PDA

View Full Version : Biehler and Astles swaging die instructions

scrapcan
08-20-2008, 10:34 AM
I got these instructions in a purchase of a lot of reloading tools and thought I would pass along the scanned copy. I scanned it to a pdf and will try to post here. If it doesn't work I will figure out a way to get it to those interested.

edit: file is bigger than the limit. Anyone have any ideas on how we can get it up here for those interesed. It is about 1.3 Mb when trying to upload, the file is .93Mb.

dardascastbullets
08-20-2008, 10:51 AM
I got these instructions in a purchase of a lot of reloading tools and thought I would pass along the scanned copy. I scanned it to a pdf and will try to post here. If it doesn't work I will figure out a way to get it to those interested.

edit: file is bigger than the limit. Anyone have any ideas on how we can get it up here for those interesed. It is about 1.3 Mb when trying to upload, the file is .93Mb.

You do indeed have a bit of history in your hands! I too had a set of Biehler & Asteles swaging dies in .30. The dies made a very accurate flat base bullet (from 130 grains up to 220 grains). I made flat base in 175 grain which I was able to shoot winning scores at 200 to 300 yards. I used J4 jackets and lanolin for the die lube. The dies are probably 1960's era and hopefully have been taken very good care of.

Good luck!

Matt

scrapcan
08-20-2008, 10:59 AM
Matt,

I have been trying to find out where the dies are as all I came away with are the instructions. I truely want the dies if they are anywhere to be found. I have not had much luck finding used swaging stuff in this area, but I have the isntructions!

Jeremy

dardascastbullets
08-25-2008, 07:35 PM
Matt,

I have been trying to find out where the dies are as all I came away with are the instructions. I truely want the dies if they are anywhere to be found. I have not had much luck finding used swaging stuff in this area, but I have the isntructions!

Jeremy

Do I understand you in that you are asking where you can find a set (you haven't mentioned caliber)? If so, you will be better served by placing a blurb in this section and see what your net will catch!

Good luck!

Matt

TAWILDCATT
10-31-2008, 04:45 PM
make two or three post with the instructions.IE 2/3 stages.

scrapcan
10-31-2008, 05:15 PM
TAWILDCATT,

I need to split the pdf down into individual pages or rescan into single pages. I have not taken the time to do that yet but now that there maybe some interest I will see if I can get them split.

scrapcan
11-03-2008, 11:12 AM
Sorry guys I have tried every way I know how to split this pdf document to get the size down and if I leave it as a pdf each page will still exceed the file size limit set by the forum for pdf documents. I will continue to try and get a document that I can place here for your use. If I cannot do that I will try to put it up at a different web address and give that address via pm. Stay tuned.

pelallito
03-15-2009, 03:53 PM
Hello,
Sent email with question.
Thanks,
Fred

pelallito
03-16-2009, 08:13 PM
Manleyjt,
Thanks for the reply and offer. I did send a message to Pressman as you suggested.
Regards,
Fred

scrapcan
04-03-2009, 11:33 AM
hopefully the scans will come through as jpg images, they are attached below

scrapcan
04-03-2009, 11:52 AM
there is a page 8 that shows internal dimensions of common jackets available at the time, but it will not scan to a usable form using the file upload size limitations. Page 8 is not necessary to understand the die operation.

Lead pot
04-03-2009, 12:31 PM
The Hemp swage dies I had used a ejection tool identical to what you see there.

trevj
04-03-2009, 12:35 PM
That's pretty handy info there! Thanks!

Cheers
Trev

pelallito
04-07-2009, 07:05 PM
Thanks for posting these pages. Since Pressman and yourself had both, kindly, sent me the pages, I had not realized that you also posted here.
I need to buy jackets and lead to try them out.
Thanks again.
Fred

scrapcan
04-08-2009, 12:18 AM
Fred what caliber do you have for the dies? One of us may be able to help you with cores or wire. Jackets I cannot help you with.