PDA

View Full Version : Pacific Press

BarkEater
12-08-2017, 08:54 AM
Good morning guys, did a little bit of bartering for a new to me Pacific press. A small Internet search left me with little info. I was hoping one of you could help me see what I have here. Thanks in advance.
Mike

Char-Gar
12-08-2017, 10:31 AM
You have a Pacific Super C, from the 1950s. Good strong press.

Pressman
12-08-2017, 04:13 PM
It's a Super C, made in this format from 1949 till 1960. Black is the most common color; the last ones were blue after Dietmeyer took over Pacific.
It's a great press though the upstroke feature has gone out of favor today. Rams are standardized so replacements can be gotten from RCBS and CH4D.

It was designed to be an improvement over the slightly smaller and weaker Standard press from 1931.

Ken

BarkEater
12-08-2017, 05:24 PM
Thank you guys, it came with a ram marked 222 as well as one marked 3006 but the gentleman was nice enough to send a ram that accepts standard SH’s too. Thanks again for the info, I can’t wait to give it a go this weekend, not sure if I’ll like the difference in the stroke but only time will tell.
Mike

AZ Pete
12-08-2017, 06:46 PM
Thank you guys, it came with a ram marked 222 as well as one marked 3006 but the gentleman was nice enough to send a ram that accepts standard SH’s too. Thanks again for the info, I can’t wait to give it a go this weekend, not sure if I’ll like the difference in the stroke but only time will tell.
Mike

My Dad bought a used Pacific Super (a blue one) in about 1960. I loaded with it until about 1992 or so. I loaded some very accurate hunting ammo with it over the years....sub MOA in .270 and 300 WM. Great old press!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Char-Gar
12-08-2017, 06:48 PM
Mike, I started with a Super C and still have one like yours on my bench as well as several of the pre-war lighter Pacifics. I have never found the upstroke to be any kind of issue. The press primes on the down stroke and gives a very good feel to primer seating.

Hootmix
12-08-2017, 07:52 PM
Hey Char,,, I had one of the blue one's,,never failed ,had several bar's for it back in the late 60's up till 83-84,,has a great primer on it ,matter of fact,i put one similar to it on one of my Lee Loader's, set up for rifle . Enjoy.

Later,,,,Hootmix.

Grmps
12-08-2017, 08:42 PM
I got a super C for sizing bullets with the Lee sizing dies (not a fan of sizing on the upstroke) But,
I made a semiauto sizing machine and never used it.

BarkEater
12-08-2017, 10:39 PM
I'm hoping to get it bolted down tomorrow morning and run some 45 ACP's through it. Char-Gar do you know if these ever had a spent primer catch/basket ?
Mike

Char-Gar
12-08-2017, 11:57 PM
I'm hoping to get it bolted down tomorrow morning and run some 45 ACP's through it. Char-Gar do you know if these ever had a spent primer catch/basket ?
Mike

Sure, put a plastic trash can under the press. It won't take but a few deprimes to learn where to put it.

AZ Pete
12-09-2017, 10:47 AM
They did have a plastic trough that slipped on to the press. At least my blue one did

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BarkEater
12-10-2017, 08:26 AM
Thanks again for all the info guys, I did a few hundred 40 S&W yesterday and the press worked awesome. I just swept up the spent primers that made it to the floor. I might just try to build some sort of catch to help, but I'm fine with a few making it to the concrete.
Mike

dubber123
12-10-2017, 09:26 AM
Thanks again for all the info guys, I did a few hundred 40 S&W yesterday and the press worked awesome. I just swept up the spent primers that made it to the floor. I might just try to build some sort of catch to help, but I'm fine with a few making it to the concrete.
Mike

With your rampant OCD?, I'm surprised you don't stop to pick up each one :) I'll have to check out your new baby when I stop by again.

TNsailorman
12-10-2017, 01:12 PM
Mike, there was a guy on here that went by the name of "Big Tom" that computer printed primer catchers for the Pacific Super C Press and he made one for me. It has a tube on the bottom that drops empty spent primers into a trash can or whatever you set under the press to catch them in. Works like a charm, I know because I have one on my Blue Super C press. Might be worth your time to end him a message and see if he still has some left. james

BarkEater
12-10-2017, 08:55 PM
Well my OCD isn't quite that bad but...yeah wait a minute...you're right it's pretty bad.

And thank you James...I will take a look into those 3D catchers. Might be just what I'm looking for.
Mike

Safeshot
12-11-2017, 10:49 AM
Mount it "up side down" and use a Lee push through sizer, It then will be a "down stroke" sizing set up. Drops the bullets into a container, fast and simple. Good press, you "did well".