PDA

View Full Version : Marlin 1895 Cowboy

TGM
08-19-2008, 01:24 PM
I recently became the owner of a 1895 Cowboy, while sighting it in I had to raise the rear sight to the fourth notch to hit the center of a target at 25 yds. The front sight seems to be a bit tall, would a shorter front sight correct this and not require the rear sight to be raised that much. Thanks for any help.

TGM

Bullshop
08-19-2008, 02:29 PM
yes it will

dgslyr
08-19-2008, 03:27 PM
25 yards is the first place that the bullet crosses the line of sight.It will cross the line of sight again at some point.That will be the range at which the rifle is zeroed.Shoot again at 100 yards and see what you get.You will probably have to move the sight again.25 yards will probably get you on the paper at 100 yards.

NickSS
08-20-2008, 10:02 AM
You will find that with BP velocity loads (1350 fps) that you can get your rifle on target with the original sights but you will not have enough elevation to get it on at 200 yards. I ended up replacing both my front sight and rear sight to get a more versitile rifle. I put a marbles rear tang sight and a lyman 17A globe sight on it. I picked the lowest lyman sight (I think it is .414". Now I can get on targets to 300 yards. When I use it for hunting I put a post in the front sight and switch to a Williams reciever sight. Works for me.

ebner glocken
08-21-2008, 06:06 AM
Mine shot low with factory sights. Not liking the factorys anyway I changed the rear to a williams FP and the lyman 17a globe front, this fixed the problem and made the gun have a nice "look". It does put me on target at 100 yd unfortunatly I haven't had a chance to shoot it any futher.

Ebner