PDA

View Full Version : 32 ACP Recommendation?

arclight
08-19-2008, 02:01 PM
Hi all,

I'm looking for suggestions for a .32 ACP cast boolit mold/load.

This would be for a Beretta Tomcat, and I'd like an inexpensive plinking load.

Maybe in the 70-95gr range?

I picked up a set of RCBS dies on the cheap, and would like to give it a try.

Thanks,

Arclight

9.3X62AL
08-20-2008, 11:04 AM
Longtime 32 ACP loader and caster here.

I have used Lyman #313249 for a long time in this caliber (85 grain RN), and it has shot wonderfully in a wide assortment of 32 ACP pistols I've owned. 2.0 grains of WW-231 has been the go-to load in my Walther PP for 10 years+. These run about 800 FPS.

One thing to be mindful of with the 32 ACP--as loaded in Europe, this caliber is a very different chambering than it is in the USA. The guy I bought the PP from had a couple boxes of GECO ammo that he gave me with the gun, 71 grain FMJs (as usual). What was VERY UNusual was the performance of those Europatronen--noticeably sharper recoil and report than the USA-made factory FMJ stuff, which barely makes 775 FPS in the Walther. I saved some of these GECOs for chronography, and they ran 875-900 FPS. Not a +P, just a full-potential loading--roughly 15% stronger than the usual run of 32 ACP fodder found in the States.

One project left undone prior to my recent move was to pour some boolits from a new-to-me mould provided by a member here, Lyman #311252. This is the caliber-specific Lyman design for the 32 ACP, and it will be among the first moulds to get warmed up after my casting table gets arranged.

txpete
08-20-2008, 06:27 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/txpete/walther765cast001.jpg

this lyman casts a good bullet and has been accurate in my walther PP.700X has turned some good groups and I am going to try some 231 next time out.
pete