PDA

View Full Version : Making caps

archeryrob
12-13-2017, 10:02 AM
With Tap-o-cap gone and I might want to make my own caps, is there substitute?

Has anyone made their own? I can't see it that hard to punch circles and making you own forcing cone on a correctly sized round anvil press.

I have also seen comments that they homemade caps work in rifles but can jamb pistols.

What is true and what have you all seen?

rancher1913
12-13-2017, 10:37 AM
I have a mannyinca cap maker and have only used it on rifles, found that I need to double the pop cans to get it to stay on the nipple but otherwise worked fine. the place that makes the 22lr reloading kits makes one but don't know how good it is.

Mr_Sheesh
12-13-2017, 10:59 AM
On the usual auction site, user vindex still has 5 of those cap makers on there; That's one option anyways.

waksupi
12-13-2017, 12:07 PM
I made caps with the Tap-a-can. The toy caps being inserted had a rather disconcerting habit of going off while being seated in the caps. Always made me wonder how it would feel if the rifle went off when seating them on the nipple......

jdfoxinc
12-13-2017, 12:35 PM
The sharpshooter 22 reloaded cap maker is better than the old tap o cap. It folds the sides of the cap into a nice cylinder. Then you can use the German legends caps or make your own priming powder following the formulas in the sticky on this forum about doing so.

RoyEllis
12-13-2017, 12:59 PM
I kinda cheat....wait til BP season is over then keep eye on wally world clearance. Every year I roadtrip to several stores and buy all the CCI caps on clearance, this year scored 43 100ct tins @ $2.50 ea. Hard to beat $25.00/thousand, no hazmat & no tax (disabled vet). Oughta last me a week or so....right?

aspangler
12-13-2017, 01:47 PM
I made my own tap-a-cap from plans on the internet. Works really well on my rifles. I don't have a pistol so don't know how it would work. I scrapped the priming mixture from roll caps and mixed it with acetone to form a paste for priming.
Then I ran across 2k of the CCI cheap and quit playng with it.

archeryrob
12-13-2017, 02:01 PM
I made my own tap-a-cap from plans on the internet.

What plans, where?

I kinda cheat....wait til BP season is over then keep eye on wally world clearance. Every year I roadtrip to several stores and buy all the CCI caps on clearance, this year scored 43 100ct tins @ $2.50 ea. Hard to beat $25.00/thousand, no hazmat & no tax (disabled vet). Oughta last me a week or so....right?
They don't carry them in Maryland. Most stores don't cary them or BP. I have to got to WVA or PA or order online.

fiberoptik
12-13-2017, 02:52 PM
I tried the Tap-o-Cap with the roll caps from the wallymart. They didn’t set off my rifle, even with 3 caps. How do you get it to work?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bob208
12-13-2017, 03:15 PM
the .22 reloader one looks good also they have primer compound which works better then toy caps. there is a video on you tube about using it.

mooman76
12-13-2017, 07:58 PM
I tried the Tap-o-Cap with the roll caps from the wallymart. They didn’t set off my rifle, even with 3 caps. How do you get it to work?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Todays caps aren't as strong as they used to be. You could take a tiny bit of 3f or 4f BP in the cap to make it work. Someone here made a cup/scoop out of a used center fire primer and wire for a hnadle.

n.h.schmidt
12-15-2017, 06:53 PM
Taffer has lead the way to use the german role caps. You soak the role or part of a role in water for about a min. You can then gently part the very thin red paper off from the thick base. You then lift the dots from the paper with a sharp knife and put them (still wet) right into your cups. Tamp down and let dry. For revolver use four dots is good. For sidelock rifles I put in ten dots. Even ten dots does not fill much of the cup. This if done while still wet is safe .I can use these caps to set off Pyrodex or BP. This way ensures that you get almost no paper in your cap cup. They can be powerful too. The water does not reduce the caps power once dry.
n.hschmidt

aspangler
12-17-2017, 12:17 AM
What plans, where?

They don't carry them in Maryland. Most stores don't cary them or BP. I have to got to WVA or PA or order online.
They are available from 22lrreloader.com. Don't know the price but they have them. Get some priming mix at the same time.

AntiqueSledMan
12-23-2017, 08:23 AM
Archeryrob,

I don't have any plans, but I do have this.

AntiqueSledMan

wicket
12-26-2017, 06:46 PM
If you own a drill press it's fairly simple to fabricate a two stage die that will punch out four-leaf clover blanks from sheet copper and then push them through a second die which extrudes them into a cup shape.

waarp8nt
12-27-2017, 09:10 PM
I kinda cheat....wait til BP season is over then keep eye on wally world clearance. Every year I roadtrip to several stores and buy all the CCI caps on clearance

I have done the same thing over the years. My local store sells out fairly quick, but the next town over must not have any shooters, they always have some caps left over after season.