PDA

View Full Version : 1 st snow of the year.

mold maker
12-09-2017, 11:54 AM
Yesterday about lunch time the gentle rain turned to snow. Not by any means a major storm but a beautiful blanket covering all the less than perfection in nature. It continued off and on overnight and is expected to continue till noon today, with only a few inches accumulation. The roads are clear so our regular breakfast was enjoyed at the local restraunt. Pushing a wheel chair in snow isn't my idea of fun, but not a problem this morning.
I know snow isn't news to many, but this is our earliest snow in quite a few years and we often have Winters totally void of the white wonder.
This is a heavy wet snow so it won't be around long, and that is my favorite kind. I hate shoveling the walks and drive.

KenH
12-09-2017, 12:10 PM
I'm not a fan of snow - I'm in Fairhope, AL (across bay from Mobile) where it's warm, we grow oranges, etc. It's not supposed to get cold here...... BUT - we had a snow last night. Total surprise when we got up this morning - about an inch. I should have made snow cream, but didn't have the makings here. Oh well, many nice memories of childhood when we'd get snow in north Alabama - finally get some ice cream (snow cream).

Anybody else make snow cream these days?

Ken H>

beemer
12-09-2017, 12:18 PM
Mold Maker, how much snow did you get ? In northern Alexander Co. we have 6-7 inches. It is the stickiest snow I have ever seen, all the trees are loaded and the power lines look as big as your wrist. The gravel road I live on looks passable, I guess because the ground was not that cold. It might be another story tomorrow with everything freezing tonight. If you have to get out take care.

Dave

RED BEAR
12-09-2017, 02:15 PM
It stopped snowing a while but they say we are still going to get more this afternoon. Had to go out in it last night to round up my dogs who got to playing in it and would not come back in. Went sailing off stairs from deck only thing hurt was my pride. Once I hit the ground all three came to check on me. At least I know how to get them to come now.

country gent
12-09-2017, 02:21 PM
We got a few inches this morning. We did some shopping this morning ( needed some wood and groceries). Later on I may take the trac chair out and play in it with the grandsons. LOL. With it as my out door chair I have yet to find anything to slow it down or stall it.

white eagle
12-09-2017, 02:30 PM
woke up this morning to snow in the deer wood here as well
to bad some blastful winds to boot
oh well sure makes things look nice

Maven
12-09-2017, 02:30 PM
It's snowing now with ~1" on the ground thus far. It just began ~10:15AM when I went for a bike ride, but not enough to deter me or make the roads slippery.

xs11jack
12-09-2017, 08:26 PM
I read your entries and panic set in, I had to run to the window and check, wheeooo, no snow! Yet. I better get the snow blower out of the shed. Good grief I just finished up getting all the leave gather up and send off last Wednesday. Come on Guys don't rush the season.
Ole Jack

osteodoc08
12-09-2017, 10:40 PM
It was so nice to wake up to it in NW GA. Love a little bit of snow every now and then.'

PaulG67
12-10-2017, 01:09 AM
It has been snowing all day here, finally stopped about 2 hours ago. got about 5 or 6 inches. will move it tomorrow. Will be able to test out the cab I built for my Kubota BX25D with three point hitch mounted snowblower.

Tom W.
12-10-2017, 02:39 AM
We got some about 0800 or so on the 9th. In our part of the city it was at first snow mixed with rain, then about ten minutes of flurries. It didn't take long for the sky to turn blue. Now it's below freezing and expected to get into the high 20's......it ain't normal Alabama weather, at least for here!

Thundarstick
12-10-2017, 06:36 AM
All the moisture past us by, so we are just cold and dry!

MOA
12-10-2017, 09:11 AM
Suprised wake up. Mobile, Al. Across bay from Fairhope, Al.

mold maker
12-10-2017, 10:46 AM
The wet heavy snow finally topped out at 2+ inches and is leaving fast. Under the evergreens where it was thin, it's gone. The roads never got to be a problem locally, but caused several major wrecks not too far to the North. It is nice to see it fall and a pretty picture for your memory, but this is my kind of snow. Pretty falling and gone without a shovel.

jdfoxinc
12-10-2017, 11:17 AM
I like la ninja winters here on the front range. It snows in the mountains and leaves us alone down here. I can drive 30 min. If I really need to play in the snow. El Nino winters you think that the first flake to fall is the last to melt in the spring.

375supermag
12-10-2017, 05:09 PM
Hi....
Got about 5" here in South Central PA.
Pushed it off the driveway with a shovel....same with the sidewalk and deck.
Roads cleared up pretty quickly when the sun came up this morning.
Cold and mostly clear here today...more snow possible Tuesday.
I can do without it personally.

abunaitoo
12-12-2017, 05:26 AM
What is snow??????
:bigsmyl2:

Lloyd Smale
12-12-2017, 06:05 AM
about 8" on the ground now. Blizzard warnings for today and below zero wind chills and 10 more inches today. Snow should be gone by march or April. That said we don't have weeks of 90 plus high humidity days. hurricanes, floods, tornados, poisonous snakes and spiders. Just some snow to enjoy skiing or snowmobiling in the winter and probably the nicest summer weather anywhere.

Grmps
12-12-2017, 04:29 PM
What is snow??????
:bigsmyl2:

https://i.imgur.com/lUIvsSm.jpg

abunaitoo
12-12-2017, 10:17 PM
That is funny.

jonp
12-13-2017, 05:57 PM
Yesterday about lunch time the gentle rain turned to snow. Not by any means a major storm but a beautiful blanket covering all the less than perfection in nature. It continued off and on overnight and is expected to continue till noon today, with only a few inches accumulation. The roads are clear so our regular breakfast was enjoyed at the local restraunt. Pushing a wheel chair in snow isn't my idea of fun, but not a problem this morning.
I know snow isn't news to many, but this is our earliest snow in quite a few years and we often have Winters totally void of the white wonder.
This is a heavy wet snow so it won't be around long, and that is my favorite kind. I hate shoveling the walks and drive.

didn't get any over here north of Raleigh. Spitted snow all day but no accumulation at all except in the roof valleys.

Rick N Bama
12-14-2017, 09:31 PM
Hello KenH. I'm in northern Cullman county were we had about 10 flakes of snow, but just a couple miles south of me the ground & roofs were white. My nephew lives north of Atlanta where he measured a bit over 8" of the white stuff. I'm now retired, but when I was working I would have to drive in the snow or ice. Then I hated it with a passion, but now I don't care if we should get a foot or more.

Hogtamer
12-14-2017, 10:55 PM
Look! We got some last month!

Herb in Pa
12-15-2017, 12:09 AM
About 5 1/2 inches here this morning, enough to fire up the snowblower................

Lloyd Smale
12-15-2017, 09:00 AM
Been snowing about 3 days straight here. Not really blizzard conditions as theres not much wind but the snow is adding up. Great thing is that my neighbor has a tractor with a blower and does my driveways for free and just recovering from back surgery my wife does the porch and walk way shoveling so I can just watch it snow out the window and there isn't a poisonous snake, spider, scorpion or even a fly or skeeter anywhere. Now grass to mow or garden to weed and lots of time to cast and load for the summer. Son in law just yesterday dropped off a pickup and trailer load of cut and split firewood and theres hot coffee in the kitchen so all is good. Sorry southerners but Chirstmas isn't suppose to be green!! Have to admit though that these days buy about the middle of February I'm tired of the snow.