PDA

View Full Version : Roasting Maui Moka Coffee Beans

DougGuy
12-10-2017, 04:15 PM
My cousin goes to Hawaii every year they have a timeshare on Maui, and he was kind enough to send me some green Maui Moka coffee beans. Roasting them to a Full City dark roast and grinding them into espresso, pulling a triple shot from a vintage La Pavoni lever espresso machine will put a coffee lover right on over the top!! Delicious!

Short video of them finishing up in my home brew roaster built into Craigslist find Sunbeam gas grill..

http://www.youtu.be/watch?v=mh1NhwIDMq0

lylejb
12-11-2017, 12:24 AM
Sounds wonderful. I used to home roast, but in a much smaller scale. A modified not air popcorn popper. Most people don't realize what fresh is until you roast it yourself. Nothing like it.
Nice setup on the drum roaster, how much can you roast at a time?

GhostHawk
12-11-2017, 09:09 AM
I have some green beans stashed against a coffee less future. Shelf life is much much longer.

I did a couple of small batch's just so I would know what I was getting into.

What I liked the best was a wok style pan over a gas stove and constant stir. Keep the beans cycling into the center hot spot and out again.

Also bought one of those popcorn poppers that goes on your stove with the agitator in the handle you turn. That worked very well but it was harder to see exact shade of color on the beans. And in the meantime it makes great popcorn. :)

farmerjim
12-11-2017, 10:56 AM
When I worked in Montreal, the office below mine was a coffee importer. It was an old building, and we kept the windows open except in the winter. The importer had a roster to test the beans that exhausted just below my window. What a wonderful aroma. He would give us some roasted beans when we asked. Other than that, It has been nothing but Community Dark Roast for me. I am drinking a cup of it now.

DougGuy
12-11-2017, 11:35 AM
Nice setup on the drum roaster, how much can you roast at a time?

Thanks! This drum will do 5lbs easily enough but I am finding the ramp times are better with 2 1/2 to 3 lb batches.

Santa Lee
12-11-2017, 02:20 PM
My cousin goes to Hawaii every year they have a timeshare on Maui, and he was kind enough to send me some green Maui Moka coffee beans. Roasting them to a Full City dark roast and grinding them into espresso, pulling a triple shot from a vintage La Pavoni lever espresso machine will put a coffee lover right on over the top!! Delicious!

Short video of them finishing up in my home brew roaster built into Craigslist find Sunbeam gas grill..

http://www.youtu.be/watch?v=mh1NhwIDMq0

Ohhh, send the aroma this way!