PDA

View Full Version : Ruger no longer makes Lipsey .44 spec GP100

oldhenry
12-04-2017, 10:11 PM
I had a conversation today with a Customer Service representative @ Ruger about returning my GP100 Lipsey .44 spec. (for the 3rd time) & in the course of that conversation was told that the gun is no longer in production. On the 2nd. return they had replaced the frame (long story) and the gun had been built just for me.

It's a pity because the concept is good. I prefer a blued gun over SS & the 5" bbl. made for a very pleasant gun to shoot.

I assume they'll continue with the 3" SS model (don't now for sure because I didn't ask).

If anyone ever thought about getting one now is the time.......if you can find one.

Henry

osteodoc08
12-05-2017, 02:30 AM
Good info to know. Why did you have to return it?

Beagle333
12-05-2017, 02:35 AM
I really really wanted one when they first came out, then I saw all the problems being reported and didn't need that headache. It's just sad what Ruger is now, compared to what it once was. Even my long-awaited $900 Lipsey's .480 SBH had to go back for a swap because the first one they sent looked like I had built it using a hand grinder and a large hammer.

osteodoc08
12-05-2017, 02:39 AM
I really really wanted one when they first came out, then I saw all the problems being reported and didn't need that headache. It's just sad what Ruger is now, compared to what it once was. Even my long-awaited $900 Lipsey's .480 SBH had to go back for a swap because the first one they sent looked like I had built it using a hand grinder and a large hammer.

Love my 480 SBH.

Unfortunately Ruger has fallen to the bean counters and rushing getting out all they can over the last few years and have let their QC slack, as have most firearms manufacturers.

Clearly I must be clueless as far as the issues they're having. The 44 spec seems to be fairly straight forward in design.

Beagle333
12-05-2017, 02:46 AM
I love my current one (.480), after my local dealer flat out embarrassed his Lipsey's rep that they would send out something like that without apparently even opening the box. The second one was flawless.

I guess I would have to visit a shop and actually handle one of the 44sp GP's to have any confidence in one now.
I do love the GP's though. I have an original SS GP100 .357 that I bought in 1985 that is still running like it was new.

Three-Fifty-Seven
12-05-2017, 07:09 AM
s ...

Forrest r
12-05-2017, 07:39 AM
Love my 480 SBH.

Unfortunately Ruger has fallen to the bean counters and rushing getting out all they can over the last few years and have let their QC slack, as have most firearms manufacturers.
Actually the bean counters are spot on

Clearly I must be clueless as far as the issues they're having. The 44 spec seems to be fairly straight forward in design.

The real issue with rugers are the people that own them.

They consider rugers a "bargain" compared to other mfg's so they buy them and do a bunch of work on them. Then they talk about what they have done to them & how easy it was along with how much better the firearm is now. These things don't go unnoticed by ruger, they actually count on it. It's hard not to find a ruger thread without someone talking about their trigger job they did on their ruger/rugers. Add to that the replacing of grips/sights/internal parts along with cylinder work and using some sort of grit in the bbl.

I'm not bashing rugers, used to be a huge ruger fan. I quit buying them years ago because I refuse to have to work on a new firearm to make it right. That's goes for any mfg, not just ruger!!! If people would send their rugers back instead of fixing them, ruger would quit putting junk out.

Cheap doesn't = accepting 2nd class workmanship & expecting to have to work on the firearm to tweak it.

Bought a cheap taurus pt111 g2 for a beater/truck/shed gun. ($200) It has a more then acceptable trigger and has ran 5,000+ rounds in it without a single ftf/fte/misfire. If not it would have been sent back.
Bought a cheap savage axis, the $300 combo in 223 with the bull bbl, acru-trigger, plastic stock, scope & a $50 rebate. Sold the scope for $50 and ended up with $218 in the rifle ($18 tax). Did nothing to the cheap plastic stock, never even touched/adjusted the trigger, left it set to whatever it was when it left the factory. Used home swaged bullets made from 22lr cases, free range lead for cores, free mixed range brass that was sorted into 2 plies. Commercial in 1 pile & nato in the other pile. That rifle easily shot moa with home made bullets, mixed range brass and nothing done to the rifle. If that rifle wouldn't of shot moa it would of went back.

Shame on the people that buy rugers and then fix themselves. They have ruined it for everyone else!!! Ruger see's this and does just what you say, count beans/gamble. $xxx,xxx,xxx.00 per year in cutting corners/savings vs $xxx.xxx.00 coming back because some things the ruger owners just can't fix.

Not bashing ruger, bashing the people people that got ruger to this level. Namely the people that do everything they can themselves to them and then tell others how to do the same thing.

osteodoc08
12-05-2017, 10:16 AM
I've got plenty of Rugers. Don't recall sending a single one back or having to work on any. Of course I haven't bought any new ones lately. I have had to send a smith back for warranty work for light primer strikes. It has been flawless since.

Wait. I did send a Mark IV back so I guess the above only applies to centerfire arms.

oldhenry
12-05-2017, 11:19 AM
Good info to know. Why did you have to return it?
1st. time: needed polish/re-blue + fitting of hammer pivot pin (too tight)
2nd. time: needed new frame (they reamed hammer pivot pin too large & pin wouldn't stay in)
3rd. time (present): bbl. bore @ bbl./frame junction has marks on all 6 lands & 1 groove (?).

What started out as a simple fix turned into a nightmare...........it comes back with worse issues than when sent. In hindsight: on the 1st. return I should have requested polish/re-blue only & fitted the L. end of the hammer pivot pin myself (I keep kicking myself for not doing so).

The Customer Service people are nice, but something is getting lost between the CS & the techs.

Henry

oldhenry
12-05-2017, 11:26 AM

They consider rugers a "bargain" compared to other mfg's so they buy them and do a bunch of work on them. Then they talk about what they have done to them & how easy it was along with how much better the firearm is now. These things don't go unnoticed by ruger, they actually count on it. It's hard not to find a ruger thread without someone talking about their trigger job they did on their ruger/rugers. Add to that the replacing of grips/sights/internal parts along with cylinder work and using some sort of grit in the bbl.

I'm not bashing rugers, used to be a huge ruger fan. I quit buying them years ago because I refuse to have to work on a new firearm to make it right. That's goes for any mfg, not just ruger!!! If people would send their rugers back instead of fixing them, ruger would quit putting junk out.

Cheap doesn't = accepting 2nd class workmanship & expecting to have to work on the firearm to tweak it.

Bought a cheap taurus pt111 g2 for a beater/truck/shed gun. ($200) It has a more then acceptable trigger and has ran 5,000+ rounds in it without a single ftf/fte/misfire. If not it would have been sent back.
Bought a cheap savage axis, the $300 combo in 223 with the bull bbl, acru-trigger, plastic stock, scope & a $50 rebate. Sold the scope for $50 and ended up with $218 in the rifle ($18 tax). Did nothing to the cheap plastic stock, never even touched/adjusted the trigger, left it set to whatever it was when it left the factory. Used home swaged bullets made from 22lr cases, free range lead for cores, free mixed range brass that was sorted into 2 plies. Commercial in 1 pile & nato in the other pile. That rifle easily shot moa with home made bullets, mixed range brass and nothing done to the rifle. If that rifle wouldn't of shot moa it would of went back.

Shame on the people that buy rugers and then fix themselves. They have ruined it for everyone else!!! Ruger see's this and does just what you say, count beans/gamble. $xxx,xxx,xxx.00 per year in cutting corners/savings vs $xxx.xxx.00 coming back because some things the ruger owners just can't fix.

Not bashing ruger, bashing the people people that got ruger to this level. Namely the people that do everything they can themselves to them and then tell others how to do the same thing.

You are entitled to your opinion..................and I respect your opinion.

It so happens that I do a trigger/action job on all of my S&W revolvers + my 2 sons S&W revolvers & on those of close friends...........nothing major, but all can be improved.

Henry

FergusonTO35
12-05-2017, 11:29 AM
I think Ruger has too many irons in the fire, and as a result the company has spread themselves too thin. Right now, they have like eight different revolver product lines going? SP-101, GP-100, LCR, Redhawk, Super Redhawk, Single Six, Blackhawk, Super Blackhawk are what I can think of. And they make distributor specials and limited run calibers in each one.

DougGuy
12-05-2017, 12:02 PM

Plain and simple if you want to pay DOUBLE for the Ruger, FOLLOW FORREST'S ADVICE!! FORCE RUGER TO MAKE STUFF 'RIGHT!" Yeah buddy! That'll REALLY set the bean counters off!

Ruger is well known for being America's best "kit gun" but let me tell you how EASY AND AFFORDABLE it is to "tune" these revolvers to OUR liking simply because Ruger has not removed TOO MUCH metal from the hammer hooks and the cylinder throats that we can't "finish" them more consistently than the factory can afford to finish them, and if the factory had to throat cylinders to customer's requests, you could add another $275 - $300 to the cost of the gun.

Ya right. Bash the people that make Rugers AFFORDABLE.

bob208
12-05-2017, 12:40 PM
very strange I have 25 ruger hand guns. shoot them all never worked on any of them. some were used some were new. never a problem. last one I bought was a single six in .32 mag. took it out shot it and it worked like a dream and shot great.

Three-Fifty-Seven
12-05-2017, 01:54 PM
very strange I have 25 ruger hand guns. shoot them all never worked on any of them. some were used some were new. never a problem. last one I bought was a single six in .32 mag. took it out shot it and it worked like a dream and shot great.

Curious if any were built in the last 5 years?

lucifers
12-05-2017, 02:03 PM
Bill is gone, Ruger sucks. Look at the flagship No.1 if you need convincing.

They no longer look like this.

Outpost75
12-05-2017, 02:11 PM
I've had people tell me that when C.E. Harris from NRA tech staff was hired by WBR, Sr. to take over QA for their government contracts that quality was superb. He left the company in 1988 and went to work for the gov't. The QA manual and procedures implemented in the 1980s hung on for some time, but I think by the time the inspectors and customer service staff trained in that era retired, after about 2005? some things may have started to slide. I don't have any Rugers after 2005, so can't speak of current production from personal experience. Earlier stuff was all good.

white eagle
12-05-2017, 02:59 PM
I have had more trouble with their 45 colts than anything
never could get one to shoot worth a hoot

Dusty Ed
12-05-2017, 07:14 PM
Beagle I will let you know tomorrow night ,I'm picking up A GP100 44spl. 3"bbl. SS ,I ordered from GUN PRIME

Beagle333
12-05-2017, 07:17 PM
I'm picking up A GP100 44spl. 3"bbl. SS ,I ordered from GUN PRIME
Good luck with it!!! :D I hope it looks like a new Ruger should look like. :popcorn:

osteodoc08
12-05-2017, 08:04 PM
Beagle I will let you know tomorrow night ,I'm picking up A GP100 44spl. 3"bbl. SS ,I ordered from GUN PRIME

I'd love to know how you like it as well.

FergusonTO35
12-05-2017, 11:19 PM
Anybody know if Ruger is using MIM action parts? I'm not MIM bashing, just interested to know. My MIM guns work just fine and I shoot them alot.

Forrest r
12-06-2017, 07:31 AM
Plain and simple if you want to pay DOUBLE for the Ruger, FOLLOW FORREST'S ADVICE!! FORCE RUGER TO MAKE STUFF 'RIGHT!" Yeah buddy! That'll REALLY set the bean counters off!

Ruger is well known for being America's best "kit gun" but let me tell you how EASY AND AFFORDABLE it is to "tune" these revolvers to OUR liking simply because Ruger has not removed TOO MUCH metal from the hammer hooks and the cylinder throats that we can't "finish" them more consistently than the factory can afford to finish them, and if the factory had to throat cylinders to customer's requests, you could add another $275 - $300 to the cost of the gun.

Ya right. Bash the people that make Rugers AFFORDABLE.

Sorry you feel this way.
There's a huge difference between tweaking a firearm and fixing issues that never should of been there to begin with. Affordable doesn't mean having to buy sights to fit the over-sized/sloppy milling, hammer dings/tool marks, corkscrew forcing cones, pins that fall out, cylinder holes that are so far out you get mobd (minute of barn door) accuracy, etc. Taurus has always been "affordable" and a **** shoot whether they get sent back or not. Ruger has becoming the new taurus.

For the record:
Everyone must automatically think I'm a s&w fanboy. Reality, the revolvers I own/use/shoot
I own 2 factory s&w's ( 1 being a beater truck gun/629 I bought used over a decade ago that rolled around in the toolbox of the back of my truck for 5+years)
1 ppc s&w built in the 1990's
2 dan wessons
2 charter arms

lucifers
12-06-2017, 09:29 AM
Recently bought an American in 270 mica color. It was cheap (<$300) shoots well (MOA) trigger is ok 3.5 lb) BUT when you operate the bolt, the "grouchin" and "grindin" can be heard in the next county.

I could slather up the bolt/receiver with valve grinding compound, sit watching the VIEW and cycle the bolt 1000 time to make it smooth but ----- I'd rather go out and spraypaint the Hilterly bumper stickers I still see.

FISH4BUGS
12-06-2017, 02:18 PM

If you can figure out how to get the trigger group off without the use of explosives, let me know. I have been trying for over a year.
Customer service has talked me through it and it still wont release. I have watched the YouTube videos so many times I know them by heart.
It is going back if one more time it doesn't work.

jem102
12-06-2017, 03:34 PM
Wow, I tinker with mine because I sort of enjoy it...

doc1876
12-06-2017, 03:46 PM
I am sorry to hear all of this. I am not a fan of Ruger, but I do own 2, one being the Lipsey Bisley in .44 sp. Yes I had to send it back, but it was really an easy fix for them. The loading gate somehow messed the locking up. Anyway, I like it, and am happy to have one.

lefty o
12-06-2017, 04:37 PM
Anybody know if Ruger is using MIM action parts? I'm not MIM bashing, just interested to know. My MIM guns work just fine and I shoot them alot.

plenty of MIM inside current rugers.

RJM52
12-06-2017, 04:58 PM
...I also must be one of the luck ones... I've had well over 50 Rugers and the worst thing that ever happened is the laminated stock on a .308 stainless Frontier split right behind the receiver...

In the last five years:
(3) MKIII Hunters...all flawless
4.2" Redhawk .41 Magnum
2.75" Redhawk .41 Magnum
.327 LCR
9mm LCR
.38 Special LCR
18.5" stainless GSR in .308 (sticky ejector but that worked itself out)

Several friends have bought the American rifles in several different calibers with no issues along with several others that have bought GSRs...

Having been a big S&W fan, I now find the fit and finish of Ruger (revolvers at least) much better than the Smiths...

Bob

JSH
12-06-2017, 05:21 PM
I won't say my Rugers are flawless, but easily fixable. I had bought several other revolvers a few years ago, brand new in the box by one of the other well known makers, what a mess. I could have sent it back, but I didn't.
Buddy bought a SW out of a collection, brand new unfired in the box, but it had a turn line on the cylinder ever so slight. Had huge expectations for it as a bullseye recolver. Would hardly shoot in a bucket, cylinder pinned at .360+. Sent it back and it is within specs on everything. We worked around it and got it to shoot, but not the taxi driver he had hoped for.

Times have changed, and I can't say for the better. Pretty much don't have to like it, but may as well accept it.
Folks don't necessarily want FA, they would style for Python quality. So look at a python price, used to boot. Saw one a month back that was well worn and freckles$1000 and the guy couldn't get his money out fast enough.

nicholst55
12-06-2017, 05:58 PM
There is a distinct difference between being affordable, and being made with no quality control. Grips that don't fit, guns that simply don't work does not equate to affordable in my book. It equates to a lack of QC. It's like my first squad leader told me 40+ years ago 'There's never time to do the job right the first time, but there's always time to do it over.'

Myself, I'm done buying Rugers until they improve on their QC. If more took the same approach, thing would change.

wildcatter
12-06-2017, 05:59 PM

May not bashing, but you are sure dreaming! Do you realize Ruger revolvers are the Number One Customized revolver brands in the world, especially the single actions. That is for one reason, people put thousands of dollars in them because they are worth it when their done, most don't spend that kind of money on other manufacturers arms because,, well lets just say their not going to get the same return? Even in 1911's more custom brands are customized than even Colt's, but now that Ruger stepped into this arena a few years back I expect that change as well?

Some people have a different conception of being good enough! Rugers are a bargain, and unlike some manufacturers guns as some you have described and others you haven't, some much more expensive, I have never stretched a frame on a Ruger,, I have on your other good enough makes as well os those others, along with bulged cylinders. Like I said your good enough is far from mine.

The other thing is some think good enough is hitting a pie plate at 15 or 25 yards, when some understand if made good enough they will hit golf ball's at 50 yards. some think a 3 or 4 pound trigger is good enough, and a 2 or 2.5 pounds is unsafe. Some are experienced enough to understand and appreciate the 2 pound trigger, or some like overtravel even to the extent of liking two stage triggers, other expect when they move that trigger the slightest bit it should release that hammer.

Most can tell a lot about a shooter by what he "expects" from a firearm, as well as what to expect from those that are willing to settle for, good enough. Plus some understand what some guns are capable of, and don't bother trying for the same outcome with other brands!

this is what I have come to expect from any Ruger I own, and don't expect to pay the prices other guns cost that will do it.

I for one would hope Ruger keeps the prices where they are at so with 50 or a hundred bucks I can finish them the way I want and make them shoot as good as any revolver costing 4X as much, and that's what I have found I have to pay to get anything that will compete with the Ruger out of the box. In appearance or performance. Cause nothing costing less will do it, and this what you get fer 4x as much

Like I say if it won't do that it aint good enough, "for me", and that I can assure with the factory minimum trigger job, is not as sweet as My 1hr. freebee on them Rugers above, but this one is a little tighter and prettier, but for over 1500 dollars more it should be.

I can also assure you if you ever expect Ruger to spit out of the factory to do what those above do,,, you'll paying for one what I paid for three of them. To think different is living in a fantasy world.

If I'm wrong feel free to display just how great that Taurus or any of them costing the same thing or less performs, I'm sorry but I spent a lot of years understanding you get what you pay for, I'll spend a few dollars and a little time, rather than expecting to get the same thing without paying for it, and NO! I won't settle fer less. To me that would be called back'n up!

9.3X62AL
12-06-2017, 06:41 PM
I guess I am one of those evil buyers that turns wrenches on broke stuff and finishes building things that snuck out early. As if it ain't bad enough living in California already.

I have a recent Ruger--an SP-101 x 327 x 4.2". The double-action trigger stroke's resistance is only exceeded by that of my 1916-vintage Tula-made Nagant 1895 revolver in 7.62 x 38R. The SP-101's stalwart character is moderating as usage continues, but I doubt that it will "wear in" to acceptable levels anytime this century. I keep meaning to buy/install a Wolff kit, but since the revolver is not an everyday carry item the matter gets shuffled off to Buffalo and re-prioritized.

I don't have any special insight into Ruger's marketing strategies, and being the somewhat function-fussy crank that I am--I tend to fix things that irritate me first, then work toward the annoyances, and eventually get around to the superfluous stuff on slow days or when I'm bored. It took almost 3 years for me to hone the throats of my Bisley Blackhawk x 45 Colt, and even with the thing built backwards it still shot one bullet fairly well. Now it shoots a LOT of designs REALLY well, and more so after throwing out the tungsten-carbide sizer die and going Old School with a steel sizer. Brass lives a lot longer, too. No more Coke-bottle reloads.

Yeah, guns should land at the LGS ready-to-roll. Some still do. Glock and SIG-Sauer pistols have a very good rep for ready to carry into combat right out of the box. Over a dozen of these makes/models reside here, and every one of them has been cat-quick and race-ready right outta the box. Rugers are not what they once were, neither are S&W revolvers. Colt is a shadow of its former self. At least Ruger and S&W still exist.

oldhenry
12-06-2017, 07:27 PM
May not bashing, but you are sure dreaming! Do you realize Ruger revolvers are the Number One Customized revolver brands in the world, especially the single actions. That is for one reason, people put thousands of dollars in them because they are worth it when their done, most don't spend that kind of money on other manufacturers arms because,, well lets just say their not going to get the same return? Even in 1911's more custom brands are customized than even Colt's, but now that Ruger stepped into this arena a few years back I expect that change as well?

Some people have a different conception of being good enough! Rugers are a bargain, and unlike some manufacturers guns as some you have described and others you haven't, some much more expensive, I have never stretched a frame on a Ruger,, I have on your other good enough makes as well os those others, along with bulged cylinders. Like I said your good enough is far from mine.

The other thing is some think good enough is hitting a pie plate at 15 or 25 yards, when some understand if made good enough they will hit golf ball's at 50 yards. some think a 3 or 4 pound trigger is good enough, and a 2 or 2.5 pounds is unsafe. Some are experienced enough to understand and appreciate the 2 pound trigger, or some like overtravel even to the extent of liking two stage triggers, other expect when they move that trigger the slightest bit it should release that hammer.

Most can tell a lot about a shooter by what he "expects" from a firearm, as well as what to expect from those that are willing to settle for, good enough. Plus some understand what some guns are capable of, and don't bother trying for the same outcome with other brands!

this is what I have come to expect from any Ruger I own, and don't expect to pay the prices other guns cost that will do it.

I for one would hope Ruger keeps the prices where they are at so with 50 or a hundred bucks I can finish them the way I want and make them shoot as good as any revolver costing 4X as much, and that's what I have found I have to pay to get anything that will compete with the Ruger out of the box. In appearance or performance. Cause nothing costing less will do it, and this what you get fer 4x as much

Like I say if it won't do that it aint good enough, "for me", and that I can assure with the factory minimum trigger job, is not as sweet as My 1hr. freebee on them Rugers above, but this one is a little tighter and prettier, but for over 1500 dollars more it should be.

I can also assure you if you ever expect Ruger to spit out of the factory to do what those above do,,, you'll paying for one what I paid for three of them. To think different is living in a fantasy world.

If I'm wrong feel free to display just how great that Taurus or any of them costing the same thing or less performs, I'm sorry but I spent a lot of years understanding you get what you pay for, I'll spend a few dollars and a little time, rather than expecting to get the same thing without paying for it, and NO! I won't settle fer less. To me that would be called back'n up!

Wildcatter, you are my hero!

Nice looking groups!

The purpose of me starting this thread was not to bad mouth Ruger, but to let everyone know that the .44 spec. Lipsey is no longer in production.

My Rugers: 4 SA, 2 DA, 1911 & a MKII .22 auto. This Lipsey .44 is the only problem gun & I blame myself for them over reaming the hammer pivot pin hole (I should have fitted it myself).

Henry

DougGuy
12-06-2017, 08:01 PM
The purpose of me starting this thread was not to bad mouth Ruger, but to let everyone know that the .44 spec. Lipsey is no longer in production.

My Rugers: 4 SA, 2 DA, 1911 & a MKII .22 auto. This Lipsey .44 is the only problem gun & I blame myself for them over reaming the hammer pivot pin hole (I should have fitted it myself).

Henry

I didn't get the impression from your post that you were bad mouthing Ruger.

Ironic that the one post that DID bad mouth Ruger owners, was written by a member who by his own admission, doesn't even own one. If someone is gonna talk trash to me or about me, and say that I am the problem not the gun, at least let them speak with the voice of experience.

oldhenry
12-06-2017, 08:19 PM
If you can figure out how to get the trigger group off without the use of explosives, let me know. I have been trying for over a year.
Customer service has talked me through it and it still wont release. I have watched the YouTube videos so many times I know them by heart.
It is going back if one more time it doesn't work.

FISH4BUGS,
I cobbled up 2 simple tools that allowed me to remove a stubborn GP100, Security Six/Speed Six trigger group & they are in the attached photo.

My problem stemmed from the fact that I could eventually depress the trigger return spring plunger with a 3/32" punch, but didn't have enough hand strength to hold it down long enough to simultaneously put enough pressure on the trigger guard to allow removal.

I sourced a section of my wife's hardwood curtain rod trimming (1 3/16" dia.) & drilled a hole in it's center to hold the big end of a 3/32" punch (you'll notice that I over-drilled the hole, but a little masking tape solved that problem). I also have a section of 5/16" dowel that I use to persuade small parts with out marring what I'm trying to persuade.

The large hardwood rod makes a good handle.

With the mainspring & hammer removed, with the bbl. vertical (muzzle down against a rubber mat or any padding) I depressed the plunger. While I am holding the plunger down, my wife holds the 5/16" dowel against the inside of the trigger guard & gives it a slight tap (we used a wood mallet to prevent a glancing blow from causing harm). You may need a 2nd. tap to get results.

Afterwards I polished the plunger to make things easier the next time.

I hope this helps.

Henry

Three-Fifty-Seven
12-06-2017, 08:41 PM

wildcatter
12-06-2017, 10:12 PM
Wildcatter, you are my hero!

Nice looking groups!

Henry

No I didn't take it that way, and was not directing this towards you. I only commented to the poster that condemn those that take the effort to put a few dollars and a little effort into a gun that will deliver the goods without the price tag of the perfect gun. Trust me the only way you are going to get perfection is pay for it, I know I have owned a few near perfection guns, my Les Baer Premier 1.5", my Freedom Arms Premier Grade 83's, My Panda's and Bat's, and trust me, I paid dearly for each one of them with their factory refinements.

But for those more like me with a taste for fine wine, and a pocket book better suited to Boones Farm, I like fact that I can can buy a firearm that can be refined for very little on your own, without a degree, to perform better than most others, with a little finishing touches done on your own, without over paying for them.

That is Ruger, if you don't want to have anything left to give attention to, buy one of those, but take a few grand with you to do it. If you can't afford to build the arsenal you want investing in those guns, I haven't found any others as capable as the Ruger's for me personally that cost so little. As for your problem, trust me, it happens with them all. I had a Freedom Arms Model 83 Premier Grade 454, that just seemed to be very finicky and hard to get satisfactory accuracy from it. A trip to John in the CS and he found a new cylinder was called for and installed at no charge. I forget the reason for the problem but trust me, it does happen's! Just not as often when you spend 4X as much, which I also can understand.

But there are many I have been educated by, over the past 40 years especially, that have educated me, and made me aware of the little things, and how basic they can be once you've been their But they sure weren't little things when I had never dealt with them before. I will also say some the most successful pistolerros that are well known world wide, that have mastered some of the most accurate, and powerful revolvers on earth, seem to be very fond of the Ruger brand as well. That goes for some of the most respected and qualified gunsmiths on earth as well. It is just a fact that you can't have everything for nothing, perfection cost big money, and the closer you get to it the more it cost. I have found nothing else at these prices to offer as much as the Rugers I invest in.

Dorf
12-06-2017, 11:46 PM
Wildcatter: I like the last sentence of yours; "I have found nothing else at these prices to offer as much as the Rugers I invest in." I heartily agree. I bought my first Ruger in 1952 ( Standard .22 $37.50), the second one in 1955 (.357 Blackhawk $87.50) and was completely satisfied with them both. Most recent purchases: a MkIII Target 512 Model, a Mk IV Hunter, an SR1911 (.45 ACP) and An SR1911 (10 mm). Admittedly the prices have changed over the years, but I am completely satisfied that I still got a bargin and they all perform in excess of my expectations. They are still a lot of gun for the $$$. Hope this helps, Stan

Forrest r
12-07-2017, 07:19 AM
I didn't get the impression from your post that you were bad mouthing Ruger.

Ironic that the one post that DID bad mouth Ruger owners, was written by a member who by his own admission, doesn't even own one. If someone is gonna talk trash to me or about me, and say that I am the problem not the gun, at least let them speak with the voice of experience.

Odd, never brought your name up in any post.
Don't know where you got I trash talked you or about you??? Please by all means point out a single post in my 1190+ history of posts where I said 1 word about you that wasn't positive. Heck I've not only posted here but on other websites praising your work and telling people to contact you because you can make their **** right and tight.

Right now you're the only 1 bad mouthing people, go figure!!!
This is what I posted that you didn't like:
"Not bashing ruger, bashing the people people that got ruger to this level. Namely the people that do everything they can themselves to them and then tell others how to do the same thing."

By all means show posts where you told everyone step by step how to do the things to rugers you do to make $$$ when you work on them!!!

I also posted this:
"I quit buying them years ago because I refuse to have to work on a new firearm to make it right. That's goes for any mfg, not just ruger!!! If people would send their rugers back instead of fixing them, ruger would quit putting junk out."

I don't own rugers for a reason, seeing how you missed it in my 1st post I re-posted my statement about owning rugers again. Just for you.

But you do have a dog in this fight seeing how you make $$$ off of fixing the bs ruger puts out. Myself I could care less and tend to stay away from firearms/mfg's that have a lot of qc issues.

Forrest r
12-07-2017, 08:32 AM
No I didn't take it that way, and was not directing this towards you. I only commented to the poster that condemn those that take the effort to put a few dollars and a little effort into a gun that will deliver the goods without the price tag of the perfect gun. Trust me the only way you are going to get perfection is pay for it, I know I have owned a few near perfection guns, my Les Baer Premier 1.5", my Freedom Arms Premier Grade 83's, My Panda's and Bat's, and trust me, I paid dearly for each one of them with their factory refinements.

But for those more like me with a taste for fine wine, and a pocket book better suited to Boones Farm, I like fact that I can can buy a firearm that can be refined for very little on your own, without a degree, to perform better than most others, with a little finishing touches done on your own, without over paying for them.

That is Ruger, if you don't want to have anything left to give attention to, buy one of those, but take a few grand with you to do it. If you can't afford to build the arsenal you want investing in those guns, I haven't found any others as capable as the Ruger's for me personally that cost so little. As for your problem, trust me, it happens with them all. I had a Freedom Arms Model 83 Premier Grade 454, that just seemed to be very finicky and hard to get satisfactory accuracy from it. A trip to John in the CS and he found a new cylinder was called for and installed at no charge. I forget the reason for the problem but trust me, it does happen's! Just not as often when you spend 4X as much, which I also can understand.

But there are many I have been educated by, over the past 40 years especially, that have educated me, and made me aware of the little things, and how basic they can be once you've been their But they sure weren't little things when I had never dealt with them before. I will also say some the most successful pistolerros that are well known world wide, that have mastered some of the most accurate, and powerful revolvers on earth, seem to be very fond of the Ruger brand as well. That goes for some of the most respected and qualified gunsmiths on earth as well. It is just a fact that you can't have everything for nothing, perfection cost big money, and the closer you get to it the more it cost. I have found nothing else at these prices to offer as much as the Rugers I invest in.

There's a difference between condenming someone and stating that ruger seeing all the home gunsmithing. The end result is where ruger is at now. The sad part is there are people out there that don't know how to do these things. Along with why have to do these things to begin with. In this day and age piss poor machining is typically done by monkeys with broken hacksaw blade. Monkey's with broken hacksaw blades ='s 2/1000th's or more is good enough for the simple things like holes/slots/tolerances/etc.

Thank you for posting those excellent pictures of the groups you can do with your tricked out/tuned rugers. Very impressive!!! What all did you do to those rugers to get them to shoot like that??? Perhaps you could give me some pointers???? That beater 629 that I threw in a tool box and drove around for 5 years is giving me fits. No matter what I do I keep getting 5 holes touching and 1 out. Guess I either got to hone the 1 hole in the cylinder or live with it. The things all beat to **** from things like hammers and pry bars being thrown on it but it still manages to hold the x-ring @25yds. Perhaps 1 day I might break down and "tinker" with it.
https://i.imgur.com/yqD3bGS.jpg

Was looking for a revolver to shoot shotgun shells @ 50ft. Some people shoot bowling pins @25ft. We put up 12ga shotgun shells @50ft and shoot them using the same rules/table used for bowling pins. Was looking at the gp 100 match champions, actually 6 of them. Ended up buying a 686. Don't know if I made the right choice or not. This is all I could get out of that box stock 686. Not hand picked targets by any means, nothing more than the targets used to test loads for shooting shotgun shells, 6-shot groups @ 50ft.
https://i.imgur.com/qPiOeN8.jpg

Don't shoot at any distance that much anymore with pistols/revolvers. When I do it's only smallbore silhouettes/100yd max. I use a contender to go against the smallbore rifle guys. sometimes I get the bear, sometimes the bear gets me. Anyway another box stock firearm.
https://i.imgur.com/hbdvMXh.jpg

Don't shoot 50yd bullseye anymore but I did work a load up for 1 of my box stock 1911's just in case (springfield armory range officer).
https://i.imgur.com/zKnJ3Jy.jpg

I do like to shoot issf events and use these box stock affordable pistols. No tweaking needed other then filing the grips to fit my hold. But then again they do come with 4-way/5-way adjustable triggers. 50m/25/10m pistols
https://i.imgur.com/YyeYw7R.jpg

I do understand tinkers & I figured if I'm going to "Tinker" with something it might as well be with a firearm that is actually made to be tinkered with.
https://i.imgur.com/T0ngH1D.jpg

That's the owning 2 dan wessons thing:
It's nothing to change bbl's/bbl lengths with the dw's. Talking about bbl's, I'm running 1 in 16's and 1 in 10's right now. Thinking about buying a couple 1 in 12's just to tinker with. Talking about tinkering with bbl's, it's nothing to put different angles throating in them to test specif bullet designs along with setting the bbl gap ( 1/100th,2/1000th's,3/1000th's/etc) and of course using a torque wrench to tension the bbl to specific loads. And then there's always the different profiled barrel shrouds for the bbl's that are plain/ribbed/vented ribbed/heavy/drilled & tapped/2 1/2",4",6",8",10",15"/magna-ported. And of course there always different front and rear sights to choose from. I like the partridge front sights so I have a set of them that are 6 different heights. Muzzle breaks are always fun and there's no special tooling/machining required for cans.

Anyway rugers aren't the only game in town and even with a bunch of tweaking/tuning/gunsmithing/special molds/etc, they still are only club level revolvers.

osteodoc08
12-07-2017, 09:39 AM
Alright gentlemen. Let's please keep the thread on the rails. The thread was started about the Lipsey GP 100 production ending. Let's refocus.

oldhenry
12-07-2017, 10:45 AM
Alright gentlemen. Let's please keep the thread on the rails. The thread was started about the Lipsey GP 100 production ending. Let's refocus.

Amen!

Henry

wildcatter
12-07-2017, 01:37 PM
yes it is starting it get real deep. I think they can still be had as Lipseys is still cataloging, so there may still be some in stock, and your right a 44 special in double action with the GP-100's strength don't exist at any price.

AnthonyB
12-07-2017, 02:50 PM
I have both the 3 and 5 inch GP100 44 Specials. I cannot get the trigger pivot pin out of the 5 inch, 3 inch is easy. A visit to the Ruger forum provided no help and I was told I didn't need to take it apart anyway. Should have asked here first. Is there a fix for this problem besides sending it back to Ruger?
Tony

Beagle333
12-07-2017, 07:26 PM
If'n you old hens ain't skeered him off yet.... lets hear from Dusty Ed on his newest purchase and the quality of it upon arrival. :popcorn:

Three-Fifty-Seven
12-07-2017, 07:31 PM
m ...

AnthonyB
12-07-2017, 08:22 PM
Thanks for the information. I can't get it to move at all, and have already tried a plastic hammer. I haven't tried a brass punch yet but that is the next logical step.
Tony

oldhenry
12-07-2017, 08:33 PM
I have both the 3 and 5 inch GP100 44 Specials. I cannot get the trigger pivot pin out of the 5 inch, 3 inch is easy. A visit to the Ruger forum provided no help and I was told I didn't need to take it apart anyway. Should have asked here first. Is there a fix for this problem besides sending it back to Ruger?
Tony

This seemingly simple issue is exactly what caused my Lipsey GP .44 spec. problem.

I was able to remove it with a hardwood dowel sharpened in a pencil sharpener & then flatted to about an 1/8" end. An authoritative tap with a hammer using this should move the pin. A proper size brass punch will do the same thing.

There were other issues & I innocently requested that Ruger correct the size of the hammer pivot pin hole on the left side..........DON'T MAKE THAT MISTAKE!

They over reamed the hole & ruined the frame.

I'd suggest that you carefully remove a very slight amount of material from the last 1/8" of that pin by hand with fine emery paper a small amount at a time. You need a slight interference fit (believe me it's better tight that loose). After they over reamed the frame the pin would work itself out & after about 8-10 shots would be free of the cut-out on the right side of the frame & would rotate counter clockwise.

Henry

DougGuy
12-11-2017, 08:28 PM
Right now you're the only 1 bad mouthing people, go figure!!!
This is what I posted that you didn't like:
"Not bashing ruger, bashing the people people that got ruger to this level. Namely the people that do everything they can themselves to them and then tell others how to do the same thing."

Yes I resembled the remark as did anyone else who owns Rugers that sought to have them either modified, tweaked, repaired, in short anyone who is not holding Ruger's feet to the fire is assumed to be part of the problem with their level of quality. I found it a bit peculiar that the post advising how Ruger owners should force Ruger to change their ways came from someone who doesn't own Rugers.

Without going any farther off topic of the OP I hope I have explained myself.

I don't have need of a 44 caliber DA revolver, if I did I think I would look for a S&W Model 69 rather than the 44Special GP 100. Why there are so many bad reviews of this gun doesn't have anything to do with the caliber OR the frame they chambered it to, it seemingly has to do with mistake after mistake at the Ruger engineering department.