PDA

View Full Version : Lyman AA turret press shell holders...

connortn
12-14-2017, 08:58 PM
Just picked up a nice all american turret press from a good member here and so need a little info and advise. It came with several small and large primer rods, primer tubes and primer swing arm. I am sure I have about everything I need except a shell holder for 38 special. I think I'd rather use the J type as I'm reloading 38's only and can use the parts I have.

There are two types of J shell holders, a short and long. What is the difference between the two and does one have benefits over the other? Why did they make two different lengths?

I'll probably order a Lee die set and use powder coated bullets. I don't cast so I need to know where to find good powder coated bullets in .358. These will be shot out of a snub s&w, and to my understanding they don't have deep rifling, so do I need to look for harder cast bullets?

I have reloaded in the past so I'm familiar with the process. Just need some particulars known before I get started again.

Thanks for the advise and info...

salpal48
12-15-2017, 06:45 PM
There is No difference In the short Or Long .both will work in AA. You will get better result with original shell Holders. adapter work Ok as aLast resort. I have all the shell holder and set up 4 AA's. I don't know why they made them in 2 sizes . I think the short one were made late in AA life . before they stopped or continues making The shell holder for a while after
Great machines.

connortn
12-15-2017, 09:23 PM
Thanks Salpal48...
I am seeing some listed with a spring type loading gate. Is this the one I need if using the primer arm? If not, please identify which one I need.

salpal48
12-15-2017, 10:50 PM
The loading gate Holders are for the early made Lyam EZ loader Or the lyman Truline Senior using The Prim o matic
the push button Primer arm take the j shell Holders. after the primer system Is set. you will find it works very well . the problem Is the change over to small primer. Each of mine are set for LR,LP, SR, SP.
Try to stay with the same primer manufacturer . when You change Primers manufacturers some times the primers will not work well.
maybe it is just Me
I only use CCI for the past 40 years.
all mine are set up that way

connortn
12-16-2017, 12:42 AM
Thanks. I almost bought the wrong shell holder. Your AA collection looks like my hand saws and planes, and yes, I do use them.

Green Frog
12-16-2017, 03:58 PM
I have my AA set up with 32 S&W/H&R dies cranked up to load 327 FM. I used a set of Lyman dies with their thru-the-die expander and an Accu-Measure mounted on top. The orange of the measure sorta clashes with the pinkish red of the AA, but the fashion police haven’t shut me down yet. ;) If I get real ambitious I may take the A-M with the missing plastic reservoir, paint it ‘60s Lyman grey and use A nickel plated brass tube to give the whole thing a little bit of class. 8-)

Froggie