View Full Version : How did I do ??

Johnch
08-19-2008, 11:50 PM
I needed to pick up a shell holder that I order

So tonight I stoped into the local gunshop and had to wait , so I looked around

Nothing jumped out at me

But when I got to the counter
I made the mistake of asking what was new

The owner pulled out a brand new Blue 5.5" Ruger Blackhawlk 45 Colt / 45 ACP convertable
Come to find out someone put a few $ down to order it and has not come back in 30+ days and will not answer the phone

So The owner wants to unload the pistol
He offers it to me at COST + a few dollars for the shipping
Even shows me the invioce

$404.99 + tax

I had been thinking of a new pistol and this is one that was on my list
So I guess I got lucky

I have seen then going for that much or more used

John

Heavy lead
08-19-2008, 11:54 PM
Done right good. Good price and a good gun. I have one myself about a 75 vintage I bought used with a 4 5/8" barrel that's a convertable. I think you'll like it. I sure like mine.

missionary5155
08-20-2008, 08:15 AM
Price is not everything... Do you LIKE it and is it usable.... I have bought a couple items for a premium price that you cannot buy for double the dollar...

MT Gianni
08-20-2008, 08:43 AM
I like mine in 4 5/8". My throats were set up perfectly in the 45acp and varied by 0.004" in the Colt cylinder. A reamer fixed that and now both shoot great. Gianni.

timkelley
08-20-2008, 09:35 AM
You did good, I really like mine>

9.3X62AL
08-20-2008, 10:05 AM
That's a real good price--and on something you already had designs on. That's called a "BUY" in my world.

I would just do a throat check and groove slugging to make sure all is well dimensionally and to know where to start with boolits. Ruger has had strange ideas about throat/barrel relationships in the past, so don't be surprised if some heresy rears its head. My BisHawk x 45 Colt was heretical from the factory--throats at .448"-.449", groove @ .452". After opening the throats to .453", I use .454" boolits with VERY NICE results now.

NickSS
08-20-2008, 10:21 AM
I got a blackhawk 5.5 inch in 45 colt that I love. Its my walking around the woods handgun and it has served well in that use. I have even made birdshot loads for it for snakes that I occationally run into when picture taking in eastern washington.

Johnch
08-20-2008, 09:14 PM
Have to check the Throats

But I also have to find a nice set of grips
As Ruger now ships them with black plastic press checkered grips

IMO they suck
But that is a easy fix

As I wamted one of these anyway
It was a no brainer

John

beagle
08-21-2008, 10:01 PM
Damn good score. Try the Butler Creek grips.

One of the better Ruger combos.

Mine gets more ACP shooting than it does .45 Colt but either caliber is potent out of that strong Blackhawk./beagle