PDA

View Full Version : Why not a new lee classic turret press?

44minimum
08-18-2008, 04:59 PM
I've read almost nothing but good about a lee classic turret press and I kinda want one. Problem is, I'm using an almost new Lyman T MAG two turret press now but it looks like the lee would be quite a bit faster but I surely do not want a progressive. Help me talk myself out of this purchase.

35remington
08-18-2008, 05:54 PM
At about eighty bucks for one you wouldn't exactly have buyer's remorse due to depleting your funds. The Lee has about twice the production speed of the Lyman.

I have both presses by Lyman and Lee and use both, but for number of rounds produced in the past few years the Lee is leaving the Lyman in the dust. That should tell you something. Right now if I had to get rid of one or the other the Lyman would go, but since it's paid for it's staying.

Pepe Ray
08-18-2008, 07:33 PM
Correct me if I'mwrong but, it was my impression that the Lee Turret press could be had in either a progressive OR as a manual turret press. Not so???
Pepe Ray

hpdrifter
08-18-2008, 07:52 PM
the classic turret is not a progressive, nor is it offered as a progressive. the old(aluminum) turret press is a base for the Lee Pro 1000.

the classic turret can be either an automatic index or a manual turn, i.e. single stage with just storage for the other dies of the set.

Le Loup Solitaire
08-18-2008, 08:11 PM
The lee Turret press can function both as a semi-progressive or a manual press. This is done by de-activating the auto index feature/mechanism that advances the turret. It is a fast press and runs away from any press where you have to index the turret manually and it is also easier on your hands. What I have yet to figure out is why Lee did not make the press convertible to left hand use as was the case with its predecessor. That only involved moving the front strut and re- positioning the handle to the left side. It was no big deal to do either and would have made the press a breeze for the southpaws. There isn't much negative to say about the machine. Its a complete winner. One special feature is the speed with which a loader can change turrets going from one caliber to another-fast! If one needs to reload a lot of ammo quickly in a strong and well built press then then this rig is the way to go. LLS

mooman76
08-18-2008, 08:11 PM
The Lee turret press is not really a progressive press. Some call it a semiprogressive. It is some wheres between a single stage and a true progresive. I have the old lee turret and I use it almost exclusively except for my real heavy work and like it fine. I took the piece out that amkes it turn and use it like a single stage.

Rick N Bama
08-18-2008, 08:12 PM
35remington.....since I have neither the Lee, nor the Lyman turret press, will you please explain how the Lee is faster than the Lyman? Not doubting you at all, just very curious as to how that can be.

Sorry if this is considered a thread hijack.

Rick

44minimum
08-18-2008, 08:26 PM
Well, I do not consider it a hijack but you guys are not telling me bad things about the lee. What I need is to be talked out of purchasing one of these presses, he he he, since I have a perfectly good Lyman already. Maybe I should sell it to one of the suckers…......UMM, I mean, fine gentleman that frequent this forum thEN I could purchase the lee guilt free.

JesterGrin_1
08-18-2008, 09:03 PM
Okay I am a pretty new Lee Classic Turret Press owner. And since I am new at this stuff it did take some fiddling with the primer apparatus that they offer and as of yet to get it to apply the primers consistently without throwing one out on the floor lol. So for the limited amount of rounds I use and the fact I would rather hand fit the primers for better feel I go that rout instead of using the Lee Classic Turret to apply the primers. As for the Powder dispenser I have found it to work well except for the fact that you may have to settle for a powder charge that will fit into the holes that are provided by the powder measure disc. But it is only a form of plastic so I am sure if you wished you could drill one out to change the charge grains that you would need for whatever cartridge you are going to load. And that is okay as they are cheap to replace.

But here is the bad part lol. I can not really think of anything negative about the Lee Classic Turret Press except for the fact that I did not purchase one before I purchased my T-Mag Press. Now do not get me wrong the T-Mag is a fine press. But it is expensive as well as components such as the turret head. Where as the Lee Classic Cast Turret heads are only like $8.oo apiece. The Lee Pro Auto Disk Powder Measure is only $34.00 plus a set of dies. Or through Kempf Gun Shop you can get the complete kit to load one cartridge for $162.95. Sorry I just can not think of a way you can go wrong with the Lee Classic Turret Press lol. Except to not purchase one lol. :)

And so far I have loaded the .38 and .357Mag along with .44 Special and .44 Mag as well as 45-70 and has worked well so far. Except for the 45-70 I use a seperate powder measure simply due to the fact of the HUGE powder charge needed lol.

Oh one more plus for the Lee Classic Turret Press is the fact when you do deprime the brass it goes into a tube connected to the ram instead of all over the table or have a mess to clean up. You or I should say I have a jumper primer now and then lol.

So if I was going to start fresh I would have the Lee Classic Cast Single Stage Press for doing special things and the Lee Classic Cast Turret Press. The Lee Classic Cast Single Stage Press is only like $73.oo and has the same dump for the primers. Yes the primer thing is a huge plus for me lol. :)

Look at these places. :)

http://forums.handloads.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=10237&PN=1

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=196390

http://www.realguns.com/archives/122.htm

44minimum
08-18-2008, 09:22 PM
Here is a link to some kind of a primer fix for the Lee Press. I'm not sure if this is what you're experiencing, and I ran across it during my research today.

http://forums.handloads.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=10237&PN=1

35remington
08-18-2008, 09:30 PM
Rick, the Lee indexes by pivoting a fresh die over the case on each stroke - semi progressive. Four strokes makes a loaded round, starting with an empty case. Pretty fast. The Lyman turret head does not move unless it is hand indexed, and is really a single stage press with storage for six dies in function. You could index the turret by hand and have a setup that charges the case, etc. but it's not as smooth a system as the Lee, which was set up as a semi-progressive from the get go.

Considerably slower. But a good press.

If you're having trouble with the Lee standard priming setup on the Classic, something's off. I have no problems with mine and prime no other way.

44minimum, sorry, I ain't gonna talk you out of the Lee. Hell, I'm talking you INTO one, and I don't feel guilty one bit, especially since I have the Lyman press to compare!

I still must say the Lyman is a very good press. It's just not as fast or as convenient as the Lee is. The Lee seems tailor made for cases like my favorite .25-20 that must be loaded in volumes greater than regular rifle cartridges, and setting up the turret heads for the cartridge you want is relatively cheap. Set 'em and forget 'em - almost. It is also excellent for .223 or experimental moderate volume loading of pistol rounds when zeroing in on an "ideal" load through much trial and error to find what's best.

Having predrilled rotor sizes to the powder measure is NO handicap in most instances. The range is close enough that one of the thrown charges will be what you want in most cases, save some rifle loads.

Do NOT go lighter than 3.5 grains of flake powders in the Lee Auto Disk measure to avoid squibs. This is no criticism of the Lee measure - many have problems with very small charges of flake powders.

JesterGrin_1
08-18-2008, 09:38 PM
44minimum It looks like you will have a Lee Classic Cast Turret Press in your future lol. :)

DanWalker
08-18-2008, 11:42 PM
Bought mine over a year ago. I've since loaded about 47 buzillion rounds of 45acp,45LC,44spl,380acp,38spl,223,7mm08, and 45/70 on it. NO COMPLAINTS.....NADA, ZERO, ZIP......sorry I couldn't talk you out of it.

hpdrifter
08-18-2008, 11:52 PM
If you're having trouble with the Lee standard priming setup on the Classic, something's off. I have no problems with mine and prime no other way.

ditto. well, I did have a wee bit of problem with it at first, but a little fiddlin with the angle of the mount under the mounting bolt took care of it.

Remember push in THEN DOWN.

JesterGrin_1
08-18-2008, 11:55 PM
Ok Ok I will look into it further lol. :) But I do prefer to put the primers on by hand with my RCBS Primer Tool.

Gun-adian
08-19-2008, 12:09 AM
I'm afraid I can't (or won't) talk you out of one, either.

I bought mine a year ago and haven't regretted the purchase. I can crank out .45/70 rounds like crazy!!!

There's no way I'm going back now.

So...it looks like you're getting one, right??

454PB
08-19-2008, 12:47 AM
Why would anyone feel guilty about owning several reloading presses? I own the Lee Classic Turret, two of the older aluminum turret presses, and an RCBS Rockchucker. A single boolit mould can easily cost more than any one of those presses, and I have a lot more moulds than presses.

Jim
08-19-2008, 05:37 AM
I've bought and used many Lee products over the years. The only ones that I've kept are those WITHOUT moving parts.
IMO, Lee has difficulty producing goods with linkage/moving parts.

DLCTEX
08-19-2008, 09:45 AM
Jester: I predict that if you try the safety prime you will no longer prefer to put primers in by hand. I rarely use my Lee auto primes tools anymore, prefering to do priming on the Classic Cast Turret. Plenty "feel" when setting primers and plenty leverage to get it done effortlessly. The new design on the primer tray is the greatest for flipping the primers upright I've ever seen. You will have no problems with linkage or moving parts on the Classic Cast series. DALE

GrizzLeeBear
08-19-2008, 10:01 AM
I have both the Lee Classic Cast single stage press and the Classic Cast Turret press. IMO Lee took the best parts of the Classic Cast and combined them with the best parts of their earlier turret press. It is not as fast as a real progressive, since it does only one opperation with each pull of the handle, but WAY faster than a single stage or manual index press. For the money, it is a very good press.

VTDW
08-19-2008, 11:36 AM
Buy it!!! Do not delay!! Beware of false prophet speaking doom!!

Dave:drinks::drinks:

Woodtroll
08-19-2008, 02:09 PM
For those of you who load rifle ammo on the Classic Cast Turret- do you find that the movement of the die turret causes any problems with misalignment or unreasonable runout? I've been saving for a Redding T-7, but the Classic Turret certainly is attractive. I load a lot of BPCR cartridges, and would sure like to leave my dies set up. I would still load one stage at a time, so the indexing is not an issue, but the "play" inherent in the Lee system has me leery.

Does anyone have any experiences (good or bad) to relate in this regard?

Thanks a lot! Regan

Heavy lead
08-19-2008, 02:31 PM
I actually can't give you an example of the Lee Classic Turret, but I can the old fashioned aluminum turret. I've got two a four holer I use on all my handguns except 45 acp (I use a Hornady LNL progressive for these), and it works great, fast changeover and very controllable. I use my older 3 holer, with the auto indexing removed for 223,223ai, and 22-250. My three sizers go in one turret, my three bullet seaters go in another and and third turret is set up for a powder measure (yes I throw charges in all three 39.5 grains of H380 in the 22-250 is no problem with the pro auto disk powder measure with the double disc kit). I use the same exact load as I worked up on my single stage press and I've never noticed a problem with runout at all. I don't think I would use one of the aluminum ones for my 416 Rigby now, but for the smaller cartridges they work great. I'm sure that big cast one would be fine on the big cases though. The Lee Turrets do lift up a might when the ram goes up, but it lifts up evenly around the diameter of the turret.

trickg
08-19-2008, 03:18 PM
For no more than a Lee Classic Turret press costs, to me it seems like a no-brainer - go ahead and pick one up. To get started, I bought an Anniversary Challenger Press kit, but I expect that there is a Lee Classic Turret press sometime in my future. But, I first want to learn a bit more about the ins and outs of reloading before I buy one.

Sprue
08-19-2008, 05:37 PM
I've read almost nothing but good about a lee classic turret press and I kinda want one. Problem is, I'm using an almost new Lyman T MAG two turret press now but it looks like the lee would be quite a bit faster but I surely do not want a progressive. Help me talk myself out of this purchase.

Although I don't have this press I thought that I would make a comment or two.

Your question at hand is what I find somewhat ironic. First you have to consider the playing field that your confiding in. Your post makes me think of the crowd that I hang around with.

When we are out shopping or kicking tires and one of us fellas see something of interest, it does no good to ask for your comrades opinion. If its anything at all worthy, the reply is always... "get it".

You are dealing with a diseased, demented group here. That said, if you are looking for someone to tell you "no" then perhaps you ought to go ask the wifey.

As for having issues with the idea of having two presses, I know of no one that has just one.

As has been already mentioned about the price for this press, in no way is it a bundle of $$$. After all is does have a pretty good reputation and praise by reading the reviews.

Check out this link to see it in operation:

Lee Classic Turret in operation (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOpN9iYOyE8)

So whats the deal ? Get it!

leadman
08-19-2008, 06:25 PM
I have an old Lee Turret press with the 3 hole turrets and about 9 turrets all set up. I also have 2 Pro disk powder measures, one set up for the double disk kit. Even loading the primers by hand I did a test and almost loaded 150 rounds of 9mm in an hour. Way faster then the Lyman Turret press I have.
My friend just bought a new 4 holer from Natchez Shooters Supply. Good price, might want to check their website. www.natchezss.com.

44minimum
08-19-2008, 07:37 PM
I am very aware of the demented folks that inhabit this forum. I would bet that I would receive the same encouragement to make a purchase of anything that might come from A midway, mid south shooter's supply, cabelas, bass pro shops or sportsman's guide catalog, no matter what it was. Well, come to think of it, the sportsman's guide catalog sometimes has items way out of line of the ordinary, fluffy pinkish women things or curtains or something like that that I wouldn't be caught dead ordering. I'd be downright embarrassed if anyone found out. I've just about got myself talked into this purchase but it will have to wait until after a trip to Branson next month. Then I still got a try to unload this Lyman on some poor uninformed individual. Damn am glad that you guys are looking out for my best interests this way.

trickg
08-19-2008, 08:36 PM
Even loading the primers by hand I did a test and almost loaded 150 rounds of 9mm in an hour.
Unless I'm missing something, isn't it faster to seat primers by hand with a hand tool rather than doing it on the press?

I can reload about 100 rounds in an hour with a single stage press - the part that takes the most time is getting my powder measure set up to charge the level I want.

xyrth
08-19-2008, 08:51 PM
I am very aware of the demented folks that inhabit this forum. I would bet that I would receive the same encouragement to make a purchase of anything that might come from A midway, mid south shooter's supply, cabelas, bass pro shops or sportsman's guide catalog, no matter what it was. Well, come to think of it, the sportsman's guide catalog sometimes has items way out of line of the ordinary, fluffy pinkish women things or curtains or something like that that I wouldn't be caught dead ordering. I'd be downright embarrassed if anyone found out. I've just about got myself talked into this purchase but it will have to wait until after a trip to Branson next month. Then I still got a try to unload this Lyman on some poor uninformed individual. Damn am glad that you guys are looking out for my best interests this way.

i'm pretty new to this, but it looks particular to your loading style. if it fist for your process, score.

i've always been the kind of person where i prefer to do the same action 10, 20, 100x in a row, ie: put in 50 primers, then add powder 50x, then add bullets 50x, etc. it just my personality, i make fewer mistakes, the work goes by faster for me, and i find it to be how i can maximize my personal efficiency.

35remington
08-19-2008, 09:15 PM
"IMO, Lee has difficulty producing goods with linkage/moving parts."

You're missing the boat, here, Jim. Apparently your experience is not all encompassing, as you're in the distinct minority here. We ain't lying about this press.

"For those of you who load rifle ammo on the Classic Cast Turret- do you find that the movement of the die turret causes any problems with misalignment or unreasonable runout?"

No. My Lee Collet dies have less than a thousandth runout whether on my Rockchucker or on this Lee Classic Turret.

"Unless I'm missing something, isn't it faster to seat primers by hand with a hand tool rather than doing it on the press?"

Absolutely not. Doing it with a hand tool adds an extra handling step to the operation when you could be leaving the round in the press and processing it fully. Priming is done on the Lee CT while on the downstroke, on the way to another die station. No loss of time.

Pulling cases and priming them separately = loss of time.

Dale53
08-19-2008, 09:47 PM
I'll mention this one more time (at least[smilie=1:) - the difference between the Lee Classic Turret and other turret presses:
When the Lee Turret moves up against the press (when loading) it is supported COMPLETELY around the turret. There is NO tilting so no chance to misalign and end up with a crooked cartridge. All other turret presses of which I have personal knowledge, have imperfect methods to limit the tilt they are subject to.

Understand, I am not knocking other presses - I have long used a Lyman T-Mag and now a T-Mag II and there is no denying that the Lee has the superior method - plus the turret expense is MUCH less. One of the few times in life you get more for less:drinks: Frankly, if the Lee Classic Turret had been available when I bought my Lyman, the Lyman would not have been purchased. I am MORE than happy with my Lee Classic Turret and that should be obvious:mrgreen:.

Dale53

tom barthel
08-19-2008, 09:56 PM
I am a believer in the LEE presses. That said I must admit (I) broke couple of them. I suggest buying the LEE press. Just follow the instructions. It takes a lot to break one of their monster classic heavy duty steel presses. I still managed to do it. I called LEE and explained the problem, admitting it was MY fault. The LEE company sent me a replacement part and I was back in operation. I wasn't worried. I had another working LEE press to use. Still, I thought it was very nice of them to just send a replacement part after I told them it was MY fault. Read the instructions and load away. I AM A HAPPY CUSTOMER. I RECOMMEND THEM.

JesterGrin_1
08-20-2008, 01:18 AM
I'll mention this one more time (at least[smilie=1:) - the difference between the Lee Classic Turret and other turret presses:
When the Lee Turret moves up against the press (when loading) it is supported COMPLETELY around the turret. There is NO tilting so no chance to misalign and end up with a crooked cartridge. All other turret presses of which I have personal knowledge, have imperfect methods to limit the tilt they are subject to.

Understand, I am not knocking other presses - I have long used a Lyman T-Mag and now a T-Mag II and there is no denying that the Lee has the superior method - plus the turret expense is MUCH less. One of the few times in life you get more for less:drinks: Frankly, if the Lee Classic Turret had been available when I bought my Lyman, the Lyman would not have been purchased. I am MORE than happy with my Lee Classic Turret and that should be obvious:mrgreen:.

Dale53

Bingo Dale53

If a few do not fully understand what Dale53 is saying I will try to help lol. You see the Lee Classic Cast Turret Press has a tool head that will rotate on an with being the full outside of the circumference of the tool head which makes it stronger and with less flex for tilting or any other movement what so ever. Where as the Lyman T-Mag has a central bolt which holds the tool head and to limit tilting and or movement from the tool head there is a shim bolt under the back of the tool head exactly opposite from the die that you will use. So to get less tilt and or movement from the tool head you must tighten that shim bolt up against the tool head which will limit your movement of the took head to rotate it to the next die. Unless you give it a bit of slack which means the tool head will move and thus be more out of line than THE LEE CLASSIC CAST TURRET PRESS. So there you have it boys and girls lol.

:) :Fire:

JesterGrin_1
08-20-2008, 01:31 AM
Look Here lol.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v453/SHAKERATTLEROLL/ClassicTurret.jpg
As you can tell the Tool Head is supported around its entire circumference.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v453/SHAKERATTLEROLL/TMAG_II.jpg
But the Lyman T-Mag only has a single bolt in the middle of the tool head which can enable it to tilt unless you tighten the shim bolt against the tool head to limit tilt and this will also limit how easy it is to turn from one die to the next. Unless it is loose then you just have to accept what ever amount of tool head tilt you may have.

I hope the pictures help lol.

Now does anyone here wish to purchase a low usage Lyman T-Mag II with two tool heads?

IcerUSA
08-20-2008, 09:10 AM
I use the Ram Prime II in my Lee Classic Cast Turret as I like to check to make sure the primers a set deep enough , tried the hand jobbie and didn't like it at all .
I did split a turret once FL sizing some 22-250 cases and called Lee and they said to send it to them and they would send me a new one , which they did .
I use Perfect Powder Measures for rifle and the Pro Disk Measures with the adjustable insert in them , both work well .
Only other thing what is kind of a negative is you do have to watch out for the threaded holes in the turrets being off a little once in awhile , I have found a couple that have been off by as much as .020 and it makes it a bear to get the brass started as it hits the edge of the die , good thing they are inexpensive . :)

Keith

trickg
08-20-2008, 11:53 AM
The more I look at the Lee Classic Turret press and the Auto Disk Powder Measure, the more I like them. They look like they'd be the cat's meow for the reloading that I do, which is pretty much just plinking loads that I take to the range for my own enjoyment. It looks like it would speed up my reloading time considerably. Of course I don't "need" anything other than my single stage press with the Perfect Powder measure, but it's something to look forward to.

jawjaboy
08-20-2008, 12:22 PM
Unless I'm missing something, isn't it faster to seat primers by hand with a hand tool rather than doing it on the press?

I can reload about 100 rounds in an hour with a single stage press - the part that takes the most time is getting my powder measure set up to charge the level I want.

I don't have a hand primer, but I just don't see how using one could be faster. You are handling the brass more(time) using a hand primer. With the LCT you handle it only twice, (1)insert empty brass (2)remove finished round. YMMV. :)

jawjaboy
08-20-2008, 12:58 PM
Jester: I predict that if you try the safety prime you will no longer prefer to put primers in by hand. I rarely use my Lee auto primes tools anymore, prefering to do priming on the Classic Cast Turret. Plenty "feel" when setting primers and plenty leverage to get it done effortlessly. The new design on the primer tray is the greatest for flipping the primers upright I've ever seen. You will have no problems with linkage or moving parts on the Classic Cast series. DALE

I agree Dale. A couple of months ago the son-in-law was home from medical school and we were setting right here(pic). He was on the Classic Turret on the right cranking out 38's and I was on the DeLuxe Turret on the left cranking out 44's.

At a point we were taking a break and I said "lets see who can fill up a box(50) first." I knew he would win on the Classic, but I wanted to see by how much. Mind you now, he only gets to reload 2 or 3 times a year, and I'm supposed to be the seasoned veteran here. :rolleyes:

And we're off. In no hurry, paying attention. About ~15/20 minutes later he was through with his box of 50. I had 32 in my box.

The safety prime is a huge time saver.

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g194/jawjaboy/IM000109.jpg

USARO4
08-20-2008, 01:22 PM
I have the older alum turret press and the classic turret press. Both have the Lee safety prime and pro auto disc installed on them. I also have a RCBS RS5 press, RCBS hand primer, and a Lyman 55 powder measure. The new Lee powder and primer systems leave the RCBS and Lyman systems in the dust for speed, ease of adjustments , and overall ease of use. I compare the alum turret press to a Chevy, solid, simple, and dependable. The classic I compare to a Cadillac, it's top of the line. For those of you who have had bad experiences with the older Lee presses, priming systems, powder measures, etc., you really need to try the new designs. Lee has got it right this time, they can make quality equipment with moving parts.

Woodtroll
08-22-2008, 10:12 AM
For those who have taken the time to directly address my question of rifle ammunition quality on the Lee turret, I thank you. My direct comparison was with the Redding T-7, which I think is much better supported than the Lyman presses.

My concern with the Lee is that at some point, the turret is in motion upward, driven only by the case and/ or bullet moving upward into whatever die is in use. It seems that this would induce an opportunity for the entire turret to "cock" sideways until it tops out against the locking lugs and squares up again. It is these intermittent locking lugs that bear the upward thrust, not the "entire circumference" band at the top of the turret as someone suggested. I do understand that once the turret is up and "loaded", it is fully supported and should be square to the ram; it's just the in-between motion that bothers me. If I could figure out a way to pre-load/ spring-load the turret up against the lugs at each station (without shooting it out the top of the press in between lug engagement), all of this play when the cartridge is in the die would be eliminated! Maybe this would make little practical difference, but it would sure make me feel better.

35Remington, thanks for your qualitative answer. My BPCR cartridge dies are not collet dies, but your answer does make me feel a little better.

Thanks guys! Sorry for partially sidetracking this thread, but I think it does apply to the original question.

Y'all take care! Regan

GrizzLeeBear
08-22-2008, 11:48 AM
Regarding runout. I load my Highpower (AR-15) match ammo. on the Classic Cast Turret press. Last match I shot a 97 (out of 100) in rapid fire sitting and a 96 in the slow fire prone. These were at a 200 yd. range, so the slow fire prone is on a target that is reduced to simulate shooting at 600 yds. It is a very demanding target. The press loads very good ammo.
IMHO runout is one of those things that only very good benchrest shooters can detect any difference in accuracy on the target, unless it is extreme in the loaded rounds.

JesterGrin_1
08-22-2008, 12:14 PM
For those who have taken the time to directly address my question of rifle ammunition quality on the Lee turret, I thank you. My direct comparison was with the Redding T-7, which I think is much better supported than the Lyman presses.

My concern with the Lee is that at some point, the turret is in motion upward, driven only by the case and/ or bullet moving upward into whatever die is in use. It seems that this would induce an opportunity for the entire turret to "cock" sideways until it tops out against the locking lugs and squares up again. It is these intermittent locking lugs that bear the upward thrust, not the "entire circumference" band at the top of the turret as someone suggested. I do understand that once the turret is up and "loaded", it is fully supported and should be square to the ram; it's just the in-between motion that bothers me. If I could figure out a way to pre-load/ spring-load the turret up against the lugs at each station (without shooting it out the top of the press in between lug engagement), all of this play when the cartridge is in the die would be eliminated! Maybe this would make little practical difference, but it would sure make me feel better.

35Remington, thanks for your qualitative answer. My BPCR cartridge dies are not collet dies, but your answer does make me feel a little better.

Thanks guys! Sorry for partially sidetracking this thread, but I think it does apply to the original question.

Y'all take care! Regan

Allot of good information has been posted here by many experienced re-loaders on the Lee Classic Cast Turret Press along with many other threads on this board and others on the quality and workability of the Lee Classic Turret Press. But if you like some other design of a press then please by all means purchase it and have fun. As with this hobby and many others you can accomplish anything you like in any direction that you like. But with all of the great info here it should get many started on the right foot. :)

DLCTEX
08-22-2008, 05:44 PM
If you are bothered by the travel upward before the turret engages the locking lugs you can use a spring, such as a 1911 recoil spring placed over the index shaft, cut to a length that will lift the turret after the turret has turned to the point that the locking lugs are engaged. In my opinion this is unnecessary and amounts to picking fly specks out of black pepper. DALE

Woodtroll
08-22-2008, 08:04 PM
Dale, that's exactly what I had in mind, and you are probably right about the fly specks! <G>

Folks, if any of y'all think that I have insulted this press or your opinions of it, I want to apologize right now. That is certainly not the case. My first reloading press, purchased about 1984, was a Lee 3-station turret, and I still use it, along with a couple others purchased later. I am very familiar with the mechanical workings of this press. It has served me well for handgun ammunition and some rifle ammo used for less formal purposes, but sometimes is not quite consistent with the long straight BPCR cases. I would only think that the wider, heavier 4-hole turret may be more likely to induce runout, but could certainly be wrong in my assumption- that's why I asked in the first place.

Reviews of the Classic Turret elsewhere on the net do indeed mention alignment problems, bullet shaving, etc. Many of the reviews are less than helpful to me, because they deal with folks cranking out quantities of handgun ammo (these people are actually using the press in the best design capacity, I think!). I, on the other hand, will be using it basically to store dies, and will do my loading in a batch, one operation at a time, because I like to hand prime, and because bulk black powder is best handled by an old Belding and Mull measure or something similar. The feedback I was looking for was pretty specific, like what 35Remington and GrizzLeeBear offered: "I load rifle ammo on my press, it is consistent, and concentric, and shoots well".

I am a tinkerer by nature, growing up on a farm with a father who was the finest machinist I have ever known, and one of the best "backwoods engineers". I have done some work as a field research technician, and now work in a field that requires a working knowledge of physics, chemistry, biology, anatomy, electricity, mechanics, pneumatics, hydraulics, building construction, and psychology (you get extra points if you can guess my occupation! <G>). I am used to looking at things and how they work, but I am also analyzing how well they are working, and if I can improve on them. I often "think out loud", as in my last post that seemed to ruffle feathers, so others can understand (and critique) my thought process. That post was certainly not meant to offend anyone.

Enough about me. I enjoy the "company" here, and the wealth of knowledge to be gained from this board. I also apologize for sidetracking this thread.

Back into the corner now. Y'all take care! Regan

jim4065
08-22-2008, 09:36 PM
Like most here I have several presses - RCBS, Lyman and Lee. My go to press is always the Lee Classic Turret for everything except BPCR - which I simply like to fuss with.

IMHO the Classic Cast Turret is the best general purpose press made today.

DLCTEX
08-22-2008, 10:21 PM
Woodtroll: I for one was not offended. I had the same questions in my own mind, but had resolved them to my satisfaction by observation of the press in action, so pardon me please if I seemed to dismiss your question out of hand. On the few occasions that I observed a tilt to the turret as it lifted, it squared itself long before any seating of the bullet occured, thus negating the tilt. The Classic Cast Turret allows for better alignment than my Rockchucker as the turret can move right or left slightly to correct any misalignment in those directions. I had considered the spring added, but decided it was not needed. Today was extra pressured at work at work and I was not feeling too helpful. A short nap and I'm not even grumping at my wife, right now. DALE

VTDW
08-23-2008, 10:10 AM
I was the one with the only smart a$$ post because I was almost certain the Lee bashers would be out in force on this thread.

WOW but have I been surprised!!:drinks: I have only been reloading for a bit longer than 3 years now and I bought all my initial equipment on the advice of Ranch Dog as he is a Lee man all the way. I have disabled my indexing feature and seat with the hand primer. All I can say is the Lee turret press (I do not have the Classic) certainly suits my needs as I like to do one thing at a time and I seldom load more than 50-60 rounds at a time and usually only 20. Prime, then pour the powder using loading blocks and a funnel, then to the press to seat the boolit and crimp. I was also concerned with the slop in the turret when seating until I use dial calipers about a hundred or so times to check the COAL and my mind finally rested on that issue.:-D

I have tried to absorbed all the little nuances described in this thread and am thankful for all of those that have contributed thus far.

Dave

JesterGrin_1
08-23-2008, 03:58 PM
I think the reason of lack of Lee Bashers on this thread is because it is about the Lee Classic Cast Turret Press. Sure there have been complaints on older Lee products as cheap entry level tools. But with there production of the Lee Classic Cast Turret Press and the Lee Classic Cast Single Stage Press things are changing. It will just take time. :) As these tools now represent more bang for ones hard earned dollars.

Ranch Dog
08-24-2008, 11:22 AM
No, no don't change VTDW's mind on these Lee products as when he gets pissed off at something he sends it to me!

VTDW
08-27-2008, 01:58 PM
No, no don't change VTDW's mind on these Lee products as when he gets pissed off at something he sends it to me!

You nailed me Michael.:drinks: