuracy remaind the same or a hair better. But usability for my NEED is 100% better and did not cost me a penny.

missionary5155
09-01-2008, 12:24 PM
Y'ALL sound like you graduated from the Wiley E. Coyote School of Gunsmithing? :lol:

Fleataxi

GRADUAiT ?????? Whos eva hurd u such a ting ??? [smilie=1:

Johnch
09-01-2008, 04:33 PM

Fleataxi

I failed so bad they threw me out :veryconfu :veryconfu

To graduate I had to know how to use a file

I kept holding the file steady and moved the gun :bigsmyl2:

John

Fleataxi
09-02-2008, 01:16 AM
Missionary: That Laser in your pic won't live long where it's mounted. Can you say "muzzle flash damage"?

The lens looks like it's mounted so it's within the muzzle blast range, which will probably damage the unit fairly quickly.

Fleataxi

missionary5155
09-02-2008, 06:41 AM
Missionary: That Laser in your pic won't live long where it's mounted. Can you say "muzzle flash damage"?

The lens looks like it's mounted so it's within the muzzle blast range, which will probably damage the unit fairly quickly.

Fleataxi

You are correct ! I had it on the trigger guard but my finger had little room to get to the trigger. So I sighted the revolver with the iron sights.. then attached the sight out there. Cylinder has to open... Lock the revolver in a vise and align the laser at 15 yards to the sights. Protect the laser with Duct tape and fire a check round. This revolver is not my everyday carry or shooter. Sits on a chair next to the bed... gets 1 check fire round each month duct tape protection.