PDA

View Full Version : Christmas Present for a Want-To-Be reloader?

DonMountain
12-09-2017, 07:15 PM
Well, my wife asked me to recommend a gift she could purchase for our 20 year old grandchild that lives with us while he is attending his second year of college at a university in town. He came with a few firearms that his father bought for him in high school, which includes rifles in 243, 30-06, 22 long rifle, 7.62x54R (Russian) and shotguns in 12 gauge and 410. He recently purchased a Lee Breech Lock Reloader Single Stage Press from a local gun shop, but nothing else. Unfortunately he is one of those hard headed individuals that won't take any advice from me. If I try to start any conversations with him about shooting or reloading he just won't talk or he just answers with a one word answer. So, I am not on a conversational level with him yet. Hence, all of my recommendations have to go through my wife. The first thing I recommended to my wife was a reloading manual, and after looking at several we decided to order a Lyman 50th Reloading Manual since it was the most general and not designed around one make of bullets. So, my question is, what would be other recommendations for this new to be reloader?

Minerat
12-09-2017, 07:23 PM
A good powder scale.

sawinredneck
12-09-2017, 07:31 PM
A good powder scale.
///// THIS!!! Maybe you can get buy with the Lee dippers, maybe not, but I don’t like reloading with unknown quantities of powder!
Next would be a pair of calipers, then dies.

Trophy Tom
12-09-2017, 07:35 PM
A kinetic bullet puller.
He is a newbee[emoji3]
Nothing like unwinding a mistake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OS OK
12-09-2017, 07:36 PM
Well, my wife asked me to recommend a gift she could purchase for our 20 year old grandchild that lives with us while he is attending his second year of college at a university in town. He came with a few firearms that his father bought for him in high school, which includes rifles in 243, 30-06, 22 long rifle, 7.62x54R (Russian) and shotguns in 12 gauge and 410. He recently purchased a Lee Breech Lock Reloader Single Stage Press from a local gun shop, but nothing else. Unfortunately he is one of those hard headed individuals that won't take any advice from me. If I try to start any conversations with him about shooting or reloading he just won't talk or he just answers with a one word answer. So, I am not on a conversational level with him yet. Hence, all of my recommendations have to go through my wife. The first thing I recommended to my wife was a reloading manual, and after looking at several we decided to order a Lyman 50th Reloading Manual since it was the most general and not designed around one make of bullets. So, my question is, what would be other recommendations for this new to be reloader?

I wouldn't bother with him until he learned to communicate and had some civility towards the man who provides the roof over his head.

Can't take advise...won't communicate...he's got a problem and doesn't sound like reloader material!

dragon813gt
12-09-2017, 07:57 PM
I would not get him anything. If he won't engage in a discussion about reloading I would not want to be held liable in any future lawsuits if he blows up a gun. Call me a pessimist if you want. But there is no reason to ever be hard headed when it comes to reloading. Let him go at it alone since that's apparently what he wants to do.

sawinredneck
12-09-2017, 08:00 PM
I wouldn't bother with him until he learned to communicate and had some civility towards the man who provides the roof over his head.

Can't take advise...won't communicate...he's got a problem and doesn't sound like reloader material!

I can’t much argue with that logic.

Epd230
12-09-2017, 09:07 PM
Get him the reloading manual. If he will not invest the time and effort in reading it, then he should not be reloading at all.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Walter Laich
12-09-2017, 09:50 PM

There have been some guys I chose not to help for a number of reasons. This person has bigger problems than learning how to cast bullets

You could get him 10 pounds of 'maturity' but I don't think they sell that in any of the stores

merlin101
12-09-2017, 10:20 PM
Grandson or not I wouldn't buy him anything until he show at least a little respect.

Jack Stanley
12-09-2017, 11:01 PM
It sounds like he has problems a reloading manual isn't likely to fix . Perhaps if he knows you suggested it he might come around . Good on ya for trying .

Jack

JimB..
12-10-2017, 12:12 AM
A manual is great, a scale is great, maybe some primer pickup tubes. Maybe a gift card for reloading stuff from one of the online retailers?

Not knowing any of the history I won’t rush to judge his behavior, but will say that having a common hobby can only help.

wl620
12-10-2017, 01:12 AM
What a shame I got to spent a good portion of my life with my grandad he taught me everything I know about reloading and most everything gun related I cant set down at my loading or casting bench without thinking about him. He's been gone a few years now and I sure miss him and his 60 years of reloading/whatever else expierence that I could draw on at anytime. I was fortunate to have him as a mentor/ father figure. and when I get to missing him I have a few of his guns I can go out and put some cast boolits that he taught me how to make through them and I feel a little better.

Omega
12-10-2017, 01:21 AM
A good starting point for a beginner is a Lee Anniversary Reloader Kit (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00162RM3E/ref=asc_df_B00162RM3E5296783/?tag=hyprod-20&creative=394997&creativeASIN=B00162RM3E&linkCode=df0&hvadid=198072604275&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=4532142998499987300&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=t&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9013097&hvtargid=pla-385435111188), but I agree with the others in reference to an attitude adjustment before any gifts are offered, specially under your own roof.

john.k
12-10-2017, 02:11 AM
I would bet the kid is under a lot of pressure from the antigun,green element at that institution.They have not subtle ways of letting anyone with guns know how much they are hated by the liberal social change feminist element.

JBinMN
12-10-2017, 02:57 AM
Maybe...

He doesn't want to reload...

Maybe....

he bought the press as a gift for his grandfather & does not want to talk about it to spoil a surprise?

I think I would not do anything more & wait to see what "he" decides he wants to do... "You can lead a horse to water, but ya can't make him drink.", then again... maybe he ain't thirsty anyway. Meaning maybe he doesn't want to reload, but he does want to make his Gramps happy in another way, his "own" way...
;)

Just a guess & maybe it is no help, but I tried to give a different perspective.

I wish ya G'Luck! regardless of how things work out.
:)

OS OK
12-10-2017, 08:58 AM
Yeah JB, I suppose 'if' your 'iffin this and that' trying to find some reason for the kid's behavior...well, it could be anything.
The thing is that the OP has to get the kid talking first...

God only knows what kids are faced with their peers in college these days, it certainly ain't like the days when I grew up when all we had to worry about is some dang 'Hippie' and 'Peace, Love , Dove mantra' they used to spew...life was much simpler in those days, it seemed.
But the corruption in Government and Society was there...I was just 'blisfully ignorant' of it at his age...now it's all in his face.

Well...the truth won't hurt him, only make him tougher, that is AFTER he learns to communicate with his GramPa.,

GhostHawk
12-10-2017, 09:16 AM
I suspect he is intimidated. And there is a good chance that you scare the living daylights out of him.

Your going to have to feel your way as far as the conversation is concerned.

I agree with the scale. Good choice and a much needed tool.

Take your time. Remember from his viewpoint you have seen everything since God made Dirt.
You have done it all and forgotten more than he knows. So just relax. Show him that you don't bite.

Maybe a range day outting?

claude
12-10-2017, 09:32 AM
If I try to start any conversations with him about shooting or reloading he just won't talk or he just answers with a one word answer. So, I am not on a conversational level with him yet.

I don't know either one of you, but I have a question for you. Are you packing that rejection around with you and letting it get in your way? It's a rhetorical question, the answer is none of my business, but it is yours.

lightman
12-10-2017, 09:32 AM
What a shame I got to spent a good portion of my life with my grandad he taught me everything I know about reloading and most everything gun related I cant set down at my loading or casting bench without thinking about him. He's been gone a few years now and I sure miss him and his 60 years of reloading/whatever else expierence that I could draw on at anytime. I was fortunate to have him as a mentor/ father figure. and when I get to missing him I have a few of his guns I can go out and put some cast boolits that he taught me how to make through them and I feel a little better.

This sounds like me! I only have fond memories of my Grandfather and he set the standard that I hope to follow now that I am a Grandfather.

DonMountain, You are in a tough situation. I hope that whatever the boys problem (problems) are that he will eventually come around. You can meet this hardheadedness with more hardheadedness or you can meet it with love and understanding. Its up to you how you handle it and I won't offer an opinion. But back to your question, I suggest a good manual or two. Lyman would be my first choice. Lee also seems to be a favorite on most of the other forums that I visit. My thinking is that he can't get into much trouble reloading until he gets more equipment and as a student, maybe he will read the books first. Good Luck with this, its a tough situation.

Shawlerbrook
12-10-2017, 09:50 AM
Since it seems like he listens to grandma, I would have her sit him down and find out what the burr is under his saddle. For whatever reason, the boy doesn’t appreciate the good things he has. Don’t give up and don’t get mad.

country gent
12-10-2017, 10:13 AM
I believe I would buy him a gift certificate to one of the better mail order supply shops. Midways, grafs, Mid South, titan or such. This way he can pick what he wants and make the informed decisson.
As to attitude lead by example this sometimes takes time but most usually come around. Be there when he asks questions and needs advice, don't be judgemental of him. Always remember most go thru several stages with older people. They are the best, their okay, Older people don't know anything or have forgotten it, and They are smarter than I thought. Give him some support and time to come around

JSnover
12-10-2017, 10:43 AM
Since it seems like he listens to grandma, I would have her sit him down and find out what the burr is under his saddle. For whatever reason, the boy doesn’t appreciate the good things he has. Don’t give up and don’t get mad.
That!
We're a bunch of strangers making (more or less) educated guesses, his grandma knows him better than we do and might be able to 'crack' him.

mold maker
12-10-2017, 11:52 AM
Manuels can give him knowledge and bolster his ability to use the equipment when the time comes. He is under immense pressure at school from the libs and at a time he is trying desperately to fit in, gun related subjects are met only with contempt.
As long as he knows that you are willing to help, the next move is up to him. Just be understanding and bide your time, after all not all shooters are reloaders and not all reloaders are casters. When the time cimes only he can make those decissions.

Walter Laich
12-10-2017, 01:05 PM
DonMountain,

If/when this resolves itself hope you can share the outcome

A lotta folks trying their best to help out

DonMountain
12-10-2017, 03:41 PM
I thank all of you a lot for your collective wisdom you have given me so far. This whole process so far, with him going out and purchasing a reloading press with the intention of coming home and starting to reload something, was just kind of a blow to me psycologically. Since I have a reloading room all set up with several reloading presses, 30 or 40 die sets, a good reloading scale (RCBS 10-10), and all of the other stuff in multiples required to reload and trim and set primers and measure powder and measure this and that. And I would gladly loan him anything he needs or if he wants to use my whole room and presses as they are mounted with all the dies correctly adjusted already. So, my conclusion is that I need to open a discussion with him about this possibility, with my wife sitting in to listen and "control" the situation.

Wayne Smith
12-10-2017, 04:25 PM
Does He know he is welcome in your reloading room? I'd be very chary of going there unless I had a specific invitation unless I grew up loading in that room.

pwc
12-10-2017, 05:28 PM
Jim B is correct; I would get him the reloading manual and hold off giving it to him 'til the day after Christmas....to see the intent of his purchasing the press. He may be offering an olive branch, he may not.

For what ever reason he won't talk to you; that is outside of the hobby and you will have to work on that. Maybe invite him to your reloading session... if he comes let him talk, don't judge or feel that you must justify yourself. To do so will just cause him to clam up. He feels he has legitimate reasons for feeling the way he does which is manifested in his actions. You feel you have legitimate reasons for feeling the way you do. Somewhere between what you both perceive is the problem, is the problem to be worked on.

Ask me how I know, I am the black sheep of my family; like me, if your grandson is that old, and you love your family, you don't have the luxury of time to prolong this.

Walter Laich
12-11-2017, 03:21 PM
FWIW: I like to have my own equipment. Something about owning it vs. borrowing someone else's means I have access to it anytime I wish, leave it configured as I want and don't have to ask permission.

Will I use other's stuff? sure but I still enjoy the ownership factor

DonMountain
12-11-2017, 05:24 PM
FWIW: I like to have my own equipment. Something about owning it vs. borrowing someone else's means I have access to it anytime I wish, leave it configured as I want and don't have to ask permission.

Will I use other's stuff? sure but I still enjoy the ownership factor

The grandchild is very much this way. Although he doesn't seem to have a problem going into the shop and "borrowing" tools. But he likes to leave them outside in the back of his truck instead of putting them back away. My wife came up with another request after I used a couple of the threads on here to make up a "Required Reloading Equipment List" to comfortably reload cartridges. She was surprised at the length of the list and asked me to add prices for each of these items so she can pick a few out. I have already ordered the Lyman Reloading Manual #50 for her to give to him. But my problem is, I like to own well made and functional reloading equipment. But the reloading press that he purchased appears like he just wants the cheapest available. I would prefer to wait for a quality used piece off of one of the auction sites rather than go to the local, overpriced reloading shop and purchase the cheapest he has available.

Wayne Smith
12-12-2017, 10:19 AM
Yes, but then you are experienced and know from experience the difference between quality and poor quality. Let him use his cheap stuff for a while and then invite him in to use your quality equipment so he can gain your experience.

Silverboolit
12-12-2017, 11:45 AM
He has to be a shooter before he is a reloader. If you have a shooting range nearby, get him a yearly membership. Maybe he'll take out his fustrations there and be in a more shooting supportive climate. Especially after being in class all week. He will be exposed to a different class of people, many his age. May help 'crack' his shell.

OS OK
12-12-2017, 11:55 AM
Way too much speculation on what makes the kid 'tick' and what pressures he's dealing with.
You won't know until you sit one on one with him and somehow 'disarm his attitude' and start communicating first.

To let him fool around trying to figure it out on his own and then invite him to use good equipment may sound good on paper but it's the absolute wrong approach...this craft isn't to be taken lightly where one can make big mistakes without paying big penalties.

Communication without a female moderator is the first order of the day...might take 6 weeks but your going to have to earn that kids trust first, after that you'll be friends and that'll change everything.

mdi
12-12-2017, 12:56 PM
If you can't talk to him about reloading just get him a book and let him figger it out. I'd recommend a copy of The ABCs of Reloading. It will show him how to reload and what equipment he needs. I'd keep my distance but be there if he approaches you for help, info, etc. From your description, he needs to choose his own equipment and make his own mistakes. Any info suggestions from you that don't fit his idea of reloading or go wrong (?) he'll blame on you...

flashhole
12-12-2017, 09:58 PM
Get some reloading videos. Everyone likes to watch TV and it can stimulate conversation that might lead to a trip to the reloading room to demonstrate. If the lesson is not coming from you it might make a difference and start things off on a good note.

David2011
12-12-2017, 10:18 PM
I was another that had the privilege of spending time with my Grandfathers as a youngster, up to the age of about 16. They both taught me skills that I still use. I am forever grateful for the experience.

We had a young man here a few years ago that was quick to explain how his generation didn't need printed books. They had digital devices (just like every last one of us here) and got their information from the Internet. As I recall he didn't stick around very long because nobody would support his opinions. Your grandson made me think of him. If your wife is able to get some insight into his attitude issues, maybe the greatest gift to your grandson would be the experience of shooting and reloading alongside you. What better way to instill your values and attention to detail when it matters?

Good luck with him!
David

EDG
12-13-2017, 03:16 AM
Ask him if he wants to move out and work for his room and board while attending 4 years of college. He probably hates being dependent on you and the lack of control he has.
If he can't get a grip you may have to introduce him to life on his own.

Big Tom
12-17-2017, 08:19 AM
I would get him a manual, some brass, primers and a powder that can fill the complete case without over-charging. Maybe allowing him to use your dies and scale. But a good book about manners and how to behave as an adult may be a better long term investment ;-)

Hickory
12-17-2017, 08:49 AM
Loading manual would be the best gift.

A person should know what they are doing before they virtue into something dangerous.

DonMountain
12-19-2017, 04:31 PM
Ok, we received the Lyman #50 Loading Manual for the grandson, and I also made him two loading blocks to fit both his 243/30-06 cases and his 7.62x54R cases. That I could easily do on the Shopsmith since I already had the bits to bore flat bottomed holes and the setup spacers to put all 50 holes all lined up easily. So, with a little bit of saw work. And some router table work. And some sanding work. They are all done and included in his Christmas package. We decided not to purchase any other reloading equipment for him since he always wants to do it "his way". So we will let him. Like his work on the motorcycle he bought recently, I hope his favorite reloading tools don't follow his pattern using a pair of Vice-Grips, Ball Peen Hammer, and a Cold Chisel to do everything.

OS OK
12-19-2017, 05:04 PM
Don't forget a coat or three of satin Lacquer to top them off! Wanna keep those special blocks pretty...right?

lightman
12-19-2017, 07:34 PM
It sounds like you made some good choices. Hopefully the boy will "come around".

JBinMN
12-19-2017, 10:18 PM
Best wishes! that things work out for the best.
;)

DonMountain
12-21-2017, 11:44 PM
Well, I just discovered another problem. The grandchild went home to his parents for the Christmas holidays, and my wife went into "his" room to clean it up so the daughter could use the room when she visits home. On his "study" table that we provide, was a bunch of partially dismantled 12 gauge shotgun shells and 22 long rifle cartridges. Smokeless powder was everywhere. And it appears like he had opened a bunch of live shotgun shells and replaced the lead shot, and maybe the wad, with steel shot of some sort that look like ball bearings. And glued the hand crimped ends back together. Another one had lead 22 rifle bullets crammed in the shell casing and a plastic disk glued on the end to hold it all in place. Another one was filled with BB-Rifle shot from a container sitting there. And he recently bought with his school borrowed money a really cheap looking 12 gauge pump gun from a company I have never heard of. So, now what do I do with this?

WJP
12-22-2017, 12:59 AM
Some people got to learn the hard way unfortunately. Good luck and Merry Christmas.

Three44s
12-22-2017, 01:46 AM
Though sledding ahead I would say.

The grandson does not respect his grandfather’s tools, does not want to listen to his grand father in spite of his considerable experience in the matter at hand and does rough work on his possessions.

Hope the OP can work it out satisfactorily.

Three44s

JBinMN
12-22-2017, 02:28 AM
Well, I just discovered another problem. The grandchild went home to his parents for the Christmas holidays, and my wife went into "his" room to clean it up so the daughter could use the room when she visits home. On his "study" table that we provide, was a bunch of partially dismantled 12 gauge shotgun shells and 22 long rifle cartridges. Smokeless powder was everywhere. And it appears like he had opened a bunch of live shotgun shells and replaced the lead shot, and maybe the wad, with steel shot of some sort that look like ball bearings. And glued the hand crimped ends back together. Another one had lead 22 rifle bullets crammed in the shell casing and a plastic disk glued on the end to hold it all in place. Another one was filled with BB-Rifle shot from a container sitting there. And he recently bought with his school borrowed money a really cheap looking 12 gauge pump gun from a company I have never heard of. So, now what do I do with this?

I would be very concerned about this "discovery".

Is someone changing the 12ga loads from game loads to possible "people" loads for some reason?

I would be concerned about the whereabouts of the 12ga shotgun & any components(re-assembled shells) that may now be already in it that you don't know about right now, as well... You may have discovered what was left of the ones that were not considered worth saving, or were "experimental" ones & there are others that are already put together & in the magazine of that 12ga shotgun.

What reason would your grandchild have, to be doing such things? What is/was the intended use of such modified shells? Modifying shotshells to carry a larger shot size than what is in them originally, is not usually done, even if done in an amateurish way, unless there is a reason & a particular target in mind.

From what you are describing, I am now thinking you have more of an issue/issues with your grandchild than just not wanting to learn reloading from grandpa for some reason.

At minimum, "I" would be talking to his parents about your "discovery". And perhaps higher authorities like LEO. Something just isn't right from what you are describing, and it would be a pity to read about something that happened when it could have been stopped ahead of time.

G'Luck! with whatever ya decide to do...

OS OK
12-22-2017, 01:06 PM
What reason would your grandchild have, to be doing such things?

JB...he's prolly getting it here or another site like this Morons U-Tube collection...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzfzHg7Ilx0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnzKSYWK29o

This kid thinks he's smarter and 'sneakier' than the old folks in this home....Don says,"So, now what do I do with this?"

The answer is right there in your face, unless of course you want to molly coddle him as many here are suggesting...
What do you do?
You grab him by the stack and swivel and pin his ears back...When you think you've got his undivided attention,
THAT'S WHEN YOU LET HIM KNOW EXACTLY HOW THE COW EATS THE CABBAGE!

Translate that any way you see fit but keep your video camera handy so you can film the night when that half baked kid burns the house down.

nh7792
12-22-2017, 01:23 PM
Possibly a gift card to cabelas? (Or whatever sporting store is close) If he is interested in reloading, the manual will help a lot, and a gift card may be easier for both so the kid can decide what extras he may need, and if he isn't really into reloading then he can use it for something else.
Best you can do with some kids nowadays, is offer your assistance by letting them know you can be there to help or answer any questions then let them go about their business.

JimB..
12-22-2017, 01:23 PM
Box up all his stuff, tell his parent(s) to come get it, that you’re sorry but it isn’t your place to deal with whatever demons he has.

DonMountain
12-23-2017, 01:35 PM
JB...he's prolly getting it here or another site like this Morons U-Tube collection...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzfzHg7Ilx0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnzKSYWK29o

This kid thinks he's smarter and 'sneakier' than the old folks in this home....Don says,"So, now what do I do with this?"

I looked at the videos presented above and think this is exactly what he is doing. He is generally pretty respectful of his grandmother and I. And will do anything he is asked to do around the farm. But it seems like he won't help unless asked. But he will do something if asked. Its just that anything he does comes from information on the NET and has to be done "his way". But, I guess information coming from the "elderly and less educated" is too old fashion when everything he wants to know is available on his LapTop computer or I-phone. He doesn't want to cross the hallway and look through my huge collection of reloading manuals right inside the "Library" door. Maybe its because a lot of those manuals are dated from the 1960's and 1970's. And anything from 25 years before he was born is ancient history. It has to be on the Internet or it isn't true anymore.

JBinMN
12-23-2017, 01:57 PM
I hope you are right, DonMountain.

Like I said, G'Luck!"

Walter Laich
12-23-2017, 02:15 PM
I know when I was a kid, and Harding was president, I was known to do 'stuff' like that. One of our more successful creations was a marble 'cannon,' section of pipe with a hole drilled in a cap. Put a firecracker fuse through the hole screw it on and drop a marble down the front

was very satisfying to see it make it about 75 yards and plop into the creek. These days I would 'have some 'plaining to do"

Kids are curious and plan to live forever so they really don't appreciate the dangers.

JBinMN
12-23-2017, 02:38 PM
Whoah Walter! You must be pushing 100! Congrats!

My mother is 94 this year & she was born the year after Harding died while he was the President in the 1923.

I like to hear the stories of older times. Grew up with them.

Thanks!

Sorry for the sidetrack... I was just amazed to find out how old Walter was...

flashhole
12-23-2017, 03:37 PM
Dirt, he's older than dirt.

Walter Laich
12-23-2017, 04:29 PM
Whoah Walter! You must be pushing 100! Congrats!

My mother is 94 this year & she was born the year after Harding died while he was the President in the 1923.

I like to hear the stories of older times. Grew up with them.

Thanks!

Sorry for the sidetrack... I was just amazed to find out how old Walter was...

Sorry for the misinformation--I tend to exaggerate at times' 'only' 71, in the prime of my old age.

flashhole
12-23-2017, 04:36 PM
So you still have a few years to catch up to dirt.

DonMountain
12-23-2017, 05:20 PM
I know when I was a kid, and Harding was president, I was known to do 'stuff' like that. One of our more successful creations was a marble 'cannon,' section of pipe with a hole drilled in a cap. Put a firecracker fuse through the hole screw it on and drop a marble down the front

was very satisfying to see it make it about 75 yards and plop into the creek. These days I would 'have some 'plaining to do"

Kids are curious and plan to live forever so they really don't appreciate the dangers.

I was just out in the barn where my shooting bench is for the 130 yard target, and discovered some of his 12 gauge shells with the ends cut off just like the ones loaded in the house. So he has been shooting some of his creations. And hasn't blown up his shotgun yet. The shell was from a 1-1/4 ounce high brass shell with the crimped end cut off. And as I remember back to my childhood, I never did anything dangerous like this. But I do remember my father telling me I would never live past 30 the way I was going. Maybe it was that ticket I got for doing 125 miles an hour on my motorcycle? And I am not nearly as old as Walter either. My mother is only 92 and gave us her old SUV a few months ago and bought a brand new one. To better pull her Bass Boat with.

Alan in Vermont
12-23-2017, 05:38 PM
Box up all his stuff, tell his parent(s) to come get it, that you’re sorry but it isn’t your place to deal with whatever demons he has.

I have to give a big "Me too!" to what JimB offered.

Having had to deal with a numb as a post step-grandson who chose to counter anything I tried to get close to him with with silence I can appreciate the situation. His stock reply to anything I asked him about was "Whatever". No interest in anything but his electronic toys. Hung around with other brain-dead individuals like himself. I finally wrote him off as a lost cause when he walked by me, when I was visiting, and never acknowledged my presence.

lightman
12-23-2017, 06:13 PM
You are facing a difficult situation here. I wish you luck in whatever way you choose.

OS OK
12-23-2017, 10:10 PM
I looked at the videos presented above and think this is exactly what he is doing....It has to be on the Internet or it isn't true anymore.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5nKgho2Ue8 ...< The Overloaded Shotgun... ... Well, this is on the internet, perhaps you can show him this and he'll believe it...might save his foolish little life !

flashhole
12-23-2017, 10:28 PM
That guy in the video is headed for trouble and he deserves it.

JBinMN
12-23-2017, 10:33 PM
Charlie,
I just have to turn dipwad stuff like that video off. Can't watch it. Wastes my time & time is short.

You are likely right about someone wanting to try this stuff out in this case. DonMountain basically said the kid was "testing".

For the sake of any involved, I hope that it stops/gets stopped. There is already enough "Darwin Award" BS that goes on.

I am gonna unsubscribe from this topic. Unless I receive a reply directed at me, I am not going to post here again.

This is ridiculous in my mind. As a grandpa( Pappy) myself, if I were to find out that any one of my grandkids were pulling this BS off, there would be some hell to pay.

YMMV.

I am done here.

G'Luck!
I wish ya the best!

DonMountain
12-24-2017, 12:48 AM
There is already enough "Darwin Award" BS that goes on.

I do believe Darwin predicted the outcome of this situation.
Thanks everybody for all of your help in this matter.
Don

Walter Laich
01-18-2018, 03:47 PM
Don,

anything to report since Christmas has come and gone?

DonMountain
01-18-2018, 05:03 PM
Don,

anything to report since Christmas has come and gone?

Yes! We gave the boy a Lyman 50th Edition Reloading Manual and he left his computer in the TV room and sat up in his bedroom and read the whole thing. And a couple of weeks ago some friends that I shoot with came over for supper and we all went out on a beautiful day and did some trap shooting and firing a 9mm handgun. The boy stayed off to the side when we started with the handgun and just watched, not saying anything. Until I called him over and told him it was his turn to shoot. And it appeared like he enjoyed himself. Then we went out to trapshoot and he ran into the house and brought out his cheap pump action shotgun that he was shooting the experimental shells off with. And we all took turns shooting for a couple of hours. He shoots trap very well and was on the highschool trap team for 2 or 3 years. And he recognized all the shells we were using were ones he had picked up for me at "his" trap club years ago and I had reloaded on my antique Pacific Shot Shell Reloader. And he talked freely about shooting and all. And now all of this "experimental" shotgun shell stuff is gone off his library table in his room. And he even came out and cleaned up all the trash he had been throwing at our shooting range. So, he must be having a change of heart, or he read some important information in that reloading manual we gave him. Or he appreciated the two, hand made reloading blocks I gave him. So, should I start lending him some of my reloading tools? Like that "extra" antique Pacific powder scale I just bought on eBay? Some extra reloading dies I don't have guns for anymore?

JimB..
01-18-2018, 05:52 PM
Yes! We gave the boy a Lyman 50th Edition Reloading Manual and he left his computer in the TV room and sat up in his bedroom and read the whole thing. And a couple of weeks ago some friends that I shoot with came over for supper and we all went out on a beautiful day and did some trap shooting and firing a 9mm handgun. The boy stayed off to the side when we started with the handgun and just watched, not saying anything. Until I called him over and told him it was his turn to shoot. And it appeared like he enjoyed himself. Then we went out to trapshoot and he ran into the house and brought out his cheap pump action shotgun that he was shooting the experimental shells off with. And we all took turns shooting for a couple of hours. He shoots trap very well and was on the highschool trap team for 2 or 3 years. And he recognized all the shells we were using were ones he had picked up for me at "his" trap club years ago and I had reloaded on my antique Pacific Shot Shell Reloader. And he talked freely about shooting and all. And now all of this "experimental" shotgun shell stuff is gone off his library table in his room. And he even came out and cleaned up all the trash he had been throwing at our shooting range. So, he must be having a change of heart, or he read some important information in that reloading manual we gave him. Or he appreciated the two, hand made reloading blocks I gave him. So, should I start lending him some of my reloading tools? Like that "extra" antique Pacific powder scale I just bought on eBay? Some extra reloading dies I don't have guns for anymore?

Wow, that is shockingly great news! Congrats for whatever you’ve done to get him back on track.

lightman
01-19-2018, 10:23 AM
Thats really Great news! It sounded like you were going to have a challenge there at the beginning. It looks like the exposure to your friends was good for the boy. I would still probably ease into this slowly and take my cues from the boys behavior and actions. Its good on you for doing this, it can't be easy.

Walter Laich
01-19-2018, 11:40 AM
I've seen similar things happen to young folks

we had a goodly number of high school students in our VFD. If we had a major fire we could get them out of class

most if not all stepped up when given responsibilities and treated as equals as they now had a meaningful purpose in life

I know this isn't an exact example of what you went through but something similar could have taken place

Wayne Smith
01-19-2018, 11:52 AM
I wouldn't give him anything at this point he won't immediately use. We have a tendency to hoard, and I'd want to not start that at this point!