PDA

View Full Version : Little hot at Remlin.

armednfree
11-30-2017, 12:49 AM
Marlin 1895 GBL, ( Remlin) Action is OK, just needs a bit of polish.

But, I'm sitting in my deer stand and notice that the cross screw that goes through the hammer and bottom metal has backed out. The Gun still works but that is just not right. I move the trigger and I see the head of the screw turn.

So when I got back to camp I tried to screw it back in, no way. It goes and just catches and won't go any farther. So I stripped it and while doing that found the other two screws loose. Now I have fired maybe 45 rounds from this gun, trapdoor level loads, no way that should shake screws loose. I put it back together, still won't go.

Then I pulled the bottom metal and tried to put the screw in without it. It would not turn. I took the screw and chased the threads from the other side. After that it would go in, except when the bottom metal is in. It just catches and that's it. Looking at it, seems to be a few thousandths off.

I dropped it at the dealer who is sending it in for repair. When it comes back it is getting sold. When the manufacturer put this together they had to use a press and forced it. I used to take my old Marlins apart and put them together easily, everything just fell into place. Seriously, my Rossi Rio Grande is better than that.

OverMax
11-30-2017, 02:41 AM
New guns are not suppose fail. That's why business have Quality Control to make sure they don't. (No confidence) in Remlin. Sell it.

Uncle Grinch
11-30-2017, 06:10 PM
You should read some of the horror stories over on the Marlin owners forum.

MyFlatline
11-30-2017, 06:17 PM
You should read some of the horror stories over on the Marlin owners forum.

Yep, a big huge , long list.. It's a **** shoot on a Remlin made Marlin now a days,,I think from 2008 on. I may be off a year or so either way either way

When you toss die on a table, what is it called? ****'* Sometimes the censor program goes overboard

quail4jake
11-30-2017, 06:39 PM
It looks like Remington's time is marked, another mfg resting on laurels and feeling entitled to the market (not to mention their twilight in business hostile New York). But from the ashes will rise the phoenix and I'm looking forward to a good outfit making a faithful reproduction of some of the great early Marlins. Maybe a responsible company, Miroku, FN, Turnbull etc would pick it up, won't be cheap but imagine an 1893 pistol grip rifle, 28" half octagon, 2/3 mag, case hardened receiver in .38-55 or .32-40 in the $4-6000 range...
Anyway for now Remlin continues to flounder making the Chrysler K cars of the levergun world...

Mgderf
12-02-2017, 05:22 PM
**** shoot as it may be, evidently I've had great luck.
I've purchased 2 Marlington's in the past few months, and both seem to be quality pieces.
I've owned an 1894 (JM stamped) in .44mag for better than a decade, and it's a fine rifle, but did start life with the dreaded "Marlin hitch".
It has since smoothed itself out.

The two new ones are,
1) 1895G in .45/70gvt. I like it a lot. No issues at all.
2) 336 in .35 Remington. This is a dream to shoot and has already taken 2 doe.

gpidaho
12-02-2017, 06:17 PM
I would love to have a new 336 in .35 Remington but after the last new Remlin , a 45-70 with a horrible bore, actual chunks missing from the rifling. I don't think I'll ever buy another Remington rifle. Gp

MyFlatline
12-02-2017, 06:35 PM
I would love to have a new 336 in .35 Remington but after the last new Remlin , a 45-70 with a horrible bore, actual chunks missing from the rifling. I don't think I'll ever buy another Remington rifle. Gp

Good used ones are still out there, I was in Mn a few weeks ago and they had a nice older one on the shelf, coulda been had for 350..

Shawlerbrook
12-02-2017, 06:49 PM
Very sad what has become of the once great Remington Arms. I grew up about 10 miles from the Ilion plant and that place was like a shrine to all us young shooters and hunters. Now, I wouldn’t buy anything they make. I am glad I have many older Remingtons and Marlin made when company’s had some pride in what they made.

marlin39a
12-02-2017, 08:35 PM
I bought 2 Remington Youth Express 20 gauge shotguns last month for myself and girlfriend for easy carry, upland hunting. I did not want the Mossberg, and knew the Rem's would need tweaking. The finish was rough, and ejection was poor on both. A good cleaning with Clenzoil brought out a nice matte blue. Volquartzen extractors made the guns run great. We've since bagged quail, squirrels, and rabbits. No problems with them at all. I liked sitting under a ponderosa pine Wednesday, looking down at the Ilion, NY marked gun. It's a shame I had to buy 2 shotguns that needed work to run reliably. Maybe the ChiComms will do them better.

FergusonTO35
12-02-2017, 10:42 PM
My late model 870 20 gauge isn't going to win any beauty contests but it sure is a shooting machine and never given me any problems. Same for my Mossberg 500. I have often thought, what if the reverse happened and Marlin bought Remmy and closed the Ilion plant. I don't think they would have had any better luck producing 700's and 870's in North Haven. Some things should just be left the way they are, even if the owners change.