PDA

View Full Version : loads for the 6.5x55 swedish mauser

Bullshop Junior
11-20-2005, 12:12 AM
This is bs jrx2, I am going to start posting here in bullshop junior's name. Any way to my post..I have been expimenting with my 6.5x55 with 140 gn Luverin boolit, I shot about a 1 1/2 group today, it was off the bulls eye. I am going to site my gun in for that load tomorrow. It was 53 gn of accurate arms 8700 .
cci#200 large rifle primer.
with the 140 gn Luverin boolit.
I have a 2 1/2 power scope on my 6.5x55. I am also using remington peters brass.
Daniel made up a laod for his 30/30 shot about as good with iron sites!
Tony/bs jrx2

jh45gun
11-20-2005, 02:12 AM
Hey ya stole my signature line/ :) Just kidding that is a heck of a line I liked the movie a Classic before its time. I liked it so much I could not afford a Sharps but did built a Remington Rolling Block in 45/70

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v454/jh45gun/RemRoller.jpg

rugerman1
11-20-2005, 05:17 AM
:hijack:
http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/P/B00005LOL0.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Elliott Marston: Ah ha. Legendary Sharps.
Matthew Quigley: You know your weapons. It's a lever-action, breech loader. Usual barrel length's thirty inches. This one has an extra four. It's converted to use a special forty-five caliber, hundred and ten grain metal cartridge, with a five-hundred forty grain paper patch bullet. It's fitted with double set triggers, and a Vernier sight. It's marked up to twelve-hundred yards. This one shoots a mite further.
Elliott Marston: An experimental weapon with experimental ammunition.
Matthew Quigley: You could call it that.
Elliott Marston: Let's experiment. http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/emoticons7/77.gif

Matthew Quigley & Burt Gummer are two of the coolest guys in recent movie history! :cool:

Buckshot
11-20-2005, 07:35 AM
..........So Tony. Lessee here, you're using 53.0grs of 8700 and a 140gr Loverin slug, and you got a 1.5" group? I'm assuming this was a CAST slug as jacketed Loverins are scarce. The reason I want to clear all this up and make sure it was a cast lead boolit is that that charge should have had the slug going a good 2,000 fps or more.

............Buckshot

swheeler
11-20-2005, 01:41 PM
BSJRX2; If I remember right it was a built up from parts M96, so 29 inch barrel. You should be getting over 2400 fps at about 35Kpsi, that would be in the neighborhood of 230,000 plus RPM's for the boolit, you most definetly have the alloy RIGHT!

Bullshop
11-20-2005, 04:23 PM
Hello all, this is BS Sr. or BS#1 or the most BS which ever you prefer. Just want to point out a couple things here. Tony BS JrX2 is ten years old so try to see his posts that way. Bs Jr is his idal and they shoot and hunt together almost dayly,(if thier not in trouble with BSM. To a ten year old two shots together is a group even if 8 other shots were in 8 different groups. I can only ask that they be encoraged and not held to quite the same standerd of shooting that we think as normal.
In the case of the 6.5 sweed of yesterday Tony did shoot a nice little three shot group. He is in process of working up a load and the three is what he had but has loaded more with same.
What he left out is he was shooting at 30 yards on our pistal range. Thats my point I think most assumed it was 100.(Higher standerd) So even though it has not happened that anyone has tried to belittle the boys I ask for gentle encoragment and judged by a different standerd least they be discoraged and turn away. Remember these young ones of today carry the future of shooting and hunting. Hence forth I shall try to make shure they include all the detail in thier posts so there is no confusion.
BIC/BS

swheeler
11-20-2005, 06:35 PM
BIG BS: understood! A few more of those loads and you might have to help him get the lead out of the barrel???
Scooter

Oldfeller
11-20-2005, 06:42 PM
Naw, if you fill all the lube grooves the swede doesn't lead - no matter how much you abuse it speed-wise. You can crank it up until the gun snaps over on its side and the bullet doesn't arrive on the backboard and it still won't lead.

You can powder foul a swede very badly though, especially shooting IMR 5010 powder. The fouling is very hard and tough to remove.

Oldfeller

Bullshop
11-21-2005, 03:37 AM
I did some more experimenting today and..well..you see maybe I did ..well.. have a load that did not shoot very well, in other words it shot bad! Not too bad, just not as good as I first thought. I only shot two out of two were touching..so maybe I thought that it was a good load. It turns out it was bad. The funny thing is the holes in the paper were not round, kind of round on one side but ragedy on the other side and shaped a little like an egg. I am going to try 10.0gn of unique with the same bullet and primer. I will post the results tomorrow.
bs jrx2/tony

Buckshot
11-21-2005, 08:21 AM
.............No discourageing words from me, ever :D Just a request for more info. Heck, I figured the young lad might have found the Holy Grail! Even failures teach.

I know a caseload of WC872 (about 57grs) will send a 140gr Hornady out of a M38's 24" bbl at 2700 fps.

...........Buckshot

KevMT
11-21-2005, 03:24 PM
Nice going fellas. You've taken a thread started by a youngster interested in our hobby (Something we should encourage) and turned it into something that belongs on a bathroom wall. You should be proud of yourselves KevD

StarMetal
11-21-2005, 04:05 PM
Well I'll tell ya what, I pulled my post. I meant nothing to Bullshop and the Jr's..all very honorable, respectible, and of the cloth. I won't say that for others though.

Joe

45nut
11-21-2005, 09:32 PM
Nice going fellas. You've taken a thread started by a youngster interested in our hobby (Something we should encourage) and turned it into something that belongs on a bathroom wall. You should be proud of yourselves KevD
I see a lot of self-deleted posts here,I just hope that everyone took a deep breath here.....
I guess I should read positives into the missing posts.
We are nearing the season of thanks and giving aren't we?
:coffeecom

Bullshop
11-21-2005, 11:41 PM
I tryed 10.0gn of unique today, it shot a whole lot better than yesterday. With five shots I shot a two inch group, three almost touching and two just out, it was a great group but it was hitting a little to the left. I think I am going to stick with this load! All I need to do is move over my scope adjustment. THANK YOU for all the hellp.
bs jrx2/tony

swheeler
11-21-2005, 11:48 PM
JR: that is nice and mild to shoot in that big old Swede isn't it. Just think you can get 700 rds out a single pound of powder, thats a lot of bunnies!!!
Scooter

KevMT
11-22-2005, 12:27 AM
Good going tony! I think it's time to introduce your new load to a few pop cans. If you fill them with water they'll blow up when you hit them. Have fun and be safe.
My son who is 15 shoots a 6.5 swede too. We are hoping that the new 6.5 Kurtz mold will give us a fun Plinking load. If you want to try some of these boolits have your dad send me a private message.

Kev

MT Gianni
11-23-2005, 12:21 AM
Nice shooting Tony. How far away were you? We are a curious and enquiring bunch here. Gianni.

9.3X62AL
11-23-2005, 02:09 PM
Dittoes from the People's Republic, too. Good shooting with a challenging caliber for cast boolits. I'm working on the return of a Ruger 77R in 6.5 x 55 that I sold a friend a few years ago, and it was GREAT with the red-coated pretender bullets--never tried the true path in that caliber. The Bullshop Entourage's fine work with the 223 and 6.5 calibers is well outside my abilities, I do believe.

Bret4207
11-24-2005, 08:52 AM
Way to go Tony. Keep loading and squeezing the trigger. You'll get a workable load at some point.

Re- deleted posts. I didn't see them, but can imagine the slant they took. Thats why we have think before we post something.... controvesial. I've mentioned my son reads this board. Thats we I sometimes throw a hissy fit when things get too "manly" around here. It's simple respect.

1Shirt
12-13-2005, 08:50 PM
Tony, I have had good luck with that bullet and 17gr. of Rl-7, you might want to give it a try. Good luck with your shooting and hunting! Stay with it, and you will have a lifetime of enjoyment!
1Shirt