PDA

View Full Version : New 336A

pumpguy
08-18-2008, 08:15 PM
I bought a new 336A in 30-30 this weekend. It is in very good shape. It has me a little confused, though. It is a 1950 model with an F serial number. The serial number matches on the tang and the stock as well. The barrel is marked as a 336A. What confuses me is the fact that it has a slender forestock, factory cut checkering, factory sling swivels, no cap on the grip and some really nice figure in the wood. Wouldn't this make it an ADL? Nobody on Marlinowners could help me out. I still haven't figured out how to post pics so that's out, but, I sure would appreciate some help here if anyone knows.

GabbyM
08-18-2008, 10:45 PM
To post pics.
Click the go advanced button.
Then after that loads. scroll down to manage attachments. Click that.
you'll find a brows button next to a window. clicking that brings up your computers file tree. Find your file and click on it. then click the upload button.

see nothing to it.

Lloyd Smale
08-19-2008, 08:03 AM
i have an A in 35 and a ADL in 3030 and i dont know what to say. My adl is marked adl and the stock profile is the same as the A but other then that it sounds like yours.

Ranch Dog
08-19-2008, 09:27 AM
I spoke with Marlin about this guys and I will use my 444T as the example. All of the texts show production ending in 1971 but the serial number is for 1972. They told me that it is very possible that the model not match the exact "years of production" in the various texts because of how distributor orders were filled. Might be a year before or after the norm but the serial number runs are solid. The main thing to look for is the serial number match tang and bolt. Early rifles have the serial number on the stock as well as pumpguy indicated. I'm not sure when that ended. I don't mind a stock repair on the early rifles if the stock is branded with the serial number.

Denver
08-19-2008, 09:33 AM
I have a model 36 that is marked 36 ADL on the barrel, but does not have the checkered wood of the ADL grade. Not sure of the year as the letter precedeing the number looks like a "C" but maybe a "G". Somewhere I read that some of these guns were made up from parts of other models without much regard for markings on them.

JDL
08-19-2008, 12:12 PM
From what I've read, the ADLs were checkered while the As were not and some had a monty carlo comb.
JDL

PatMarlin
08-19-2008, 03:24 PM
I have a 336 with serial numbers Fxxx.

BUT, the numbers are stamped on the lower tang underneath the lever. Has anyone ever seen this?

Denver
08-19-2008, 03:30 PM
I have a 336 with serial numbers Fxxx.

BUT, the numbers are stamped on the lower tang underneath the lever. Has anyone ever seen this?

Yes, the early rifles were numbered that way. They started putting the SNs on the upper tang in the 60s I think.

PatMarlin
08-19-2008, 03:33 PM
I wasn't sure cause I have seen a few other "F's" stamped on the upper tang.

This is my oldest Marlin so I wasn't sure forsure, sure.

NickSS
08-20-2008, 09:56 AM
It could be like my 38-55 Marlin. I bought a marlin carbine in 375 winchester to find that the bore was damaged and the gun shot poorly even with Jacketed bullets. So I called Marlin to see about a new barrel. They did not have any barrels in 375 winchester but did have them in 38-55 so I sent my rifle in for a new barrel. When I got it back I found that I had only the action left from my rifle. The front end was 38-55 cowboy and the butt was a matching pistol grip with checkering on both. Not that I am complaining but this rifle will probably blow some collectors mind sometime in the future.