PDA

View Full Version : 3" sp101 in 327 is back

downwind
12-11-2017, 01:56 PM
Ruger once again is producing the 3" sp101 in 327

This run has a fixed rear sight instead of a thin blade adjustable one

That should bring th prices down on Gunbroker!

Go get em boys

dragon813gt
12-11-2017, 02:12 PM
It's still going to have the worse trigger of any revolver. I own one and the trigger is horrendous even after lots of dry firing. Hopefully their QC is actually existent because mine had to be sent back to be "finished". Should have never left the factory. I like the round and like Ruger but this particular gun was a let down all around.

downwind
12-11-2017, 04:50 PM
Check the bore for the trigger return spring

Mine had curls of metal in there!

Once removed and polished along with some Wolff springs it's very nice

9.3X62AL
12-11-2017, 06:24 PM
I am about 400 rounds deep in my SP-101 x 4.2" in 327 Federal. The trigger has progressed a bit--from "abomination/1895 Nagant" level to "atrocious/barely tolerable". I haven't ordered much lately that is hobby-related, and keep putting off the Wolff spring kit that is sorely needed to rehab this otherwise delightful varmint whacker.

LUCKYDAWG13
12-11-2017, 07:39 PM
Check the bore for the trigger return spring

Mine had curls of metal in there!

Once removed and polished along with some Wolff springs it's very nice

I did the same and yes very nice now https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cA9Q_j3KLXg

P Flados
12-11-2017, 07:41 PM
The nice thing about the SP-101 is that wolff sells a kit with a trigger return spring and several hammer springs.

The trigger return spring alone made a great improvement in my gun.

I have gone back and forth with hammer springs. First I went down, and loved it when I was only using regular small pistol primers.

Later I went back up when I was trying to get reliable igntion from rifle primers. Did not even notice the increase in effort with this change as the gun had smoothed out so much.

rintinglen
12-12-2017, 12:26 PM
A set of wolff springs, a little polishing while you have it apart, and a set of trigger and hammer shims go a long way towards making your SP101 smoother and lighter. It will be $30.00 and two hours well spent.

https://www.triggershims.com/ruger_double_action.html

Thundarstick
12-15-2017, 06:57 PM
Just a note to one's who may not be aware. Factory 327 ammo uses small rifle primers that have to be hit harder than the small pistol magnum primers. If you drop the main spring very much, you'll start getting misfires, been there, done that! Dropping the trigger return spring will help drop the overall pull weight with out dropping the striking force of the hammer. Same with the rim fire double actions.

stubshaft
12-15-2017, 07:31 PM
+1 on the hammer and trigger shims. I've used them in all 12 of my Ruger revolvers and have seen a marked improvement.

9.3X62AL
12-16-2017, 01:22 PM
Just a note to one's who may not be aware. Factory 327 ammo uses small rifle primers that have to be hit harder than the small pistol magnum primers. If you drop the main spring very much, you'll start getting misfires, been there, done that! Dropping the trigger return spring will help drop the overall pull weight with out dropping the striking force of the hammer. Same with the rim fire double actions.

Yeah, I have this in the back of my mind--given that factory loads can churn up pressures in the 46K PSI ballpark. I don't run most of my 32 H&R Magnum ammo at full strength, most of it uses the RCBS 32-98-SWC at 900-1000 FPS, and the rest uses Lyman #313631 at about 1250 FPS. CCI 500 primers have sufficed for those 32 H&R loadings, and my 327 Federal load levels will follow suit. When I want to set off earthquakes in fault zones with report intensity, I have a Ruger Blackhawk in 30 Carbine that sends 115-120 grain-class castings into the 1500 FPS ZIP Code quite happily. Remington #6-1/2 primers get the call in these loads.