PDA

View Full Version : 28 gauge foster slugs??

plumberroy
08-19-2008, 07:43 PM
anyone make them ? know where I could lay my hands on some?
Thanks in advance
Roy

C A Plater
08-19-2008, 07:51 PM
Don't know of any genuine foster slugs for 28 gauge but Ballistic Products 28ga light game slug (http://shop2.mailordercentral.com/bpicart/prodinfo.asp?number=0721628) may be an alternative you can use.

plumberroy
08-19-2008, 08:21 PM
Don't know of any genuine foster slugs for 28 gauge but Ballistic Products 28ga light game slug (http://shop2.mailordercentral.com/bpicart/prodinfo.asp?number=0721628) may be an alternative you can use.

I am loading a round ball now. we were discussing 28 ga.slugs over on another forum. I figure if anyone was making them someone on this forum would . (I've been lurking for a while:mrgreen:)
Actually Have 2 different rb loads 1 that is a .490 rb in a shot cup with hand punched cork wads in the cup for filler
and the latest experiment is a .530 rb with the gas seal cut off a winchester wad and 1/4 cork wads stack for filler I am loading with a lee loader (no press) both will do 4" groups at 40 yards I chronographed some this spring @1100 f.p.s. but have stepped them up another notch since then I'm using bluedot powder
At least 3 or 4 of us would be interested in 28 ga fosters maybe more
Roy

johnly
08-22-2008, 02:14 PM
Have you considered using a modified Lyman 1-Cavity #542622 54 Caliber (542 Diameter) 425 Grain Minie Ball bullet mold? It's a .008" under the nominal 28 gauge bore diameter, and one could have a new base plug machined to lighten the projectile and make it more nose heavy.

John

Hackleback
08-24-2008, 09:01 PM
It sounds like the 54 miniball route will be the cheapest route. If the slug is a bit undersized, you might consider paper patching. ....

plumberroy
08-27-2008, 06:52 PM
It sounds like the 54 miniball route will be the cheapest route. If the slug is a bit undersized, you might consider paper patching. ....
Unless it was A deep hollow base I doubt it would be weight forward enough to fly decent out of a smooth bore
I have been working on round ball loads .490 round ball in a shot cup with cork wads filling the cup to bring the ball up to the top .
I have some supplies on order from bpi once they get here I'm going to try some .530 round balls
I mainly want something to thump a yote if he is messing with my beagles
I hunt with single shot 28 gauge H&R youth gun with adult choate stock and survivor forearm I weighs a tick less than 5pounds and is 38 inches long
I just thought that if anyone was making them someone here would know about it
thanks for the suggestions
Roy

turbo1889
08-28-2008, 12:41 AM
Well, I suppose if your not willing to have a custom mold cut and you only need a few you could always make yourself up some of the old fashioned "thumper slugs" Basically what you do is take an old choke tube with a tight constriction (full choke works good) put a shot wad inside it -- fill up the shot wad with lead shot to the top of the petals and then pore in some epoxy -- not the cheapo stuff the good stuff that isn't so brittle. Whe the epoxy is set but not completely cured you pound out the whole unit with a length of wooden dowel and mallet. what you end up with is a slug made from a wad that is nose heavy and that will hold together until it hits something at which point it acts like a fragmenting round. This works best with wads that have a very stiff cusion section like the Federal "S" series wads. Done it myself more then once for the bigger guages but casting is much quicker -- takes about fifteen minutes to make each slug even with quick set epoxy otherwise.