PDA

View Full Version : Inductive cooktop.

john.k
11-29-2017, 01:03 AM
I notice an inductive cooktop hotplate for $25 in the store.2kW.I have read that these plated have temperature limiting inbuilt,so s you cant melt steel with them.Or lead ,for that matter.Is there any simple way this can be got around?.My casting pot is fabricated from steel pipe with a 1/2" base,so it will work ok.I have always used the electric stove and it works good,but people see issues.Time for a change.

rancher1913
11-29-2017, 06:21 AM
inductive is not good for long use, thats why they say not to can on it, same would go for using it to melt lead.

wimms
11-29-2017, 07:07 AM
I have tried. The problem with table top induction stoves is they use Litz wire coil and it does not stand up to temps above 400F so it must be protected. You may put a layer of stove insulation ceramic fiber mat under your pot, but it won't work very well. Pot detection circuit will give you fits and keeping the pot farther away from the coil affects badly the induction heating. It will be struggle.

You may want to construct a separate induction heater around your pot, search for "induction heater furnace". You may also replace the internal Litz wire coil with external solid copper tube coil around your pot, but the winding parameters of the coil are critical and not trivial to get right. Doing it wrong would blow up your tabletop stove electronics.

In short, could be done, but not easy way.

john.k
11-29-2017, 08:06 PM
Thanks for the replies.Ive been casting on the stove for 50 years,so looks like i will continue.Its strange how none of the new technology stuff is any good.

Wayne Smith
11-30-2017, 10:59 AM
EVERY technology has limitations. You won't melt copper or silver in your lead pot. It is simply recognizing the limits of the technology and not trying to push beyond them.

bangerjim
11-30-2017, 06:13 PM
Induction tops are EXCELLENT for what they are designed to do......COOK FOOD!!!!!!!!!! Not for melting lead! We have 3 of them and use them instead of the kitchen stove anymore. I can control the cook temp within 5F! Amazingly fast and accurate.

Stick with what works........gas/propane/nat gas.

I hope your "casting on a stove" is outdoors and NOT in your house or kitchen!

Dragonheart
12-06-2017, 04:22 PM
I will ditto the induction on cooking food. I use induction and a cast iron fry pot in my outdoor grill/kitchen. It heats up quickly and fries great, but wouldn't recommend it for a lead pot.

Years ago, before I got my RCBS Pro Melt I used a Coleman Gas Camping Stove that served me well with a cast iron casting pot.

john.k
12-06-2017, 08:26 PM
The cheap cooktops is sold out,but it got me to wondering.....if induction technology is so cheap,why dont the casting pot makers use it.....I do know induction melts metal,cause I worked for a co once that had 15 ton brass pots with copper tube induction coils,and a switchroom big as a house.

iomskp
12-07-2017, 06:33 PM
Inductive technology is great, however I am not a fan of the domestic models, I am a service agent for several brands and the failure rate is very high, good for me but not the customer.

Regards Trevor