PDA

View Full Version : Re-enforcing the crush section of shot wads

Blood Trail
12-08-2017, 06:11 PM
Anyone ever used hot glue to fill the crush section of a wad? I’m thinking I might give it a try.

What day ye?
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171208/265e51bc409b76e830d012d0a43224cb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hogtamer
12-08-2017, 06:28 PM
It's not a crush section anymore.

15meter
12-08-2017, 07:23 PM
Costello: The left fielder's name?

Abbott: Why.

Why? Tried to post just Why? apparently there is a 5 character minimum. Don't know why, left field.....

Blood Trail
12-08-2017, 07:47 PM
Costello: The left fielder's name?

Abbott: Why.

Why? Tried to post just Why? apparently there is a 5 character minimum. Don't know why, left field.....

Simple. Most Field wads aren’t designed for heavy loads with slow burning powders. I was thinking of having a wad like Federal uses in their foster slugs.

copdills
12-08-2017, 08:18 PM
very very interesting, let us know how it works

Blood Trail
12-08-2017, 08:43 PM
It's not a crush section anymore.

Exactly.

472x1B/A
12-08-2017, 09:09 PM
Wouldn't it be better to use felt wads to fill in the part you hot glued? Just asking?

Blood Trail
12-08-2017, 10:46 PM
Wouldn't it be better to use felt wads to fill in the part you hot glued? Just asking?

These are for slugs loaded in shot cups like Lee and Lyman.

RED333
12-08-2017, 11:16 PM
Worried that the glue will get mashed out and make a tight fitting plug in the barrel.

longbow
12-09-2017, 12:05 AM
Two things:

- if you remove the crush section I am betting pressures jump. Maybe not so much with slow powders but I'd be careful there. At ignition that crush section makes for more volume so less pressure.
- you will want to use at least a 2 wrap paper tube to avoid wiping glue all down your bore.

I've made AQ clones using round balls drilled for wood screw with head sticking out for glue to grab, put into a tube form then squirted hot melt glue in to make an attached wad slug... with a paper tube where the glue is for bearing in the bore. They worked pretty well if I got nicely formed attached wads.

Longbow

zymguy
12-09-2017, 12:06 AM
you can buy a wad that has the characteristics you seek , start with BPI. If you enjoy messing with hot glue and the like, well post some target pics too !

rancher1913
12-09-2017, 10:24 AM
some are shooting hot melt glue boolits with no trouble, cant see this being any different. if my pressure test rig was up and running I would test some of those for you, but I am a ways from being up and running with it.

Blood Trail
12-09-2017, 11:28 AM
some are shooting hot melt glue boolits with no trouble, cant see this being any different. if my pressure test rig was up and running I would test some of those for you, but I am a ways from being up and running with it.

Appreciate the offer. What’s it down for, strain gages?

rancher1913
12-09-2017, 11:51 AM
yah looking like the strain gauges and the newer computer rig, hopefully after Christmas I can scrape up the 800 bucks.

longbow
12-09-2017, 12:58 PM
Those hot melt glue boolits are being shot with mouse fart loads as far as I understand. Full pressure loads squeezing that glue against a shotgun bore will leave you with a bore full of glue in my opinion.

Of course trying a shot or two would tell you pretty quick I think.

Also, there is hot melt glue then there is hot melt glue. The stuff you and I can buy generally comes in regular and high strength (or at least where I am). The high strength is noticable harder and more "plastic" like.

Many years ago I was doing some testing products for gluing polyethylene edge sticks onto aluminum cathodes for a zinc electrowinning plant and I ordered a variety of industrial hot melt glue sticks. Some were very high temperature melting point and seemed more like plastic than glue. Those might do the job if you can get them. Sorry, I can't recall the names or brands other than 3M IIRC.

I had a bunch left over and used it for years replacing Ferr-L-Tite for gluing field points and broadheads on arrows.

I'll say again, watch out for pressure! I am basing this on research I did for my first heavy slug loads and some short hull data I got from BPI. It appears that with faster powders anyway that same/similar recipes in long hulls with cushion leg wads either develop less pressure or use more powder to reach same pressure as a similar short hull recipe with no cushion leg wad. My take is that the give at ignition creates more volume so less initial pressure. My opinion only but better to be safe than sorry.

Slower powders like Blue Dot didn't seem to display that sort of behaviour.

It would be interesting to get some pressure testing done to see if this is a concern or not.

Play but play safe!

Longbow