PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on the Remlin 1894CB in .45 Colt

hylander
12-14-2017, 08:27 PM
I am looking at buying a new 1894CB 20" in .45 Colt.
JM is not in my price range.
I have one on hold and everything looks good on it.
Action is a bit tight but smooth, and lock up is tight.
How are they for accuracy with cast ?, I am hoping to run poly coated cast through it.

Brad Cayton
12-14-2017, 09:34 PM
I bought a new 94 in 45 colt a few months back. It's the 20" non CB and I'm very happy with it. It shoots the Lee 255 RF, powder coated boolit very well. Mine will keep 5 shots in 4" at 100 yards with a Skinner peep. My JM, 44 mag will do the same but it wears a 4X scope. I'm tickled with my Remlin 45.

FergusonTO35
12-15-2017, 11:30 AM
Have you considered a Henry?

Drm50
12-15-2017, 12:49 PM
I have 0 experience shooting Rem 1894c. Have lots of experience fooling with them. Like all the
Remlins you can get one that is flawless or one that is junk. Most of the Ohio deer hunters buying
Levers are going for 1895s, or 94s in 44mg. I have only worked on 3 in 45Colt. Two were operator
error on AOL of handloads and one had issues with carrier, gun was sent back for service and
owner has sent it back twice since.

hylander
12-15-2017, 10:06 PM
Thanks for the input.
I put an 1894 on hold at the shop I work at.
It looks great, however I keep reading way to many posts on bad barrels and
how bad Remingtons CS is.

Have you considered a Henry?

Yes I have, I just can't seem to get past the tube feed, I really like a loading gate.
Also considering an 1892 Winchester (Miroku).
They are beautiful rifles, I just can't find much reviews on them.
I want accurate and reliable.

FergusonTO35
12-15-2017, 10:47 PM
I would say the Miroku made Winchesters and Brownings are probably the best lever actions you will find today aside from pricey custom jobs. The Brownings of the 80's and 90's have a real cult following but I don't know if they were ever made in .45 Colt. If the Henry sans loading gate style is a no-go and you don't want to gamble on Remlin that is what I would go for. That being said, if you can afford one of those you can afford a JM Marlin.

osteodoc08
12-16-2017, 08:26 PM
If you've checked it over good and everything is a go, I'd buy it.

I've got several Remlin Marlins that are every bit a shooter as the JM Marlins.

dubber123
12-17-2017, 09:47 AM
As I have mentioned before, I have more than a few JM Marlins, and I can assure you, Marlin was well capable of producing junk before Remington acquired them, most of mine had something or another that needed fixing. I like them all now, but if a new one checks out, it's probably going to be as good as any.

FergusonTO35
12-17-2017, 01:06 PM
I won't buy a Remlin sight unseen unles it's super cheap. If I saw one in person that I really liked I would buy it.

jban
12-18-2017, 07:21 AM
As I have mentioned before, I have more than a few JM Marlins, and I can assure you, Marlin was well capable of producing junk before Remington acquired them, most of mine had something or another that needed fixing. I like them all now, but if a new one checks out, it's probably going to be as good as any.

I have to agree with this. This is spot on for me also

Jeff Michel
12-18-2017, 09:00 AM

A friend of mine and me each bought one when they first were reintroduced, neither one has had a bit of problems functionally or accuracy wise. Mine worked ok a couple weeks ago.:mrgreen:

JonB_in_Glencoe
12-18-2017, 12:11 PM

First I will say, I love my JM (1894s in 41 Mag).
But it came with a flaw that the factory should have caught.

I bought it used in 2014, but that decades old rifle was about as close to new as it gets, reportedly only test fired by each of the two previous owners...probably only about a box of ammo through it. But it had a issue that needed to be fixed, that neither of those two previous owners noticed. Here is a post about it. Post #14, I report the solution.
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?234043-Marlin-1894-(41-mag)-with-ejection-issues-need-HELP-!&highlight=

Also, Henry was mentioned.
I love my Henry Big Boy in 41 Mag, But it has an issue. FTF and FTE about 10% of the time. It's done this since I bought it last year, and have tried about everything in regards to boolits and COAL. It's a long story, but I will say that while I did have some issues with certain boolits, making the problem worse, I believe this has a mechanical issue as well. After one more trip to the range with this Rifle last week with a boolit that doesn't seem to cause any feeding issues, I think I finally have a grasp on the mechanical issue. It doesn't appear to be anything I could 'fix'. Anyway, after a year of trying things, I sent Henry an email over the weekend, and am waiting a reply.