PDA

View Full Version : Best grinder for deer and hog processing

Smoke4320
11-29-2017, 02:00 PM
Ok so looks like I am going to have to start processing my wild hog kills
Because of some new food handling laws all our local processors are quitting processing wild hogs
so if you needed a grinder for burger and sausage what would you buy and why ?

Oh and a cuber for cube steaks

Smoke4320
11-29-2017, 03:48 PM
anyone have this grinder .. if so thoughts , negatives

http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=2277622&type=product&WT.z_btnclk=YMAL-2277622&WT.z_pg_ref=prd1843506

midnight
11-29-2017, 06:47 PM
I have a grinder from Cabela's that looks very similar. I think I paid about $60 for it about 6 years ago. Some special sale they had. Mine is 400 watt so power is similar. I wasn't going to pay a lot to grind burger from a couple of deer a year. It works just fine, not blazing fast but still the easiest part of the butchering job. One year I ground four deer with on problems. Unless you are going to do a dozen deer or more for all your friends & relatives, I wouldn't waste my money on those big ones they offer.

Bob

308Jeff
11-29-2017, 07:00 PM
I have this one:

https://www.amazon.com/STX-International-STX-3000-TF-Turboforce-Electric/dp/B0012KJBR0

I've used it about a dozen times, and am very happy with it. Very easy to assemble, disassemble, and clean. Seems to power through whatever I've thrown at it.

It was $124 a couple of months ago but currently at $154, which is still less than I paid.

Down South
11-29-2017, 08:06 PM
I use a LEM. I have the smaller one, .035 HP. I've used it for several yrs now processing at least a couple deer a yr with it. If I had it to do over again, I'd get the .5 HP.
http://www.lemproducts.com/category/butcher-meat-grinders?r=adwordsLEMBrandCampaign&src=ADWORDLEM&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI0fLh2f_k1wIVjIuzCh295AFkEAAYASAC EgLGVPD_BwE

nannyhammer
11-29-2017, 09:19 PM
Same as Down South, I have the .35HP LEM. Bought mine as a factory refurb in about 2003 and have processed 2-5 deer per year ever since. We normally save just the back strap and everything else from the ears to the shanks gets ground. All I've ever done is replaced blades and added an O-ring to keep the blade tight against the plate as the worm gear developed a little slack from use. Will buy another LEM if this one wears out.

ascast
11-29-2017, 09:28 PM
I have one similar, maybe smaller. Had it about 20 years. New york whitetails, 1-2 deers per year, still works as new. It is tedious (small), lots of chunking and poking but it gets it done

308Jeff
11-29-2017, 10:53 PM
I would say you couldn't go wrong with an LEM. I have one of their jerky cannons and it is extremely well-made

hithard
11-29-2017, 11:40 PM
It's nice to have the sausage stuffer parts. Especially if your doing hogs.

richhodg66
11-30-2017, 12:07 AM
I got a small Waring a few years ago from a neighbor who wasn't using it. I process one or two a year (two this year and most years two). It works, but is slow, only grinds small quantities at a time.

Before I got that, I used a hand crank one I got at a yard sale for a couple of bucks. The hand crank one actually works quite well, but is also slow, slower than the little Waring because you can't feed pieces into it and crank at the same time.

Dryball
11-30-2017, 01:55 AM
i love my LEM #12. It's 3/4 horse and will grind bones and goes thru frozen meat like butter. Cabela's grinders are made by Weston

Lloyd Smale
11-30-2017, 02:38 AM
ive got a Weston #32. It might be a bit of an overkill if your only processing a couple deer but compared to my old #8 lem its an animal. I was torn between this Weston and a new 32 lem. Went to a butcher store and looked at both. What made my mind up was that the Weston weighted a good 10lbs more then the lem. figured it must be built stouter. I know it is HEAVY and will grind anything as fast as you stick it in the hole. What is a pain with the under #22 sized grinders is when you have to do a second grind on meat like for summer sausage. Trying to push ground meat though a second time is a pain! With a bigger one its a breeze. I think this thing would grind a whole deer hide bone and all if you stuck it in the hole. Used to me with my #8 processing and stuffing 25 lbs of summer sausage was about a 3 hour job. This big grinder knocks at least an hour off that time and just makes it a much more fun process. I think if I was going to buy new again today though id look at a #22. This 32 is so heavy its almost a pain to lift onto the counter. I has to go north of 75lbs.

Grmps
11-30-2017, 03:43 AM
My daughter and son-in-law bring home a lot of game, they upgraded to the 3/4 hp from Cabelas with the sausage stuffer and are really happy with it.

Wait for a sale and buy some gift certificates @ up to 14% off @ raise.com and save twice as much.

Hdskip
11-30-2017, 10:58 AM
I'm very fortunate to have a commercial Hobart Grinder and a Hobart Cuber. My brother and I bought these at an auction years ago for pennies on the dollar. These things make the job extremely easy. We were extremely fortunate to find them.

ohshooter
11-30-2017, 01:06 PM
Smoke4320, I have that model and no complaints but I would recommend bumping up the size .75 hp. won't hurt a thing.

Smoke4320
11-30-2017, 04:11 PM
Grmps thanks for the tip on raise.com

It was a little aggravating getting setup with them .. Their site seems to only work well with google chrome
a couple of phone calls, a ridiculous verification process but finally got setup
got a $5.00 off coupon before checkout and another $5.00 for the second phone call

the redeeming process was smooth..

Cabelas allowed me to use 5 Raise gift cards and with the extra $10.00 from Raise I saved $24.00 on a $149.00 purchase and got free shipping on a product that was on sale for nearly 50% off to begin with (original price was $239.00 plus tax)

again Thanks

Grmps
11-30-2017, 06:41 PM
You are most welcome Smoke

I'm glad it worked out well for you.

Always happy to help a fellow CB member.

buckwheatpaul
11-30-2017, 10:15 PM
I have an 8 year old one h.p. Cabelas special and it has never missed a lick. It is strong does 15 to 18 lbs per minute and weighs a ton.....love it......Last year I bought a Cabela's stuffer and it made making brats sooooo much easier....hope this helps......Paul

Fishman
11-30-2017, 10:44 PM
I have an 8 year old one h.p. Cabelas special and it has never missed a lick. It is strong does 15 to 18 lbs per minute and weighs a ton.....love it......Last year I bought a Cabela's stuffer and it made making brats sooooo much easier....hope this helps......Paul

Paul, I have had that model for about that long as well. Bought it on a 25% off deal but still almost had a heart attack at the price. I process 4-6 deer and a hog or two every year and wow has that grinder earned its keep. I also have had a Cabelas stuffer for about 5 years and it works but I’m not as fond of it as it has its quirks. Remember, quality tools last a long time.

308Jeff
12-01-2017, 01:03 PM
I'm very fortunate to have a commercial Hobart Grinder and a Hobart Cuber. My brother and I bought these at an auction years ago for pennies on the dollar. These things make the job extremely easy. We were extremely fortunate to find them.

Jealous! I make a ton of jerky every year and I'd kill to have a Hobart deli slicer.

reloader28
12-01-2017, 10:14 PM
We have the 1 horse Cabelas and love it. Super quiet

Been around a couple LEM's and you couldnt pay me to take one. So loud you had to shout over it.

Powder Burn
12-01-2017, 10:37 PM
(Mrs.) Santa dropped off (early) a LEM #8 .35 hp, so I could do my own this year. Bless her little heart. I will only process a couple deer per year. These things are really fun to use. Looking at a sausage stuffer next. Sounds like you got a sweet deal. Happy Grinding!

blikseme300
12-02-2017, 02:33 PM
What I learned is twofold, get a larger unit than you think you need and that it is a start of a new hobby. Like casting and reloading you accumulate more and more tools.

My story:
It starts with a grinder, grinder too small and takes a lot of effort to get the meat ground. Grinder one day burns out in the middle of processing. Rush to Walmart and get what they have to finish.

Get bigger grinder and get a small sausage stuffer as stuffing using grinder is slow. Now this is fun but mixing meat and spices starts to hurt hands due to cold meat and arthritis. Get mixer and vacuum sealer. Now things are getting professional.

All is well until there are 3 deer and a farm hog to process. Takes a whole day and good part of the night to get done. Next day buy another freezer to have enough space for the meat and sausage.

Get bigger stuffer, bigger mixer and a second vacuum sealer.

Convert unused dining area into processing area with 2 stainless steel tables to work on.

Yep, now it's easy and cheap to do your own processing. Sounds familiar as when justifying your casting and reloading.

Here you can see some of my other hobby: http://www.bliksemdonder.com/category/myfood/

Powder Burn
12-02-2017, 03:11 PM
Nice set up Blikseme300. I have a feeling I am at the beginning of another expensive hobby.

Smoke4320
12-02-2017, 03:13 PM
Me too !!! Grinder, stuffer, cuber, scales, bags , casings, paper, tapes containers ect ect ect

blikseme300
12-02-2017, 07:09 PM
Nice set up Blikseme300. I have a feeling I am at the beginning of another expensive hobby.

Powder Burn, thank you for the compliment.

It started out as we had a need for a kind of sausage not available in this area. I'm originally from South Africa and my wife and I missed the traditional Boerewors common there. There are now a few sausage makers that do this commercially and will ship but the prices are quite high and their recipes are not what we prefer.

Once some of my friends and others found out what I do they approached me to help them out processing game or domestic meat. Some are generous and some are cheap-skate as I quickly found out. My standard deal is that they supply all the meat and packaging material and I get to keep half of the finished product in return for my effort and use of my equipment. No money changes hands and my freezers stay stocked.

/Bliksem

Omega
12-02-2017, 07:26 PM
What I learned is twofold, get a larger unit than you think you need and that it is a start of a new hobby. Like casting and reloading you accumulate more and more tools.

My story:
It starts with a grinder, grinder too small and takes a lot of effort to get the meat ground. Grinder one day burns out in the middle of processing. Rush to Walmart and get what they have to finish.

Get bigger grinder and get a small sausage stuffer as stuffing using grinder is slow. Now this is fun but mixing meat and spices starts to hurt hands due to cold meat and arthritis. Get mixer and vacuum sealer. Now things are getting professional.

All is well until there are 3 deer and a farm hog to process. Takes a whole day and good part of the night to get done. Next day buy another freezer to have enough space for the meat and sausage.

Get bigger stuffer, bigger mixer and a second vacuum sealer.

Convert unused dining area into processing area with 2 stainless steel tables to work on.

Yep, now it's easy and cheap to do your own processing. Sounds familiar as when justifying your casting and reloading.

Here you can see some of my other hobby: http://www.bliksemdonder.com/category/myfood/

Nice, any recipes you can share? I've been looking for a good spicy bratwurst recipe but it's been a bust so far.

blikseme300
12-02-2017, 07:27 PM
Me too !!! Grinder, stuffer, cuber, scales, bags , casings, paper, tapes containers ect ect ect

Smoke, it can get expensive fast but buying things wholesale is much cheaper. Vacuum packaging can be quite expensive and my best savings have been to buy bulk rolls. I typically mix my own spices and this saves quite a bit also as you can buy 1# of black pepper for about the same as a shaker in the supermarket. Same for casings, the small packs that are typically available are expensive and quite nasty. Properly stored natural casings can keep well for a long time so don't hesitate to buy in bulk.

There are so many good recipes available online as well as a number of good books on the subject. Sausage making is rewarding in so many ways. I know what goes into what I eat, no lips & a**es in my food, and I make what I prefer. You will never buy those commercial products from the supermarket again once you make your own.

/Bliksem

PM or email me for any additional info or questions bliksem at bliksemdonder dot com

blikseme300
12-02-2017, 07:31 PM
Nice, any recipes you can share? I've been looking for a good spicy bratwurst recipe but it's been a bust so far.

I'll send you what I have.

blikseme300
12-02-2017, 08:48 PM
I know this is thread drift but for those interested in sausage making the publication that I equate with the Lyman cast bullet handbook or the LASC notes is titled "Great Sausage Recipes and Meat Curing" by Rytek Kutas. It contains a staggering amount of information but learning and understanding what it contains will help you in making good & safe sausage.

Lloyd Smale
12-03-2017, 01:47 AM
have the book and highly recommend it. My go to brat recipe came from that book. Best brats I ever ate
I know this is thread drift but for those interested in sausage making the publication that I equate with the Lyman cast bullet handbook or the LASC notes is titled "Great Sausage Recipes and Meat Curing" by Rytek Kutas. It contains a staggering amount of information but learning and understanding what it contains will help you in making good & safe sausage.

dverna
12-03-2017, 09:50 AM

Just ordered the book. Thanks for the info.

Did our first sausage this year. We are hooked

Smoke4320
12-04-2017, 11:40 AM
I'll send you what I have.

I would be interested in that as well if possible

rr2241tx
12-06-2017, 03:10 PM
Making your own can truly get out of hand before you realize it. Last year at the end of hunting season my friends all decided to have a "sausage party" at one of their ranch houses that has easy to clean tile floors. Everyone brought meat, spices, casings, etc., and especially etc. An immoderate amount of etc., mostly good bourbon. We had been working pretty steadily at it for a few days when the deputy sheriff showed up to do a health and welfare check on us because our wives had been told this was a weekend deal and it was getting on into a second weekend and no one had thought to check in with them. The smoke house was so full the rafters were about to break and the double carport had sausages drying until it looked like a South Carolina live oak full of Spanish moss. We probably won't make sausage again this year...

Smoke4320
12-06-2017, 04:59 PM
Sounds like fun .. Already seeing sausage making is just like reloading and casting If I keep buying equipment , spices, casings, ect ect someday I am going to save money ... yea RIGHT :) :)

USMC87
12-06-2017, 07:41 PM
I have a Cabelas 3/4 hp grinder and it is great, I use the manual hand crank cuber and it does fine for the amount I do.

Lloyd Smale
12-07-2017, 08:00 AM
25lbs of brats Bratts need fat and I use only pork but but if using venison don't use more then a 1/3 ven 2/3 pork or they will be to lean.
6 TBS salt
2tsp mace
1tsp nutmeg
2tsp white pepper
2tsp allspice
2tsp marjoram
2tsp parsley
1tsp celery seed
1TBS garlic powder
1TBS onion powder
1tsp sage.
2 cups powder milk
1 cup water.

Smoke4320
12-07-2017, 08:36 AM
Lloyd Many thanks for sharing that ..
are you smoking these or fresh and freezing

any tips as I am all new to sausage making

Lloyd Smale
12-07-2017, 09:36 AM
brats I stuff in casings and freeze fresh. I sometimes will cook them in the smoker though. Not often because my smoker is so big its hard to justify firing it up for a few brats. No reason you couldn't smoke them for a couple hours though and then freeze them. Personaly I like my brat to taste like a brat and probably prefer them not smoked.

Elkins45
12-08-2017, 08:40 AM
For those of us with slightly underpowered grinders, one of the best tricks I have learned over the last few years is to have your meat cubes still just slightly frozen when you run them through. It prevents "smear" where the front plate gets clogged up with membrane and tendon. Anther thing that has made a HUGE difference is to sharpen the cutter blade with a flat stone. My grinder has carbon steel parts and the blade had gotten dull from being washed and then rusting a tiny bit while drying. I found this made a huge difference with my old hand crank grinder because I think it had sat in a barn for 40 years before I started using it.

Down South
12-08-2017, 09:35 AM
For those of us with slightly underpowered grinders, one of the best tricks I have learned over the last few years is to have your meat cubes still just slightly frozen when you run them through.
You are correct. the colder the meat, the better for any grinder. I cube my meat and put it in the freezer to almost freezing before running through my grinder.

Lloyd Smale
12-08-2017, 04:29 PM
I did it too back in the day. this new grinder you could probably feed a whole deer leg bone and all in it and it would eat it as fast as you shoved it in.

blikseme300
12-08-2017, 07:46 PM
So today we had this, which is very rare here:

So I made some of these for droewors, (dry sausage):

And 30# of Boerewors, (Boer sausage):

Down South
12-10-2017, 09:10 PM
I won't be making Brats but I do have three deer on ice. I'll be making sausage next weekend.

Smoke4320
12-12-2017, 08:32 AM
Well now have the grinder, stuffer, slicer, knives, meat lugs, vacuum sealer & material, food grade gloves, casings (natural, collagen and fiberous), spices
Sunday afternoon as a test i mixed up 4. 1lb test batches to try. 3 pork breakfast and one chicken sausage recipe.
Since these were for just testing the spice mix we rolled some as caseless links and some as pattys then wrapped and froze them
Monday we cooked a sample of each
Was very happy that one of the pork and the chicken turned out real good
Figured this way i would not make 20-25 lbs and then it turned out bad
Thoughts on this process

blikseme300
12-13-2017, 02:14 PM
Well now have the grinder, stuffer, slicer, knives, meat lugs, vacuum sealer & material, food grade gloves, casings (natural, collagen and fiberous), spices
Sunday afternoon as a test i mixed up 4. 1lb test batches to try. 3 pork breakfast and one chicken sausage recipe.
Since these were for just testing the spice mix we rolled some as caseless links and some as pattys then wrapped and froze them
Monday we cooked a sample of each
Was very happy that one of the pork and the chicken turned out real good
Figured this way i would not make 20-25 lbs and then it turned out bad
Thoughts on this process

Sounds to me that you did your research well before diving in. Doing small test batches is the way to go, especially when the recipe is unproven to you.

One of the major advantages of making your own sausage is that you can adjust it to your preference. I do recommend to folks that are new to sausage making is to use ready to use spice mixes until they are comfortable with the process.

The reason I mention this is that there are sometimes quite large variations in potency of some individual spices depending on the source and variety. I buy most of my spices from a wholesaler in 1# bulk lots as this is much cheaper than the branded products at the supermarket. A coffee grinder is useful to grind and mix these bulk spices.

What I typically do with new recipes is to make a 1# batch and then fry a small patty to test for taste, especially for salt. Different recipes call for different types of salt and this can throw things off badly, just like with any cooking. The flavor of the sausage will be off (not as developed) until it has rested for a few hours so don't add more spice to the mix to adjust to taste. If you do, the final product will typically be over-flavored.

As with reloading, keep good notes. This is important.

Enjoy