PDA

View Full Version : Lee 309-180gr and Lyman top punch

clicboumboum
12-13-2017, 04:36 AM
Hello from Belgium,

First, sorry for my English...

For my first thread I have a question about the compatibility with the Lee 309-180gr and Lyman top punch for lube and resize with my RCBS LAMII

Last week I have cast some bullets and when I lube and resize (.310) with a Lyman 467 top punch I have somme mark on the nose of my bullets

Which top punch do I need ?

almostgone
12-13-2017, 05:17 AM
Hello to Belgium! According to castpics chart #467 is the correct top punch. Other than appearance I haven't run into any accuracy problems. You might check the nose of boolit to see if you've bumped (enlarged) it which could cause problems. There are others who are more knowledable that could add more. Really enjoyed your country when I was there!

Grmps
12-13-2017, 05:34 AM
Welcome to CB reloading forum clicboumboum

The easiest solution that many others and I have found is to make our own tip with hot glue.
(If you have it there) clean the top punch with solvent and dry,
lightly lube the tip of the boolit (cast lead projectile)
apply hot glue to the tip if the top punch then push the boolit into the hot glue before it cools.
After the glue is cool use a sharp knife to carve the glue to match the diameter of the punch.

This can also be done with epoxy

clicboumboum
12-13-2017, 08:11 AM
Hello to Belgium! According to castpics chart #467 is the correct top punch. Other than appearance I haven't run into any accuracy problems. You might check the nose of boolit to see if you've bumped (enlarged) it which could cause problems. There are others who are more knowledable that could add more. Really enjoyed your country when I was there!

Thanks ;)

Welcome to CB reloading forum clicboumboum

The easiest solution that many others and I have found is to make our own tip with hot glue.
(If you have it there) clean the top punch with solvent and dry,
lightly lube the tip of the boolit (cast lead projectile)
apply hot glue to the tip if the top punch then push the boolit into the hot glue before it cools.
After the glue is cool use a sharp knife to carve the glue to match the diameter of the punch.

This can also be done with epoxy

Yes. I think I have no choice.
I have made the same process with a old top punch for an old RCBS mold 38 WC 140gr with JB Weld. It works very well.

Thanks