PDA

View Full Version : Paper hulls

richhodg66
11-29-2017, 10:15 PM
How does a guy go about reloading these?

I just got back from a guy who advertised a bunch of 16 gauge stuff locally he is selling for a neighbor's widow. Among a ton of other 16 gauge stuff were hundreds of new, primed, paper hulls that had never had a crimp on them. Seems like an awfully good deal for someone who knows how to do it.

I am just beginning to delve into 16 gauge loading as I have a couple now and anything besides #8 loads seem hard to find. I walked out of this deal tonight with enough heavy #6 field loads that I may not need to reload for it for a long time.

WebMonkey
11-29-2017, 10:55 PM
A crimp starter will help "crease" the folds. Otherwise, follow the load data for paper hulls.
crimp starters are usually somewhere on the press.
:)

Cowboy_Dan
11-30-2017, 07:16 AM
You may be hard pressed to find loads for paper 16 ga shells. Just looked through my loadbooks and only found data for paper Federals in the 1972 1st edition of the Lyman shotshell manual. May find more data from the powder manufacturers.

richhodg66
11-30-2017, 07:35 AM
You may be hard pressed to find loads for paper 16 ga shells. Just looked through my loadbooks and only found data for paper Federals in the 1972 1st edition of the Lyman shotshell manual. May find more data from the powder manufacturers.

Yeah, I was afraid of that. Sure seems like an awful waste of them, but they probably won't ever get used by anybody.

Randy C
11-30-2017, 08:19 AM
email ballistics Products they send me load recipes' when I ask, I would bet I have the reload books at home, But I'm sure powders have change over the years.

rking22
11-30-2017, 09:25 AM
If I could get them , I have several pump guns that would love them. I dont have any loads to offer but I load paper 12s with the same data as my gun clubs. And yes I know that's a t erriable offense, but the gun club pressure is 9000 and they kill clays just fine. Not a rrecommendation, just what I've done. I'd take them in a heart beat.

deepwater
11-30-2017, 11:52 AM
email ballistics Products they send me load recipes' when I ask, I would bet I have the reload books at home, But I'm sure powders have change over the years.

Excellent suggestion. I have not been to their webpage for awhile, but the answer(s) could be their as well.

W.R.Buchanan
11-30-2017, 01:55 PM
I load Federal Paper hulls when I can get them with the exact same loads as my AA Trap loads.

There is no magic here.

The reason why people still load paper, (and Federal still makes them)

is because they smell good when you fire them!

I have a friend who got me into Trap Shooting and all he loads is Federal Paper hulls and he gave me hundreds of old style AA's because he doesn't use them.

Randy

rking22
11-30-2017, 02:39 PM
That smell, along with the smell of bird dog and old canvas........ throw in a little coffee, that takes me back every time. You hit it, that's why I like them too !

Reverend Al
11-30-2017, 03:25 PM
Generally most paper hulls are straight sided and large internal volume compared to most plastic hulls, so you should be able to use the same load as a similar inside volume straight sided plastic hull of the same gauge and expect slightly lower velocities and pressures. Obviously it would pay to start a few grains low and work up a load especially if your 16 gauge shotguns are older guns. I haven't loaded for 16 gauge, but have loaded a ton of paper 12 gauge hulls over the years (CIL, Federal paper target, and Winchester paper target) using this method to work up loads.

richhodg66
11-30-2017, 08:25 PM
Well, he had a bunch and a lot of other 16 gauge stuff. Boxes of old Alcan cork wads, many plastic wads of all types. I'll probably go back and see him for a more detailed inventory of what he has.

ascast
11-30-2017, 08:43 PM
Sounds like good stuff. You could always peddle it here in SWAP & SELL hint hint

country gent
11-30-2017, 08:55 PM
Old manuals will give loads but finding wads compatable with the paper hulls may be the stopping point. Those may be the hard part unless he has them with his suppies. Ive seen federal paper hulls in 12 ga loaded many times

Randy C
11-30-2017, 09:10 PM
A pocket knife can modify most wads, were not talking about max loads

runfiverun
11-30-2017, 10:29 PM
wads and loads are easily found.
the paper hull is the same internal volume as the gold medal and loads transfer directly across.
the other good news is the new European hulls are all straightwall hulls so their wads and loads compare favorably also.

trapper9260
12-01-2017, 09:08 AM
I just look at my Lyman manual and it is the first ed of 69 and it have data for 2 3/4" for fed. plastic and paper cases only fold crimp usen powder of SR 7625,SR4756 PB AL-5 it is of 1 1/8oz. and also 1 oz. .If you like the data I can scan it later on when I have a chance and post it .let me know.yes it is for 16ga.

RMc
12-01-2017, 01:22 PM
This is probably the most conservative approach to currently published 16 gauge load data:

Take a look at the 16 gauge load data for Federal hulls with paper basewads. Then duplicate the loads in paper hulls with a similar basewad height.

http://alliantpowder.com/resources/catalog/alliantpowder-reloadersguide/2014_Alliant_Powder_Catalog.pdf

Or if you have a favored old single barrel or double barrel 16 bore, just use card and felt wads with FFFg. These are quite effective and a snap to clean up in break barrel guns and are just a lot of fun!

Charles Ellis
12-02-2017, 09:21 PM
Another consideration is the brand of shotshells. If these happen to be old Remington hulls it might be difficult/impossible to find primers that fit. Up until the late 70's/early 80's Remington used a smaller size primer than all the other makers. Since they are already primed the first loading won't be a problem,and if there are enough primers in the pile of components might make getting them worthwile.

trapper9260
12-02-2017, 09:25 PM
Another consideration is the brand of shotshells. If these happen to be old Remington hulls it might be difficult/impossible to find primers that fit. Up until the late 70's/early 80's Remington used a smaller size primer than all the other makers. Since they are already primed the first loading won't be a problem,and if there are enough primers in the pile of components might make getting them worthwile. You can get a tool form BPI to fix the primer pocket on the old Rem. I still have some of the primers of Rem. ,used them for the 410 and some for the 12 hulls.

woody1
12-03-2017, 12:18 PM
If you're still wanting 16 ga. paper load data PM me and I can send you some data from the past and/or tell you where to find it. I will have to look it up in my historical files. Wads are available from Circle Fly or were last I checked.

richhodg66
12-05-2017, 07:15 AM
I found some data, rather was sent some. Not sure I want to mess with it and will likely leave these to a more knowledgeable shotgunner. They are kind of neat, though.