PDA

View Full Version : balance lead powder primmers

Dave C.
12-02-2017, 01:06 PM
Do you have a balance of lead powder and primmers so that all your supplies get used up with none left over?

JimB..
12-02-2017, 01:26 PM
it never works out that way for me. I have more primers because I buy them on sale, I have less lead because it’s heavy, and I have way more pistol brass because it’s currently super cheap or free. Honestly I don’t know what I have in powder.

lightman
12-02-2017, 01:58 PM
It never works that way for me either. I have way more lead than I have cases, primers or powder. Probably because I have been at this long enough that I was doing it when lead was free and plentiful. Also, while the shelf life on properly stored primers and powder is very long, lead does not go bad.

I just noticed your tag line under your post. It looks like you may have been in the game a while yourself!

farmerjim
12-02-2017, 02:08 PM
No. I tend to buy in bulk when things are on sale.

rancher1913
12-02-2017, 02:35 PM
I asked a similar question, only frased it as a general rule of thumb for stocking up on powder and primer so the two kinda sorta run out together. You might read the replies there if you don't get many answers here.

dondiego
12-02-2017, 02:44 PM
Hopefully, my supplies will never get all used up either.

runfiverun
12-02-2017, 03:57 PM
I bought more than I could use in 25 years, and then add to it when I get the opportunity or start to use more of one thing than intended.
I'm in no rush and can ride out whatever, still shooting 5-6K rounds a year.

this allows me to get whatever is available when I find a good price on it, just last month I bought a case and a partial case of shot shell wads for 70$ and a brick of LR primers for 20$.
I need LR primers like I need jabbed with an ice pick but for 20$ [shrug] what you gonna do?

the problem with lead is I figure how many 200gr boolits I can make from what I have.
[kind of an average]
that makes a lot more 9mm's and a lot fewer 45-70's.
those both take different primers so which one do I plan for?
my way around it was to just go buy 50-K primers of each size to go with what I already had now I have all one lot number to work with and don't have to sweat it unless I use 900lbs of alloy and re-load the fiber drum of 9mm 5 more times.
[that's just under 3-8lb jugs of powder]
even if I did that I would still have time to replace what I use without going into gotta have it at any price and can still load some 38 special plinker rounds while I look for more stuff.

balanced? no..
we always need something.
remember the wads I mentioned earlier?
guess what I need to go with them..

brewer12345
12-02-2017, 04:46 PM
Heh, I also load shotshells, so inventory is even more complicated. Practically speaking, unless you have unlimited funds and space you have to prioritize. I'd guess primers and powder will be unobtanium the next time an election turns out poorly, so I plan to complete my stockpiling well before next election day for that stuff. Lead is more of an always keep your eyes open for opportunities type thing for me.

Hick
12-02-2017, 10:05 PM
I don't have them balanced-- but I have a spreadsheet that keeps track and reminds me when to buy more. So, for example, my spreadsheet is right now telling me i have a four year supply of primers, but I need to scrounge up more lead this next summer, and should be watching for a couple of different powders at a good price-- but not until next year at the earliest.

fredj338
12-07-2017, 05:12 PM
I have more primers than other components, but that is because in a pinch, I can scrounge lead for bullets & make any powder work in just about any caliber. Without primers though, reloading comes to a screeching halt. I have an app on my phone that inventories my stuff. A spread sheet is ok, but rarely would I have that at the local powder/rpimer shop.[smilie=p:

GhostHawk
12-07-2017, 10:44 PM
Sitting on about 300 lbs of lead, 30 lbs of Red Dot, and a .50 ammo can full of primers, second one half full.

Soon as any one of those is down about a third I buy enough to put it on top.

So I never run out, hope I never will.

Powder was the hardest for several years. Mostly a matter of due diligence, and when you find it, buy lots.

OS OK
12-07-2017, 10:47 PM
Buy what you can, when you can and make a habit of that every month...you'll actually build a surplus this way.

Geezer in NH
12-08-2017, 09:46 AM
I ran out once in the late 70's. I have not ever run out since and do not see it happening again.

shootinfox2
12-16-2017, 08:53 PM
P + M = E

Plenty plus more equals enough.

Bookworm
12-23-2017, 06:15 AM
I recently purchased 10k primers from Powder Valley, and threw in an 8-pound jug of BullsEye too. I figured, as long as I'm paying HazMat.....

The problem - at 2.7gr BullsEye per round, that makes.....uh....lets see...carry the 3....hmmmm....

Well, I need more primers.

JBinMN
12-23-2017, 07:51 AM
Primers is the weak link for me right now. I have enough of the other components to keep me occupied for some time, but primers, which make the whole "bang" thing happen from the start, is one item I need to work on gathering more of to "balance" things.

Mitch
12-23-2017, 11:07 AM
I thought that way a few years ago.Things change as time goes on.i get more lead and more of everything realy.finaly i picked a number of what i think i need till i am 80 lol.bout 25 years worth.Like said above buy things when you can get them at a good price.it will all come together.But the balance thing didnt work out so well.it sounds good but the lead thing is what has me.i keep getting more so it become impossible to keep up and not worth it to have that much stuff on hand.lead collecting addiction lol.good luck and happy supplie hunting

skeettx
12-23-2017, 02:47 PM
NO!!
Just get as much as you can of each
and let the end work itself out.
If I see a "GOOD DEAL" I snag the stuff
Mike

Walter Laich
12-25-2017, 12:52 PM
buy lead mostly off from folks here and Great Alaskan Lead Co.

powder and primers when I find a good deal or have extra $$

it's an on-going process

Cherokee
12-25-2017, 11:22 PM
Yes, I do try to keep a balance, somewhat. It helps to know what deals to focus on with limited $.