PDA

View Full Version : Dessert

Xringshooter
12-07-2017, 10:57 AM
Here's the cake I made for my wife for her birthday. Recipe follows

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z105/xringshooter/Misc/DSCN0607_zpsnhmpwcpz.jpg (http://s188.photobucket.com/user/xringshooter/media/Misc/DSCN0607_zpsnhmpwcpz.jpg.html)

Bake the cakes and let cool for a bit then remove from pans. Let them get completely cool then split them in half (I had a big enough knife to do this but if you don't you can slice them with heavy thread or even better is flossing thread).

The frosting isn't as dark as I ran out of the Special Dark Cocoa so it's 50-50 dark and regular cocoa. If you use all Special Dark Cocoa the frosting will be almost black.For this cake you need a double batch of frosting.

It says it makes 12 servings. Let me tell you a serving is a lot but it is so good.

Hershey Especially Dark Cake

INGREDIENTS
• 3/4 cup HERSHEY'S SPECIAL DARK Cocoa
• 2 eggs
• (recipe follows)
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 1 cup milk
• 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
• 1 cup water boiling
• 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
• 2 cups sugar
• 1/2 cup vegetable oil
• 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
• 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
DIRECTIONS
• 1. Heat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour two 9-inch round baking pans
• 2. Stir together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt in large bowl. Add eggs, milk, oil and vanilla; beat on medium speed of mixer 2 minutes. Stir in boiling water (batter will be thin). Pour batter into prepared pans
• 3. Bake 30 to 35 minutes for round pans or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks. Cool completely. Frost with "ESPECIALLY DARK" CHOCOLATE FROSTING. Makes 12 servings

• "ESPECIALLY DARK" CHOCOLATE FROSTING

• 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter or margarine
• 2/3 cup HERSHEY'S SPECIAL DARK Cocoa
• 3 cups powdered sugar
• 1/3 cup milk
• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract

• Melt butter, Stir in cocoa. Alternately add powdered sugar and milk, beating to spreading consistency. Add small amount additional milk, if needed. Stir in vanilla. About 2 cups frosting.

(if you can't find the Hershey Special Dark Cocoa you can use any Dutch Process Cocoa - Dutch Process Cocoa is different from regular cocoa in the way it is made and it does make a difference)

reloader28
12-13-2017, 11:33 PM
Man does that look tasty. Nice job

Bazoo
12-14-2017, 11:26 PM
Thats real nice. I made my wife a red velvet cake out of a box this year.

MaryB
12-15-2017, 12:02 AM
I just gained 5 pounds looking at that!

Local brewery makes a Red Velvet Chocolate Oatmeal Milk Stout that tastes just like a cake! I use it as a desert beer when I can find it! I am trying to weasel the recipe from them so I can brew it myself but it is not going to be cheap... priced out ingredients and an 11 gallon batch would be over $100

Xringshooter
12-15-2017, 10:20 AM
I just gained 5 pounds looking at that!

Local brewery makes a Red Velvet Chocolate Oatmeal Milk Stout that tastes just like a cake! I use it as a desert beer when I can find it! I am trying to weasel the recipe from them so I can brew it myself but it is not going to be cheap... priced out ingredients and an 11 gallon batch would be over $100

Yeah, not cheap but it really sounds good - hard part will be getting the recipe :drinks:

Boaz
12-16-2017, 08:23 AM
Nice cake ! Four layer !

cephas53
12-17-2017, 03:58 PM
Thanks for the recipe. Cut it in half and made one cake in a 9" pan. Delicious. Wife and friends tried it. Kidded her it reminded me of an old Tarzan movie where something falls into the water and the piranha's attack.