PDA

View Full Version : Ordered my Christmas Present today

country gent
12-07-2017, 05:32 PM
After thinking it over and researching it. Looking over the offerings and mulling it over for awhile. I ordered my Christmas present today. A Henery Original Iron Frame in 44-40 with 24" barrel. I'm looking forward to getting it. Local Gun Shop said 7-10 days for it. I had considered the brass framed model but liked the case hardened receiver better. I have a set of 44-40 dies but need to order brass and some starter bullets in the 200-220 grn range and a bullet mould. Planning on original loadings of Black Powder. Looks like 38-39 grns of 3F Olde Ensforde from Goexs site. Should be a lot of fun.

dikman
12-07-2017, 05:44 PM
Very nice! Looks like you're well on the way to having a great Christmas.:drinks:

JonB_in_Glencoe
12-07-2017, 06:15 PM
My Buddy has a Marlin in 44-40, he loves that gun.

I loaded some ammo for his gun. I used the Lee 429-200-RF boolits and my SL68B lube, pushed with Unique. But that boolit has small lube grooves that are probably not adequate for BP shooting?

Ramjet-SS
12-07-2017, 06:36 PM
I am so jealous that is on my list maybe in Feburary

country gent
12-07-2017, 09:41 PM
Ive been eyeing this since last spring thinking and drooling. Ive got cases pieces parts and 2 different bullets coming now.

Wayne Smith
12-07-2017, 09:47 PM
If you are gonna put that much powder in the case you WILL need a compression die, especially if you are casting your boolits of 30-1. Believe me, I do it routinely. No room for a over powder wad, either.

country gent
12-07-2017, 10:48 PM
I will be making a compression die in a few days for it. That was what Goex site gave for a charge. when the brass and bullets get here Ill find a no compression charge and work up from there with the chronograph and targets telling me what is going on. Will be an interesting work up and testing with the smaller case. I have loaded 45-90, 45-70, 40-65, and 38-55 BP loads that shoot very well out to 500 yds.

Beerd
12-07-2017, 11:02 PM
Don't forget to post some pitchers when you get it.

Bent Ramrod
12-08-2017, 11:00 AM
Ive looked longingly at that model at Gun Shows for years, but I simply have no more room in the safe. Hope to get the full-bore Virtual Cyber Ownership experience reading your adventures with yours.

I’ve heard that a leather glove for your left hand is an indispensable accessory. :mrgreen:

country gent
12-08-2017, 12:12 PM
Bent Ramrod. I wear a doeskin leather glove on my off hand when shooting the sharps and others now ( cushions the pulse from fingertips and aids follow thru). I'm looking forward to this new addition to my collection of early cartridge guns. First repeater and first lever action ( other than a couple 22s). I started with hunting rifles and shotguns went to handguns ( bowling pins and ISPC) then NRA High power rifle, shot an M1a garand and was converting to ARs when the MS forced me to quit. I currently have a Pedersoli Sharps (45-70) C Sharps Hepburn ( 45-90) CPA shillouette model ( 40-65) C Sharps High wall ( 38-55) And a BRC Sharps brochardt ( 45-70) I'm loading for, SO far none of these have seen any smokeless powder only Black powder. Its been an adventure with these rifles finding out what a 9-10 years old boy knew in the 1870s again. So much of that data and info was lost due to the times ( most didn't read or write or make notes like today)

country gent
12-08-2017, 12:13 PM
THe other thing to "learn" with this rifle is repositioning the offhand to allow the cartridge follower to pass. LOL

OlDeuce
12-09-2017, 01:36 PM
After thinking it over and researching it. Looking over the offerings and mulling it over for awhile. I ordered my Christmas present today. A Henery Original Iron Frame in 44-40 with 24" barrel. I'm looking forward to getting it. Local Gun Shop said 7-10 days for it. I had considered the brass framed model but liked the case hardened receiver better. I have a set of 44-40 dies but need to order brass and some starter bullets in the 200-220 grn range and a bullet mould. Planning on original loadings of Black Powder. Looks like 38-39 grns of 3F Olde Ensforde from Goexs site. Should be a lot of fun.

You will really like your Iron Henry !!! I have one and BP with a 200grRN works very well !!! I put a tang sight on it and she does the 760yd Buffalo just fine !!!!!!
Ol Deuce

country gent
12-09-2017, 02:30 PM
OlDeuce, Might I inquire as to your load data is? A starting point will be greatly appreciated as there isn't a lot of BP Data available any more. LOL

LIMPINGJ
12-09-2017, 02:46 PM
Looks like a fine rifle, I am holding out for an Improved Henery if they ever make one.

OlDeuce
12-09-2017, 04:26 PM
OlDeuce, Might I inquire as to your load data is? A starting point will be greatly appreciated as there isn't a lot of BP Data available any more. LOL

Gent.....I'm using 30.6gr fffg GOEX with a 209grRN cast 1 This gives me almost a 1/16'' crush.. My Iron Henry is a 1 of1000 24 1/4'' barreled Uberti !! The other
load that I use is 7.2gr of Unique ! I like the BP better! the boom,the smoke , if feels like I'm back in the 1860s LoL....I've had this Henry for ? 25 years!
she looks as good as if I got it yesterday !!!

Ol Deuce

country gent
12-11-2017, 02:54 PM
Got my bullets today from Baco. 50 of the 210 grn roundnose flat point and 50 of the 222 grn hollow based roundnose flat point. These will be the first 2 bullets I test in the Henery Original. The Hollow based looks interesting as it has a big flat. I'm still waiting on brass and some other things for this project.

Prodigal Son
12-11-2017, 07:18 PM
I got some brass, not sure how much, but it's yours for the shipping if you want it couple boxes of 50 I think!

country gent
12-11-2017, 11:38 PM
I started working on the compression stem today. Will finish it tomorrow. Things are coming together nicely.

OlDeuce
12-12-2017, 11:30 PM
Keep us posted for sure !!!!! Ol Deuce

country gent
12-12-2017, 11:54 PM
Been trimming brass to square it up and deburring chamfering it. started with a batch of 500 starline 45-70 since the trimmer was set up for it already. Now working thru the 44-40. I'm debating on deburring the flash hoes as all ive looked at are clean. Also not sure if I need to anneal this brass for BP.

OlDeuce
12-13-2017, 07:05 PM
You shouldn't need to anneal the first go around with new brass ! When I did my 44-40 I fire formed the first cases to the chamber and then loaded the black...
The cases are still working good after all these years!!! I keep the BP cases separate from the smokeless . Why I don't really know but has worked out well!!

Ol Deuce

country gent
12-16-2017, 03:49 PM
Went to pick up the rifle today. Got there and all the forms filled out. Shop wasn't to busy for a change. Lady ahead of me ( we were filling out the 4473s at the same time) instant check went thru. I did a little shopping looking around and The instant check went down before mine went thru. The phone in number wouldn't allow entry and the computer system would load up. SO now I'm waiting on a phone call to let me know its through. Did get to see the rifle though and its got a nice piece of walnut for the buttstock finished and fitted very nicely. Bluing is nice deep nd dark case hardened receiver and lever are nicely done and pretty defined in the colors. Rear ladder sight is graduated to "7" and folds up or down easily and securely with no wobble or shake. Its a very nice looking rifle. Action is glass smooth with no ammo in it. Trigger pull feels to be about 4 lbs. I'm hoping to pick it up tomorrow.

OlDeuce
12-16-2017, 04:29 PM
Went to pick up the rifle today. Got there and all the forms filled out. Shop wasn't to busy for a change. Lady ahead of me ( we were filling out the 4473s at the same time) instant check went thru. I did a little shopping looking around and The instant check went down before mine went thru. The phone in number wouldn't allow entry and the computer system would load up. SO now I'm waiting on a phone call to let me know its through. Did get to see the rifle though and its got a nice piece of walnut for the buttstock finished and fitted very nicely. Bluing is nice deep nd dark case hardened receiver and lever are nicely done and pretty defined in the colors. Rear ladder sight is graduated to "7" and folds up or down easily and securely with no wobble or shake. Its a very nice looking rifle. Action is glass smooth with no ammo in it. Trigger pull feels to be about 4 lbs. I'm hoping to pick it up tomorrow.

This is way cool!! You need to post some good pictures of this girl!! she sounds like a nice one for sure!!:2_high5::awesome:

Ol Deuce[smilie=s:

country gent
12-16-2017, 06:54 PM
Well the shop called about 5:30 to tell me they got the proceed with transaction finally. We got to the shop about 10:30 11:00. I'm hoping we can make a quick trip tomorrow and pick it up. Then to size brass to fit it and get some ammo ready.

country gent
12-16-2017, 07:03 PM
Oh and not a promotion but you members in or near Northwest Ohio here is a little something. Clelands Sports world on Airport Highway has a 73 Winchesters in 38 wcf that's been nicely redone its almost like new. And a Very claen Marlin in 38 wcf that's clean and nice looking.

country gent
12-17-2017, 10:03 PM
I have the Henry home now. Ive figured out the release on the loading tube release and have it down. I thought id try feeding so sized cases thru it and found out that wouldn't work so had to work it out of the action back into the tube and then out of the rifle. I ran a couple patches down the bore first one was damp with clp and came out really dirty, the next 2 not so bad. Wiped out side down and got some dirt and crud there. Its a slick handling rifle. Tomorrow I will load up 5 dummy rounds to test thru it. Its a good looking rifle and feels good with the 24 1/2" barel. Also lubed the action and other moving parts. It is a slick action with a fairly short lever throw.

OlDeuce
12-17-2017, 11:42 PM
Gent.......... how about some Pictures of her ??? LoL Ol Deuce

country gent
12-18-2017, 06:56 PM
I now have the die set set to my RCBS summit press and 5 dummy rounds to play with. This original henry Is fussy on cartridge length. a little to long and the crrier wont raise a little to short and the next cartridges rim catches binding it up. But even with rounds in it its scarry smooth. New its very smooth a few hundred rounds and it will almost cycle itself probably.

country gent
12-19-2017, 04:48 PM
Ive got some cases sized and working belling them. Had to adjust the belling stem a little bigger as tension was pretty heavy. Also had to radious the sizing dies mouth a little more as cases were catching on the opening a little.

OlDeuce
12-19-2017, 05:29 PM
After sizing my brass I made a tool to open the mouth and it works well !!
https://s20.postimg.org/aj4q2aorx/IMG_3887.jpg (https://postimg.org/image/es9g4gs15/)

Ol Deuce

country gent
12-23-2017, 12:22 AM
I just finished 40 rounds of 44-40 ammo. Starline brass trimmed, deburred and chamfered, flash holes deburred. Full length resized ( since it is new brass). Necks expanded and belled. 33.7 grns Olde Ensforde 2F powder. .020 wad tracing paper wad compressed to allow bullet to seat to depth. 210 grn rnfp bullet cast from 20-1 and lubed with SPG. Se how this does in the new rifle. I have .060 thk and .030 thk Napa rubber fiber gasket material to try for the base wads in future loads. Next bullet is a 222 grn HB RNFP. I'm curious to see how these perform.

OlDeuce
12-23-2017, 06:18 PM
I just finished 40 rounds of 44-40 ammo. Starline brass trimmed, deburred and chamfered, flash holes deburred. Full length resized ( since it is new brass). Necks expanded and belled. 33.7 grns Olde Ensforde 2F powder. .020 wad tracing paper wad compressed to allow bullet to seat to depth. 210 grn rnfp bullet cast from 20-1 and lubed with SPG. Se how this does in the new rifle. I have .060 thk and .030 thk Napa rubber fiber gasket material to try for the base wads in future loads. Next bullet is a 222 grn HB RNFP. I'm curious to see how these perform.

You might keep in mind the link action in your Henry !! I've always though the heavier bullet was the way to fly ! A local shooter put the Bolt in his eye on
his repo '66 ....I really enjoy shooting my Henry But no intentions of Big Game with her ! Cool Rifle no matter how ya look at her!!!

Ol Deuce

Dan Cash
12-23-2017, 09:16 PM
The rubber gasket matereial has left some very foul, brown tar in my Shiloh. Plain cardboard tablet back or poster board will work better but a wad is hardly needed for pistol caliber.