PDA

View Full Version : not a good day.

corey012778
08-19-2008, 04:03 PM
got to the range. too both my knight and cva hawkens.

went to the 25yrd range. popped 3 caps, one cci #11mag, one winchester #11 and one rem #11

no burn marks on the cleaning patches. still load prb and some powder. NOTHING. poured some powder in the booster. the powder in the booster. the powder in the booster ignites. but not the main charge. FORGOT my ball puller at home. so I pack it up and take it back to the truck.

get my knight out. walk over to the rifle range set my target up. walk back to the bench. did not load anything. was getting ready to pop some caps. the PLUNGER WOULD NOT LATCH. started thinking to myself, I cleaned the trigger real good what going on. did not worry to much. I had a screw driver set with me. pull it out. it is a bit type. started to turn it. the handle was turning not the screw. THE BIT ATTACHMENT BROKE. I got really pissed.
it is a 30min drive to the range one way. really wish I brought another gun so it would of not been a waste of time for me.

came home, pulled the ball out of the hawkens melted the ball off. was happy patch came out with the ball. went to pour the powder out. NO POWDER, started to scrach my head. I know I put powder down the barrel, I was 100% sure of it. ran the ball puller back down the bore to see if there was. anything down there I did not find when I ran the ram rod down at the time I bought it.

went to the bathtub with a bucket. set the barrel in the bucket started pumping. no water was come out the barrel.
took a couple cups of soupy water and filled up the barrel and was nothing coming out the booster. started running a patch in a pumping motion. the water coming out was black as can be and had a smell to it. still had liquid wrinch in it from where I took the old booster out. I thought I got it all out. did the same thing 5 time with 3 out 5 times having water staying in the barrel. last 2 times I started having water slowly going down. took it out. range 4 patches both sides to dry it. then took an rem oil patch down.

now to my knight. took it apart and looked at the trigger. the latch to the plunger was not sitting right. fix it. oiled it and put it back together, took me 5 mins to fix it.

only good thing about all this. past 2 deer on the way home close to where I hunt out that way.

waksupi
08-19-2008, 08:36 PM
When you had it out, did you see anything like a cement substance? I t can build up in a breech, and foul ignition.

Ya know, with a good flintlock, ya probably wouldn't have these problems~!

;o)

mooman76
08-19-2008, 08:46 PM
When you say the booster are you talking about the drum? When I forget to load powder or rather if I was to forget to load the powder I take the nipple off and put as much powder in the drum as I can(only a grain or two will fit) and fire a cap. Har just enough power to push the ball out.
I don't always do it but it is a good idea to store your ML muzzle down after cleaning so excess oil or cleaner will run out.

mooman76
08-19-2008, 08:47 PM
By the way I have a 30 minute drive to where I shoot and I have got to where I always take extra gun(s) with me in case I have a problem it isn't a wasted trip.

crossxsticks
08-19-2008, 08:49 PM
Corey ,sorry my friend sounds like if it wernt fer bad luck you wouldnt had any luck @ all

corey012778
08-19-2008, 09:40 PM
yes drum, it was a cut and paste from another forum.

I thought about bringing my sks or 96/22 the night before.
I did load about 5 or 6 grs total, in to the nipple. it went off. have something blocking. may have got

mooman76
08-19-2008, 10:18 PM
The powder probably got contaminated and only partially went off.

corey012778
08-20-2008, 12:40 AM
100% right there.

it is the time of year I start having problem. last year I had 3 scope go south with in a month.

northmn
08-24-2008, 12:19 PM
I remember one person came up to me and asked about getting a ball out that after he had forgotten to load powder. I told hin the powder under the nipple trick. he said he could try that escept he found the nipple was the same thread as a grease zerk and tried to pressure the ball out with a grease gun. There was a gentleman with problems.

Northmn

Kuato
08-24-2008, 03:28 PM
At least you didn't shoot your rod out of your gun.....Don't ask ...:groner:

corey012778
08-24-2008, 03:42 PM
I try not to talk about other peoples mishaps [smilie=1:

I am known to do them on my next range session:roll: